2015 690 Enduro- mods to improve reliability?

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

So about 12 months ago I accidently ended up with a 2015 690 r in my possession. It was a friend selling it with lots of rally raid farkles, very little miles and I have to say I really liked the way it rode (much better than my old XChallenge).

Anyway, lockdown now means I can catch up on the research that I should have done 12 months ago, such as what goes wrong with these bikes and how to avoid it.

At present bike runs fine, and i'd like to keep it that way.

Initial research suggests the bikes have 2 mains weak points- fuel pump and rocker arms.

I've had a quick look at fuel pumps, and some of the reviews on youtube suggest most of the aftermarket fuel pumps all come out of the same cheap Chinese mould.

I'd originally thought the fuel pump issue was down to crap getting into the pump and wrecking it, so i'd gone and purchased a Guglatech filter bag to go around the pump. So before I fit this to the bike, i'd also like to sort the fuel pump with something that has a better reputation- what do the collective recommend?

Also rockers- are these failures specific to certain years, or is it a common fault to all bikes including the Husky 701?

Other mods i'm looking at doing:

Replace the paper filter with a foam item. The bike already has a wings silencer fitter so I presume I've got to get this remapped. Is this something I could do myself (I've seen mention of special leads available), or am I better off taking it to the local KTM dealer for fettling?

Rear shock pre-load adjuster:

rally raid or X-trig? Considerable price difference between the two, but I presume the x-trig unit can bind up if the shock isn't spotless when you try and adjust the lock rings?

Anything else I need to check when I start pulling it to bits?

Nathan

Hi Nathan, hope you’re well. We’re just refurbing our 690’s now, a 2010 and 2011, which we did most of the mods on ages ago, just doing a refresh.

Fuel pump https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/ktm-690-enduro-fuel-pump been in 8 years, no problems.

No need to do rockers on 2015 bike, only affected earlier ones. Do do the rally raid tank and subframe bolts, rear brake pedal and gear lever, the OEM lever and pedal are made of cheese.
Recommend a golan external fuel filter, and also to replace the rear filler as the OEM one will cause crap to drop into the tank when you fill it up.

Maybe more, but generally ours have been excellent.

Happy to chat if you want,

Martin

Hi Nathan, hope you’re well. We’re just refurbing our 690’s now, a 2010 and 2011, which we did most of the mods on ages ago, just doing a refresh.

Fuel pump https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/ktm-690-enduro-fuel-pump been in 8 years, no problems.

No need to do rockers on 2015 bike, only affected earlier ones. Do do the rally raid tank and subframe bolts, rear brake pedal and gear lever, the OEM lever and pedal are made of cheese.
Recommend a golan external fuel filter, and also to replace the rear filler as the OEM one will cause crap to drop into the tank when you fill it up.

Maybe more, but generally ours have been excellent.

Happy to chat if you want,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the feedback. What is the issue with the rally raid tank and subframe bolts? made of the same cheese as the rear brake and gear lever?

Looks like the rear filler has already been done- it now has the same acerbis cap on it as the front tanks.

Nathan

I'm well, Nathan, also fiddling with bikes in the garage!

These are what's on bikes (for the correct year bike).

https://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/cj-designs-2019-ktm-690-filler-neck/

just raises the neck of the filler out of the recess but sounds like yours is done.

Subframe and tank bolts can fail, so worth doing, also we've added Evo 2 bigger tanks (upgraded from Evo 1) as normal tank range is about 100 miles only.

I've got a couple of spare bits if you're interested, Trail Tech headlight, HDB hand guards and top clamp.

If we ever get let out fancy doing a bit of the UK TET and camping/B&B over a long weekend?

Can’t see us getting out of the UK this year, apparently Macron is keeping borders closed till October.

HI Nathan,

Hans here. I have a 690 as well now after a few years off dirt bikes. Anytime you want a trip to the Plain just shout.

HI Nathan,

Hans here. I have a 690 as well now after a few years off dirt bikes. Anytime you want a trip to the Plain just shout.

Sounds good to me! Just need to wait for the plain to dry out a little...

Back
Top Bottom