Looking for a California restoration job

Just to throw a spin ball, there’s a guy on eBay item number 274330874970, who seems to have a couple of quota’s for sale. Nothing to do with me other than watching them on the auction

Yes I’ve been in touch with him, they’re off eBay now. I think he’s waiting for things to settle down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That T3 Cally is dead cheap.

Gutsibits will have all the parts I’m sure.

Good luck Nin, a nice dilemma to have

Nicely put Brian.

I am beginning to discover there are loads out there, ranging from late 1970's in boxes, through to mid-90's at bargain prices.

Mebbe need to reflect on this a bit further and try a few out for size.

Looking longer term Nin
The older round head Tontis always seem to attract a premium. So possibly for a little more now, it’ll be more desirable in years to come..
Or not. Who knows.

Me, I just love old Tontis.

cali 3 ff , rare bike , no more than 10 in the country . THAT is early FI model . even rarer . do not butcher it. do not throw away anything from it , you will find it hard to replace bits if you throw it up the road.

strangely, i have a cali 3 ff carb, on my bench right now !

Looking longer term Nin
The older round head Tontis always seem to attract a premium. So possibly for a little more now, it’ll be more desirable in years to come..
Or not. Who knows.

Me, I just love old Tontis.

Yep just had a chat with a fella who has one in boxes. Unfortunately it's going to need work on heads, barrels, suspension, silencers, bevel box, shaft splines ... So more than double the asking price just in parts.

Does look nice though ...

cali 3 ff , rare bike , no more than 10 in the country . THAT is early FI model . even rarer . do not butcher it. do not throw away anything from it , you will find it hard to replace bits if you throw it up the road.

I think it has been thrown up the road already!

Not getting any answer now from the seller, so maybe not an option any more.

There's a reason there are only ten in the country ;)

Andres

There's a reason there are only ten in the country ;)

Andres

I did see what used to be one at a rally last year, it had one of those hand made aluminium tanks that was made in Dumfries, it looked much better, in cafe ish style, it’s just a tonti frame underneath, it had normal flat bars

Though it could hardly look worse.

Doesn’t look that bad

6bf9262a02b706f2157f17ce20685300.jpg

I think that’s an improvement on the naked cali 3. Not saying much though.

Still can’t beat a nice T3 California.

Ah we are narrowing it down to two options ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right this seems to be the leading option just now as the right balance between price, condition and rarity.

As I understand, it’s a ‘92 Tonti frame with 948 fuel injected motor and a barn door bolted on the front. There is a variant with different clocks and a fly screen which looks a bit nicer and would be easy to adapt to while I repair the fairing.

Now just got to work out how to get the bleeding thing.

dad04521c18c775704ff67d8e795fb57.jpg
16ec2f3af82ffa86538c85ad65221220.jpg
9cac8326be2d52090605c0f9dd2172c9.png
f1a8be4f9508827e0dcef11c21869c3f.png
de383f5658fd8b1ef3f9556432f0a3f4.png
bc85facf9d5968be2db132e0646ba327.png

That'll keep yee busy...:D

Re the speedo/tachometer/headlight -
Yours are electronic & if it's the same as my 2 X SP3's I had which also had the dash / clocks etc as yours.

Because of this the engine if its the same won't have the cable points on the engine as the SP3's engine weren't there.
That was major reason I sold the last one rather than convert it to a naked bike.
Plus your headlight will be built in with a frame holding it all together.

The naked Tonti bikes just use headlight brackets, cable dials & just tiny idiot light binnacle..

Maybe yours will have the cable drive take off on the engine but I doubt it.. ( sadly )

Good luck in your task, I love doing them...

You could put an electronic instrument panel on like an Acewell. I've fitted a few on BMW airheads in the past.

Or.... that fairing wouldn't be my instinctive choice but as you have it... you could just keep it as is, and purr all the way through France on B roads. How brilliant would that be?

Great, well I am glad you found a project and I'm really glad it's a Guzzi.

Enjoy it!

Cheers chaps - but it seems I can’t actually get hold of it until lockdown ends, which is fair enough.

So while I’m waiting, if anyone can come up with an 850 T3 Cali, not necessarily in need of restoration, then I’d be interested in that as well.

Cheers aye!

Right so now I am properly sorted. That’s more like it.

db95b21445f112ca1b0e89759824a9b8.jpg

Looks like something to ride while you fix the other one up!

Back
Top Bottom