More advice please guys Tyres this time !!

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok all the reviews say the RT handles really well, mines ok but I wouldnt say its great !! my Africa twin seems to handle much better

ive got Pilot Road 4s on it at the moment and the tread looks really good but they ride like they are squared off although they dont really feel it to the touch maybe a very little if im being honest !!

Anywas as ive just bought the bike and its now on 14K my thinking is just to replace them and hope its them that dont feel right

Ive heard that PR5s have really good wet grip, the bikes main use will be for the Blood running so in all weathers and touring with the Mrs on the back ive got other bikes for other things so that will be its main purpose

any advice on tyres would be great

thanks

Rob

I like the Conti Road Attack 3’s, good handling and feedback, excellent grip in wet and dry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avon Storm 3D are what I use on my all year bike. They cope with winter commuting, touring in Spain at 40C and give excellent mileage. In the US they used to give a 15,000 mile warranty but I don't see that on my bike. Changed at 8000 miles with tread left but I wanted a new set for a long trip to France & Spain. I ride an R1200RS so a lot lighter than your RT but they were originally designed for big, heavy bikes like a GT version of the Storm 2. Avon have a more recent design so they are also quite cheap. I pay £190 a pair at Protyre (aka Merityre) for a ride in ride out service.
I am on my 2nd set and hopefully get to fit a 3rd set later this year.

I like the Conti Road Attack 3’s, good handling and feedback, excellent grip in wet and dry...

These are my current favourite, but Metzeler, Dunlop & Michelin will all serve you well. They all exceed most peoples abilities, & expectations.

Front-120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W) Roadtec 01-Part Code-2669800- Standard

Rear-180/55ZR17M/CTL (73W)(HWM) Roadtec 01-Part Code2681300- HWM spec
Great tyres in the wet and dry

You should be running the GT version of Pilot Roads, if using Michelin, so PR4GT or the 5GT. If running Michelin, they recommend adding a couple of pounds to the front to stop cupping (I have an email from Michelin Tyre Techs explaining why you should use the GT version and not the standard tyre). So I run the fronts at 38 rears 42. On my 2014 I always used 4GTs and never had any issues at all, but could tell when they went off, which was nearly always before they ran out of tread. On my 1250 I have Z8s and again have found no issues with them. So tyres are personal and as some have said, not many of us actually use the tyres to their max. When the Metzlers run out, I might be tempted back to the Michelin 5GTs.

I would recommend joining 1200RT.com which is an European based RT forum, lots of info on there. There is also an RT facebook page, which has a lot of US members. I also use the LT forum, which has an RT section, US based, but some UK members and again lots of good info.

Thanks Guys

Narrowed it down to Roadtec 01s of Pilot Road 5s

Went on the net last night and could not find anyone who had stock of either, they all say in stock until you go to pay so ended up having to get Pilot Road 4GT in HWM they are supposed to be here tomorrow so will fit them as soon as they arrive and see what difference it makes Im hoping its a lot to be honest !!

Thanks Again
Rob

Thanks Casbar
I checked mine last night and they are standard PR4s not the GT spec so hopefully going to the GT spec should improve the bike
Ill go 38 Front see how it feels and will join the 1200RT.com without a doubt

Thanks again

Rob

Hi Rob

I got BT 023 GT on mine for trip last year

200 fitted and I thought they were excellent wet and dry.

Mileage reports good too

Maybe worth a thought if you don’t mind “last years” styling as it were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll ping you a pm with the email I got from Michelin about using the standard vs GT. The front is notorious for cupping if you run them at 36 (Michelins at least) following the same pressures with the Z8s and everything is good so far

My current and future tyres of choice are the Pirelli Angel 2GT (A spec.).
Done 3k miles on through the winter and i'm mighty impressed. They are just as good, if not better than anything i've tried from Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop and Metzler.
Great wet grip, handling and ride quality. they are also wearing well too, and they are pretty good value .

Hi everyone, have run an RT 1200 on PR4 GT’s, Metzler 01’s (standard front, heavyweight rear as advised by Metzler UK) and finally Pirelli Angel GT 2’s. PR4’s were brilliant when first fitted but wow did the front tyre cup, the Metzler 01 in my opinion was the better tyre same wet grip but more sporty and I never had the front tyre noise some forums reported. Never tried the PR5 as GT version came late so went for the Angel GT2 which to date was my favourite tyre again standard front heavyweight rear. For the majority of us they are all very good. Now have an RT1250 with OEM Z8’s so next tyre will be the new Metzler 01 SE, Metzler have said standard 01SE tyres fine for the RT, safe riding and for me wet grip remains my main priority in the UK.

Hi everyone, have run an RT 1200 on PR4 GT’s, Metzler 01’s (standard front, heavyweight rear as advised by Metzler UK) and finally Pirelli Angel GT 2’s. PR4’s were brilliant when first fitted but wow did the front tyre cup, the Metzler 01 in my opinion was the better tyre same wet grip but more sporty and I never had the front tyre noise some forums reported. Never tried the PR5 as GT version came late so went for the Angel GT2 which to date was my favourite tyre again standard front heavyweight rear. For the majority of us they are all very good. Now have an RT1250 with OEM Z8’s so next tyre will be the new Metzler 01 SE, Metzler have said standard 01SE tyres fine for the RT, safe riding and for me wet grip remains my main priority in the UK.

On my 1200 I always had PR4GTs, also on the advice of Michelin ran the front pressure around 38, which helped massively with cupping. On my 1250 I have Z8s and have ridden the bike all year around and have found nothing wrong with the Z8s grip wet or dry. So so you think there the Z8s are not very good, or do you just think the 01s will be even better. I am considering the 5GTs next, but like I said I have had no issues with the Metzlers.

I find the Z8’s fine a good tyre and wouldn’t change until necessary but the 01’s are next gen, those or the 5GT will be superb on the RT1250 ��

Back
Top Bottom