New kit for £1000

It's great in the winter, crap in the heat
Thanks Andy, I have a Rev'it mesh suit for all the hot days we get here in Ireland and the odd European jolly.
I use my laminate gear for probably 80% of my riding, I was just wondering about the armour.........if it has good armour, I would definitely consider one.

from my G8 ThinQ

So rides a GSA and lives in Llanelli so it will rain a lot:)

KLIM Badlands Pro suit is possibly the best I’ve used

Twat suits are good and deals to be had at the moment

Rukka deals about at the moment as well M&P had 20% off then if you go to Motolegends they will price match + 10% I’ve just saved £500 on a new Rukka suit :)

BME Enduro guard suit is brilliant again and great deals about as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Need something for all year round but won’t be planning on riding in really bad weather.

I never plan to ride in really bad weather it just fecking turns out that way:)

You dont need to spend that sort of money to get something that works. Get yourself a made to measure suit from Scott Leathers and treat it twice a year with Nike tent waterproofer. Dry as a bug in a rug. I had two horrific days going to and coming back from TT last year and i was bone dry when i got home. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Revitt Poseidon suit which is a mix of two layer and three layer Gortex laminate 240 miles in heavy rain and wind on the GS in one hit and no leaks. Drys quickly too as the water doesn’t penetrate. Without the thermal liners and with the magnetic vents open was ok up to about 27c heat. Now on a mk 2 version might squeak in under a grand.

Suit is 3 years and about 25 thousand miles old and been washed 3 times. Still leak free:)

Having recently replaced jacket, boots and trousers and spending an ornate amount of time trying to get a fitting at a dealer, the right size in, the right price, the right mix of venting, laminate vs inners etc etc etc my observations are that you get decent kit for cheap money. Trousers for around £200 and jackets for around £300. Hassle is finding one with a warranty longer than 1 year. If you go for gore tex, you get a lifetime warranty at a premium. My boots and jacket were both replaced by goretex after 7 years and 50k. Saying that, my trousers that were cheaper than the goretex brands (Halvarssons) and they lasted the same, but I had to replace them at my own expense. Swings and roundabouts. I like the Dane clothing range and if you call them, they will probably offer you a discount code (they did me). You can get good kit for £150 but will need replacing in a year. 6 new jackets over 6 years vs a rukka for same total price that is guaranteed for 6 years. What I settled on was expensive gear as it's so much faff looking and I can't be arsed going through it all again every year. So my gear is now sorted for the next 6 years at least leaving me more time to just ride...

There is no such thing as the perfect suit for ALL conditions and spending lots of dosh doesn't really change that. Some are better when it's hot, some when it's not. Some are good in the wet, some not. Some stuff is made to really protect you, some pay only lip service to protection in the interests of looking good.

In reality you spend will most of your time riding in dry conditions so Goretex and similar suits are a bit wasted, and in hot and/or humid weather the waterproofing is a bit of liability. That said I did buy a 2nd hand Klim Badlands suit as I was fed up of putting waterproofs on at the side of the road in showery conditions. I cant say I am smitten by the suit and I always feel a bit of a twat in the full suit so I usually wear leather or kevlar jeans with the jacket. In summer and trips abroad its usually leather jacket & kevlar jeans with waterproofs when needed. In winter its Klim jacket with a heated jacket under and leather jeans for knocking about or the full Klim suit for a longer trip.

The guys at Motolegends are great to deal with and know their stuff. Phone or message them and see what they suggest.

My suggestion would be a Halvarssons Celtic leather jacket (<£500) in black, water repellent and "stay cool" with Halvarssons Celtic leather jeans (<£400) and for when it gets very wet a Richa Road Warrior 2 piece waterproofs for about £50 for over the leathers. :okay

so for just shy of £900 bucks one gets only a years warranty on zips, waterproofness, buttons, fastening etc and not burning his proofs on the exhaust.. Buy cheap and often I say or buy expensive and save time looking. Yes, not all suits suit all people, all conditions...but nothing worse than trying to dry textile trousers in a tent on an EU jaunt and Having To Ride the next day again...in wets...

If your around a size 50, I’m not. I’m about to sell a 10mth old Bering Balistik jacket and trousers, cost new £570 my price £450 and that will include the back protector that’s not included on the new price. This is a triple laminate suit and gets a good review from Bennetts

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...ik-laminate-motorcycle-jacket-trousers-review

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com...ight-bering-balistik-laminate-jacket-trousers

It’s a large and should equate to a 52, but it’s just a tad nippy for me. It has a three year warranty as well.

PM if your interested as I haven’t advertised it yet as I have an old HG to sell first.

so for just shy of £900 bucks one gets only a years warranty on zips, waterproofness, buttons, fastening etc and not burning his proofs on the exhaust.. Buy cheap and often I say or buy expensive and save time looking. Yes, not all suits suit all people, all conditions...but nothing worse than trying to dry textile trousers in a tent on an EU jaunt and Having To Ride the next day again...in wets...

The issue with that thinking is that no matter how much money you spend, no one suit will perform well in all conditions.

Laminate - great for wet & cold, not great for wet & warm, crap for dry & warm.

Mesh - great for dry & warm, not great for dry & cold, crap for wet & cold.

After a lot of thinking and researching, I've personally ended up with multiple different outfits. Which I wear on any given day depends on my weather app and a glance out the window.

My most versatile go-to outfit when I'm not sure what the weather will do is my Dainese D-Stormer jacket (level of venting approaching that of a summer mesh jacket, waterproof liner removed), zipped to my Dainese Assen leather pants. Waterproof layer is my Scott Ergonomic jacket & pants.

No amount of money buys a single suit that will do well in dry 34-degrees and wet 2-degrees...

The issue with that thinking is that no matter how much money you spend, no one suit will perform well in all conditions.

After a lot of thinking and researching, I've personally ended up with multiple different outfits. Which I wear on any given day depends on my weather app and a glance out the window.

My most versatile go-to outfit when I'm not sure what the weather will do is my Dainese D-Stormer jacket (level of venting approaching that of a summer mesh jacket, waterproof liner removed), zipped to my Dainese Assen leather pants. Waterproof layer is my Scott Ergonomic jacket & pants.

No amount of money buys a single suit that will do well in dry 34-degrees and wet 2-degrees...

True, it’s all about which compromises you’re willing to accept.

I’ve a Rukka Navigatorr jacket, a Forsair jacket, a pair of Armaxion trousers and a pair of armoured jeans.

Switching between various combinations keeps me relatively comfortable alongside a Warm & Safe heated liner and BMW waterproof shell jacket.

The real trick to “affordable” clothing is in the timing of your purchases.

Laminate suits don't suit warm-weather riding, regardless of what Rukka fanboys claim...

I agree with that. Anything more than 25C or so in Rukka GoreTex and you'll be hot.....unless it's their Forsair stuff, in which case you'll be blissfully cool. But not waterproof.

Horses for courses....

Very true. I have a Rukka Nivala suit for 7-9 months of the year and it's so far been perfect. I do find the trousers to be a bit of a pain unless I know it is going to be really cold and wet outside. If it's only going to be moderately cold and wet, I'll wear the Nivala jacket (with the down liner packed in a bag in case it gets proper cold) and a pair of Rokker waterproof jeans. If it's a bit colder, I'll wear a pair of merino leggings underneath.

In fact - the Rukka Nivala jacket and Rokker Revolution waterproof jeans are probably my main "go to" motorcycle clothes. (with TCX GoreTex boots and Rukka Goretex gloves)

For hot weather, I have a Rukka Forsair Pro jacket and I'll still wear the Rokker jeans. Normally, I chuck an RST bright yellow waterproof jacket in a bag in case it pisses down, and also the Rukka Nivala down liner in case it suddenly gets really cold (like mountain passes). If it's likely to get hotter than really hot I also have a pair of non waterproof Rokker jeans that flow a lot of air.

For me, I don't really want to be getting off the bike to be wrestling myself into plasticky "wets" if it starts raining heavily, so flexibility is what I look for in clothing. But IMHO there is nothing that really suits all possible conditions unless you mix and match a bit.

Agreed - with any one size fits all solution there always has to be compromises. When touring Europe in summer of 2018 I wore Rev'it Airwave jacket and trousers which have more holes than a tea bag so they were perfect for the hot weather. Well armoured too, but not an ounce of waterproofedness, so I brought along Oxford Rain Seal jacket and trousers to throw on top of the Revit stuff when the rain came down. Worked a treat as the 30+ degC temps were bearable and the Oxford stuff kept me cosy and dry whether in the rain or when riding the passes at high altitude.

I've since picked up the Oxford Mondial laminate gear and am very impressed with the venting on it - but even that would have been too heavy for the hot weather we experienced. Perfect for riding around in Ireland's shite weather though! :p

Shopping around online at the end of the season, can save money by buying last years models/ styles/ colours. Stockists are often keen to clear space for new arrivals.

I also use Motolegends ‘price beater’ guarantee to save, although hanging on too long for a bargain can mean that some sizes are no longer available.

The new Richa laminate suit's going to very hard to beat at 500 quid all in, half your budget and leaves a packet for fun stuff. Motolegends have a video out about it.

Back
Top Bottom