Is this worth a punt at £2.5k

The 'S' is a much nicer looking bike IMHO but a good buy nonetheless :thumb

Hey Andy,
Just realised I still have this,
Obv not an Oe item but would look considerably better than the RT thing.
I’ve prob got some Oe headlamp “ears as well:thumb

Attachments

• 6806AA97-B3BB-448D-AD3D-E3E02EF44804.jpg
    6806AA97-B3BB-448D-AD3D-E3E02EF44804.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 324
  • F3A28FE9-06FB-47E2-B5A6-326F9A5827BD.jpg
    F3A28FE9-06FB-47E2-B5A6-326F9A5827BD.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 361
@ Magnon,

if you keep the fairing on it, will you color match the spot covers , or keep them as is in silver ??

For some reason, although they look good, it just makes it look odd

Those spots. I had an RT with the same installation. You pop them out using the handles near the glove boxes. As they move out (independently), each has an isolating microswitch that then enables it to work when selected, to stop them coming on when stowed and setting your fairing alight. One of them comes on, via a relay, with the headlamp (making 2 front lamps) and the other only comes on, via a relay, when full beam is selected. At that point, the other spot goes out (via, you guessed it, another relay). A few relays in there, then. The sealed beam units are now unobtainium; you may find a match looking at mid-seventies VWs. I used to liken them to Buccaneer air brakes* when deployed!

I thought I had dibs on the white sports fairing, Mikey, but it's yours to sell it to whomsoever you like!

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf4N8tkfP2w you will see what I mean!

So i've got the bike in the workshop and had a good look round and found a few issues that resulted in the owner agreeing to sell it to me. He ran out of patience as he couldn't get is to run right. He has owned it since Feb 2008 mileage at that time was 28,713 confirmed by MOT cert. Current indicated mileage is 28,753 is likely correct. 40 miles in 12 years, is that some sort of record?

The earliest MOT cert he gave me confirms mileage in 1992 was 14,408.

Anyway i digress back to issues, i removed the air intake pipe from the l/h cylinder (no reason but had to start somewhere) and found the needle was not entered in the needle jet! picture below. (sorry in despair, rotation of pictures on this site):aidan.

Removed rocker covers and checked tappet clearances and adjusted, noted slight tightness turning engine over TDC L/H side, investigated and removed cyl head, piston fitted 180 degrees out! (arrow pointing aft).

This has resulted in very slight mark on piston exhaust pocket, i've removed this mark with half round scraper, valve removed and checked for runout, not bent reinstalled and all 4 checked by filling ports with sprit, no leaks.

All internal parts are clean and bright with no carbon as if it's just been rebuilt! It turns out it has!

Bores and piston rings are perfect without marks or any scores, cam followers and lobes perfect, all components look like the low mileage engine I believe it is.

So back in 2008 the heads and barrels were removed to the replace leaking pushrod tube seals, whilst off unleaded exhaust valve seats were fitted, and owner did the re-assembly of the top end himself, just not to a diligent standard.

I also noted the barrel joint had no sealant only grease but also no 'O' ring, looking at year of manufacture 06/78 it seems no 'O' was used until later engine. Obviously oil would have leaked at the barrel to crankcase face. the two small rings were installed both sides.

So i've order what's needed from Motobins and once to hand i'll get it rebuilt and report back.

Really happy with what i've found, it's been a great investment in terms of lockdown distraction, cycle parts need to be checked out, front brake master cylinder (Magura handlebar mounted) needs and bit of TLC as can't feel the spring return of piston against lever.

Once I've confirmed engine runs as expected and everything else checks out i'll fit some new tyres, did I mention it had new rear brake pads in December 2006 fitted by All Bikes in Rochdale mileage @ 27,000 :augie

Attachments

• Needle issue.jpg
    Needle issue.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 235
Good stuff Andy,
Tho to be fair ,you have enough projects to see you through any amount of social distancing.:D

The 640 fired up on the button tonight with the newly fitted NON CHINESE battery.

Neighbours will be wondering what the racket was, makes a change from the fcuking silence:D

Does that mean you’re selling it then ?

Ha, nothing would give me more pleasure having a fistful of your money, but as you know it’s the best 640A out there so its a keeper, well for a while longer.

Promise I’ll let you know.....:augie

Turned out pretty nice I’d say, runs and rides like a good un.

Left all the marks on the frame and paintwork but electrically and mechanically it’s sound.

Fairing lowers still require small repair but it’s pretty much all I intend to do to it for now.

MOT next then a night ride to checkout the lighting performance which I assume will be good.

Attachments

• FA948859-C583-4F3C-9B1F-34989913CBEB.jpg
    FA948859-C583-4F3C-9B1F-34989913CBEB.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 161
Magnon;5710061 to checkout the lighting performance which I assume will be good.[/QUOTE said:
It's still an airhead remember, I wouldn't be expecting to light up the night sky in too dramatic a way!

Great work by the way, you seemed to find its issues very quickly. That's an interesting bike and has cleaned up really well.

Back
Top Bottom