KTM 390 Adventure

yes but it cheap and made from pig iron.

So is my CB500X and it was half rotten when I bought it at under 2 years old with under 3k on the clock. Let's hope it is slightly better made than the Honda!

At least it will make a change if all the fancy electronics turn out to be the most reliable part of the bike.

So is my CB500X and it was half rotten when I bought it at under 2 years old with under 3k on the clock. Let's hope it is slightly better made than the Honda!

At least it will make a change if all the fancy electronics turn out to be the most reliable part of the bike.

My 390's in good condition and isn't pampered. It's been a fantastic bike and the only problem I've had is a loose electrical connection on the starter solenoid.

Hopefully I'll be taking it to and around The Alps in again September.

My wife has a 390 Duke and I gave it a dose of ACF50 when she bought it nearly 2 years ago, it’s been cleaned about twice a year since then and it still looks like new so unless the 390 Adventure is built to a lower standard they should be ok.

I suppose when you compare them to the baby GS they’re not so porky but why can’t they make a genuinely light adventure bike that the rider would be happy using either on a holiday trip or for local green lanes? I’d put the 390 Adventure firmly in the new rider bracket and if there’s one way to put a new rider off green laning it’s to make the bike heavy.

making it lighter, means it's more/too expensive?

I think it’s more a case of current legislation regarding emissions plus the demand for additional toys are adding a fair portion of that weight.

Throw that exhaust system away and fit a totally illegal one with no cat and you’d save a few kilograms :D

Yes. Lost a few kilos off my 701 like that.

Inevitable that a properly road legal bike like the 390 or 701 ends up a bit porky with all the required legal bollocks fitted.

making it lighter, means it's more/too expensive?

Yeah, at the end of the day the 690 has about the same amount of parts, some may be slightly heavier duty (and therefore in theory heavier) but with a £10k price tag you can afford to use some more exotic materials, the "factory gate" cost of the 390 is likely to be a lot more than 50% of the 690 (if it was built in the same factory to the same spec) so something has to give.....

...But I am sure they could of done a bit better, been good for marketing if they got it down to CRF250L weight, which should of been possible without making it out of unobtanium.

If you compare prices between a 390, a 690 and a 500 EXC 6 day model you soon appreciate how much 1 kilo of motorbike can vary in price.

I’ve not bothered trying to save weight on my 501 and went down the route of fattening it up instead but I can be a bit irrational at times :D

Back
Top Bottom