Auxiliary Driving Lights - OEM functionality

philbuck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Auxiliary Driving Lights - ADLs

BMW sell their own brand of Auxiliary Driving Lights for the GS, GSA, RS, etc and they are designed to plug straight into the existing wiring loom. This is what was fitted to my RS when I purchased it last year.

My understanding of how it works is:-
If you have your Daytime Running Light (DRL) switched on, then the ECU on the bike will not allow the ADLs to come on. (Forget any use of the Auto function, this just defaults to a particular setting, unless external light levels deem otherwise………….or am I wrong here?)
If you have the headlight switched on (as opposed to the DRL), then you can freely switch the ADLs on and off, but as soon as you revert to the DRL, the ADL’s switch off. This is how BMW designed it.

Has anyone heard of any hacks to alter this switching arrangement without cutting the wiring loom up and bypassing the ECU/canbus system?

The switch that BMW supply is not a latching switch as far as I can see…….it’s just a push to make switch which I suspect just sends a pulse to the ECU to change its state. I have a “normal” system on my GS whereby a normal click switch brings in a fused relay, etc. ie total control.

The aux driving lights can be switched on and off when the daytime running light it on, on my 2018 GSA

The two replies above disproove my understanding, but confirm what a mate told me about his 2018 GSA and the lights. When this crisis is over I'll have to visit a dealer and see if they can shed any light on it.
I know it's got something to do with being controlled by the ECU, so if that functionality can be withdrawn, and it just left to do its' own thing.............!

With my 2015 GSA, the manual says I cannot have drl and spots on together, but I can.:nenau

Back
Top Bottom