BMW R1150GS And Yamaha XT660R OR KTM 990 Adventure? Why?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just recently becoming curious about the 950/990 Adventure...

Had the same itch..... been riding a 1999 1150gs for near 6 years... second bike is a motoguzzi v7 stone ... wanted to get the 990 adv... loved the look ..loved the whole ktm vibe... test rode one and loved it but it scared the bejesus out of me... a much lighter beast than the 1150... and very pokey.... the example I rode was a 2009 .... well maintained.... lovely pipes too

Decided that although the temptation to jump to the orange side was overwhelming, I decided to wait. Im very much a ride and camp kida rider so carrying plenty of weight was a given....

My first bike was a dominator nx650 single cylinder a tax frèe straight out of the box(left hand drive) . Ive always had a itch to scratch with the 660z tenere... so in september past I decided to get one a very well maintained and tidy bike .... i have to say going down in cc's has been a little weird but Im back to really enjoying 'riding' using the gears and working the bike. It is by no means fast but... it has taken me back to a time whence i really enjoyed the 600cc bike... simple to service and im not in any danger of breaking the speed limit without being careless...

I suppose the buying of my motoguzzi made me go back to a more simplified riding stance. Once you get used to the single cylinder of the yamaha and you are not in a rush then defo try the 660. I still have my 1150 as I am finding it hard to part with ... but i dont miss the weight of it.

Each to their own

Each to there own but maybe im getting old (44) i just seem to like the older generation of simplified riding....

:thumb2

I currently have both an R1150GS and an XT660R. I really like them both.

I had been planning on using the XTR for TET-type trips, and the GS for more road-oriented trips and/or two-up trips.

A 990 Adventure could probably do most of what I'd want the GS to do (but not as well), and most of what I'd want the XTR to do (but not as well).

I suspect the 990 would blow the GS away off-road, and blow the XTR away on-road.

There is something about the 990... :nod But is that something enough for that one bike to replace both the GS and the XTR? :nenau

My dream 5-bike collection would be, believe it or not...

1. My 2002 R1150GS.
2. My 2007 XT660R.
3. My 1998 VTR1000F FireStorm (sold it years ago... :blast).
4. Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Mk3 (tried a client's - loved it).
5. 2016-on (for the 6th gear) FJR1300 (had an FJ12 for 5 years - loved it).

I'm a believer that one do it all bike doesn't really work and that separate bikes are better for their respective roles. I've tried the one bike option. If I was gonna go the one bike route I'd go for a 650/690 single. I've done about 35,000 miles on my 690 on various trips.

Probly agree.

With the 990 now piquing my interest, the only way I could make one happen for myself would be to ditch the GS (hitherto regarded by me as my forever bike), and my XTR, which is a revelation for me for riding off road (compared with the GS and considering my off-road skill set).

If I could have the 990 but not lose the GS and XTR, I'd love to try it for a while... but to be fair, if that doesn't happen, I still love my GS and XTR, so I'm not "without".

Anyone chosen a 990 or 950 after an R1150GS? Regrets? Best move ever?

Probly agree.

With the 990 now piquing my interest, the only way I could make one happen for myself would be to ditch the GS (hitherto regarded by me as my forever bike), and my XTR, which is a revelation for me for riding off road (compared with the GS and considering my off-road skill set).

If I could have the 990 but not lose the GS and XTR, I'd love to try it for a while... but to be fair, if that doesn't happen, I still love my GS and XTR, so I'm not "without".

Anyone chosen a 990 or 950 after an R1150GS? Regrets? Best move ever?

I've had a 950 and a 1100GS. The GS was comfier on the motorway and better for a pillion, other than that the 950 was streets ahead for fun, excitement, thrashing around, off road and smile generation.

I've been riding 1150 Adventures for a lifetime. But like the OP I have a strong itch for a 990 Adventure. My 1150 Adventure lives outdoors and I'm concerned that a KTM might not like not living in a garage. But I have no foundation for my fears.

I've been riding 1150 Adventures for a lifetime. But like the OP I have a strong itch for a 990 Adventure. My 1150 Adventure lives outdoors and I'm concerned that a KTM might not like not living in a garage. But I have no foundation for my fears.

Does Sir recall his search for the GSA and how a casual glance located the one you have .......

If you sell you will never get another one as nice without paying a premium

Does Sir recall his search for the GSA and how a casual glance located the one you have .......

If you sell you will never get another one as nice without paying a premium

Sir will probably keep the 1150 until he decides which bike he really wants. :augie :augie

I once had a 950s. The exhaust rotted out. the fuel pump gave up. The rear spokes corroded. The fuel tanks started to de-laminate blocking the carbs up. The rear brake master cylinder seized. Only had 16k klms on it. Cost a lot of money to sort it all out. Got rid of it but i hear its still running well. Put me off KTM since.
A nice yamaha T700 is worth a look.

having done many thousands of miles on my 1250gsa and wouldn't have a word said wrong about it (and 1150, 1200 gas's before)......apart from lifting it up or pushing it out of my garage.....and yes you have to spin that computer dial a few times when scrolling to my date of birth... but, i then purchased a KTM790R several months ago for a particular trip i was about to do to Oz from April 2020..yes you guessed , I'm still sat here.
The KTM is now my go to bike ...fantastic to ride and extremely light and well balanced due to the low slung fuel tanks....piece of piss moving it around garage and easy to work on....it has sat nav, heated grips, comfy seat, telephone, radio, cruised lots more...super comfortable on long trips and the added bonus of on or off road without the weight. its is no slouch and has no problem when out riding with bigger bikes or two up. Needless to say that it is now my go to bike and for a very long time the 1250gsa has remained under a cover. Is bigger just a macho thing ?

I went from a R1150GS to a 950 adventure S 5 years ago.
I loved the GS, the only thing against it was that it was just a little slow.
The 950 still puts a big a smile on my face, has been reliable and is one of the most fun bikes I've had on 45 years of biking.
A bit fiddly to work on, mine has had a few issues along the way,the most significant of which was the fuel pump (common problem - easy fix).
I've done wheel bearings, steering bearings chain and sprocket, wear n tear in my view.
Checking and adjusting the valve clearances is a bit of a mission but pretty straightforward. Doing this job yourself will save you a few quid!

I love this bike! Full of character and brilliant fun.

I went from a R1150GS to a 950 adventure S 5 years ago.
I loved the GS, the only thing against it was that it was just a little slow.
The 950 still puts a big a smile on my face, has been reliable and is one of the most fun bikes I've had on 45 years of biking.
A bit fiddly to work on, mine has had a few issues along the way,the most significant of which was the fuel pump (common problem - easy fix).
I've done wheel bearings, steering bearings chain and sprocket, wear n tear in my view.
Checking and adjusting the valve clearances is a bit of a mission but pretty straightforward. Doing this job yourself will save you a few quid!

I love this bike! Full of character and brilliant fun.

Guess I’m just lucky because I’ve got one of each😀

Attachments

• D9459802-CE8D-485B-8711-4A623BDDD1FB.jpg
    D9459802-CE8D-485B-8711-4A623BDDD1FB.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 349
  • EA09158A-8C86-49FB-8EA7-CBF4D7891E4D.jpg
    EA09158A-8C86-49FB-8EA7-CBF4D7891E4D.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 404

Back
Top Bottom