Montana or Zumo XT

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst I use a GPS in the hills (mainly just to confirm position, no advanced use) and have a Garmin Inreach for the more remote places I don't have one for the bike, or car. If it's not built in I use paper maps.

So, about time I rectified that and seeing as how I hope to go to Mongolia next year in the Hilux, this is the time to do something about it. I want one I can use on the bike and on 4 wheels, want to be able to use tracks, load lots of maps of far away lands, update by wifi and not need a laptop or tablet. Don't want to make phone calls, don't need music.

Two options seem to be the Montana or the Zumo XT. Any clear winner?

The Montana is tried and tested, it’s few shortcomings known. The XT is brand new, with (apparently) some issues. How many and exactly what and why there are, is another matter entirely. The XT has only been out a matter of weeks, the full picture will no doubt be clearer by next year.... unless we are still locked in.

Purists (and there are some) on this website will say you should never take a GPS as you can navigate by using the stars, the course of ancient rock strata, the moss on trees and by conversing with local goat herders in up to 27 local dialects of 18 different languages.

Good point, just like a new GS model

Stars are best admired late evening after a dram. Goat herders will take your dram.

Goat herders will take your dram.

No, they are all good people, who (despite having nothing) will invite you to join them, will slaughter their entire flock and feast with you for days or weeks. I read it here.

Though some of the typing is so bad, it might have been meant to read: They will slaughter and fist you for days or weeks. Take care.

The Montana is tried and tested, we used them in Mongolia last year. The great thing about Montana’s is a thing called “profiles” which allow you to switch between say, car mode, or road bike mode or off road bike mode, with your own settings for each. There’s a car cradle and a bike cradle and battery life is good, and it’s easy to carry a spare battery and switch.

Advantage of the XT, is it’s ability to receive a route from an iphone or iPad etc. You probably can do this via an external device called a RAV hub ( see Wappings trials of this) but it’s tricky. Disadvantage of the XT is you can’t load UK os maps onto it. It’s also apparently got a very good screen.

The other one to consider is the 276cx, which uses the same cradles as the Montana and has a great screen. It’s got stacks of functionality so it takes some getting to grips with and the processor is a bit slow, but it uses buttons as well as touch screen which I like.

For me, the XT is a replacement for the 590/595 not a Montana or 276cx.

I think Berlin has nailed it.

Try out an XT, there is bound to be one or two coming up secondhand within the next 12 months. Then compare with the other device(s) at leisure. That would be my suggestion. Finding yourself fecked on the steppes, after being told on UKGSer that device XYZ was the bollocks (when he meant to say, it was bollocks) is a bit too late.

The great thing about Montana’s is a thing called “profiles” which allow you to switch between say, car mode, or road bike mode or off road bike mode, with your own settings for each.

I've been asking this to a few people who ordered XTs (not on this forum) but received no response as everyone was more attracted by the shininess of the new device.

Does the XT have profiles or anything similar to that when switching offroad/road maps?
Trying to understand if it does, as it affects my willingness to buy one.

I've been asking this to a few people who ordered XTs (not on this forum) but received no response as everyone was more attracted by the shininess of the new device.

Does the XT have profiles or anything similar to that when switching offroad/road maps?
Trying to understand if it does, as it affects my willingness to buy one.

No, and it doesn’t have the capability to use raster maps (such as Garmin GB discoverer), which limits its use as a device for trail riders. It does load OSM maps- the same as the 590.

Thank you Berin.

I use ISM maps on my 396. Really miss a functionality like profiles ("offroad" maps I use are non routable). Will check ADVrider.

There's a good thread on it over on ADV rider

The trouble with that thread is that, like so many on the site, it gets overlong and goes all over the place. One minute some bod is talking about some aspect of the XT being recognised (or not) by a Mac. The next minute it's another bod saying his XT wobbles in its mount on his KTM and the next, it's yet another bod talking about his maps, then another bod saying his doesn't wobble but he hasn't got a KTM and where can he buy a power lead.

All the ADV rider threads have lots of good info in them but take perseverance, plus they say pants when they mean trousers and talk a lot about how to fit guns onto motorcycles

All the ADV rider threads have lots of good info in them but take perseverance, plus they say pants when they mean trousers and talk a lot about how to fit guns onto motorcycles

I agree with you there. I used to subscribe to it quite a lot but for some reason or other I gave up. I rejoined when I was trying to ask someone for some help in the XT forum. A PM I sent to one of the US bods came back with an excellent, very clear, response. It's all you can ask for really.

Whilst I use a GPS in the hills (mainly just to confirm position, no advanced use) and have a Garmin Inreach for the more remote places I don't have one for the bike, or car. If it's not built in I use paper maps.

So, about time I rectified that and seeing as how I hope to go to Mongolia next year in the Hilux, this is the time to do something about it. I want one I can use on the bike and on 4 wheels, want to be able to use tracks, load lots of maps of far away lands, update by wifi and not need a laptop or tablet. Don't want to make phone calls, don't need music.

Two options seem to be the Montana or the Zumo XT. Any clear winner?

I have both an early Montana & an XT, since last week. I think the XT, when the software is sorted will be a great unit.

However, i do not think it will be anywhere near as robust in a true off road environment. I use my Montana all the time on my off road bike, when I came back from doing the Bakery off road run in Dec. the Montana was filthy & covered in dust / mud. I just sponged & dusted off - good as new. The Montana feels like a really well built piece of kit.

The XT has a speaker on the reverse that appears to be open to the elements, I am not sure it will be that great in a hostile off road situation.

In addition there is no way to 'tether' the unit to the bars & I am not convinced that I would run my shiny XT off road in that configuration.

I have also noticed, (UK specific) that it won't run OS maps so, off road you need to use OSM.

I really like the XT, but for the type of trip you are undertaking I would take a Montana (or both)!

I've got the Montana and I like it (BMW Nav V on the 'bike or in the Camper) :thumb2

Very robust and well made. Takes the Micro SD card (sits under the battery, but quick to get to) would be great if it had a dual slot, but I believe you can copy several Talkytoaster maps on to one card, on a folder you have to call GARMIN and then they will all be shown when you chose to change maps!

I've got the OS maps for it (not cheap) but pixelate and you lose detail as you zoom in.

The Talkytoaster Maps are great (I found out about them on another thread) They don't pixelate, you can zoom right in, and carry more detail in real terms than the OS maps.

The Talkytoaster maps are routable, show all the footpaths, so if set to 'hiking' profile should it not route via those footpaths?

Dunno, yet to try that Alastair (Northern Jock)

Maps available for the countries you're visiting :thumby:

:beerjug:

Thanks for the comments. There is a good thread on adv rider on the Montana - still working my way through 820 pages, as noted

Montana currently the front runner I think, re-enforced by the Tucks who bought one for their lengthy travels. I'll keep researching for a bit. I should have had a good look at yours in Portsoy Micky, can't do that just now

Montana currently the front runner I think, re-enforced by the Tucks who bought one for their lengthy travels. I'll keep researching for a bit. I should have had a good look at yours in Portsoy Micky, can't do that just now

I'll be back up there as soon as this sh1t has lifted Alastair :thumb

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom