The ‘79 California Rebuild Thread

Great stuff Mikey.Btw,I have always wondered how people manage to repair broken fins on engines...best I pay attention here at the back of the class..... ;)

Kimbo

This also pleases me

98eb5a4dcc2a7baae4ed2995875bdfac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure what the barrel status is - but when i built my Lemon I bored out the crankcases to fit bigger 950 Spada Barrels (and pistons ).......if youre going down this road now would be the time to do it.

Also a B10 Camshaft is a very good match to a 950 motor for modern riding.

..and timing gears, electronic ignition, lithium battery, decent rear shocks etc etc... :)

Also getting the clutch / flywheel lightened is a huge benefit

Not sure what the barrel status is - but when i built my Lemon I bored out the crankcases to fit bigger 950 Spada Barrels (and pistons ).......if youre going down this road now would be the time to do it.

Also a B10 Camshaft is a very good match to a 950 motor for modern riding.

..and timing gears, electronic ignition, lithium battery, decent rear shocks etc etc... :)

Also getting the clutch / flywheel lightened is a huge benefit

Oi! Stop it!

Chrome was flaking off the bores so it has new barrels, pistons etc. It's difficult to get the 850 set these days, so I'm fitting the 88mm bores to bring it up to 950. Although I think 850 is a little smoother and more refined.

Decent rear shocks? Indeed, I'll be talking to Mike Capon at The Shock Factory. Really like his stuff.

The jury is out on electronic ignition. Being an ex-Landrover and Mini owner I'm still a fan on the old school set-up, and can usually get right. One to watch though.

This one is just a bimble around bike so otherwise it can stay pretty stock, although as others have pointed out there's so much new on it already it's like Trigger's broom.

Next one though, probably based on a Quota. Think: love child of a Lucky Strike Elefant, HPN and Le Mans threesome. Rip snorting 950 in a single seat desert racer chassis.

Good grief I need a lie down.

BTW I could do with putting a 1000 Quota aside somewhere as a donor bike. Anyone got one? Although it's probably cheaper just to buy a V85 and be done with it.

Enough whingeing about cost, I put a thing together as therapy.

aa44c989f62960654a66ac63533f6dc4.jpg

And started sorting all the bits out for rebuild.

IMG_2554.JPGIMG_2553.JPG

And the bits to take up to Mike tomorrow.

IMG_2556.JPG

I’m loving this thread. As someone with the mechanical skills of a lettuce, I’m in awe :bow:bow

Having time on my hands now, I’d love to learn some of this stuff, trouble is, no one teaches it!!

I’m loving this thread. As someone with the mechanical skills of a lettuce, I’m in awe :bow:bow

Having time on my hands now, I’d love to learn some of this stuff, trouble is, no one teaches it!!

Although I don't have anywhere the skill that Nin does, I do have some mechanical abilities, although limited. So, buy yourself some thing cheap, a workshop manual, and just get stuck in. It's great fun a great way to learn and if everything goes tits up you've not lost to much.

Although I don't have anywhere the skill that Nin does, I do have some mechanical abilities, although limited. So, buy yourself some thing cheap, a workshop manual, and just get stuck in. It's great fun a great way to learn and if everything goes tits up you've not lost to much.

Kind words fellas, thanks. But the only skill I’ve got is constructing a good Armando Iannucci - style sweary rant when it all goes wrong. And maybe patience.

Good advice from Wrinkley. For my 7th birthday my dad gave me a socket set and two knackered lawnmower engines - one two-stroke and one four-stroke. I just carried on from there.

Anyway we’re off to see the wizard with a box of bevel parts and top end rebuild bits.

A quick run up to see Mike, drop off the missing parts, and home again with the A2 full of shiny goodies. I spent the afternoon happily tapping out the threaded holes in the gearbox covers.

This is why:

IMG_2558.JPG.

Blasting media collects in the threads and that is a bad thing.

Finished that off, now I have to get all of this

IMG_2559.JPG

Into here

IMG_2560.JPG

Tomorrow’s job.

Another little step tonight, the throttle twist grip mechanism got a thorough clean, acid etch and three coats of Techcote satin. Looks great I think.

IMG_2543.JPG

Flywheel skimming is very cheap and if youre using it as a plodder, a lighter flywheel actually stops it from chugging ...i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Elec. ignition is a no brainer - accurate and maintainance free - better idling and low speed running and better mpg...win/win

Another little step, starting to assemble the forks. Gearbox has to wait, a couple of seals and a new pawl spring haven’t arrived yet.

0b48bd80796f61c62b0a65de65c569a4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom