The ‘79 California Rebuild Thread

Now I’m hopefully approaching the end of the Montjuic rebuild I need to sort out the historic status. It’s not been on the road for over 3 years and I sorned it once then forgot all about it. It’s old enough to be classified as historic so avoids those tedious noise regulations but do I have to apply for historic status or just ignore it as is normally my way of treating things that I find a bit boring :nenau

On the subject of boring, let’s let Nin get back to the interesting stuff ( not popping at you Andy :) ) :thumb2

Andres

To be fair it’s a bit like when the Mexican Wave starts at a sporting event - not enough excitement on the pitch.

Well I can’t call wiring exciting in any circumstances, but we have made progress. All the shite wiring is replaced, all the connectors bar a few odd sized ones have been renewed (crimped only ).

I’ve made up brackets and fitted the coils and electronic ignition units, and started assembling the wiring loom onto the bike, none of which warrants a photo.

I did for a moment offer up the Guzzi badges on the tank, which looks fantastic, but you don’t get to see that until it’s finished.

More tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I aim to please. I also got a decent crimp tool and it’s a lot quicker and easier than my accustomed method.

A bit of a breakthrough today - I’ve spent over a day of my time trying to a Japanese switchgear into Italian wiring. It worked fine for the kill and start switches on the RHS but proved a challenge in the LHS multi function switch.

So this arrived from Germany today which pleases me.

88bea6dfb289f7929bf0d0c6d4cc9ad2.jpg

Chores permitting we’ll get that puppy fitted today, and start the final improvements to the wiring - which basically involves taking most of the amperage out of the switch gear by introducing some direct fused circuits to the heavy loads, via 5 new switched relays.

Whilst I do hate wiring, I have over the years wired up several boats so kinda know what I’m doing. No solder will be harmed from henceforth mind.

Ah ha..........I need one of those as mine is falling apart, been meaning to sort it for ages :rolleyes:

When I last looked the only ones I could find were for low bars and weren't long enough for a Cali. Is yours the correct length or are you gonna lengthen it? If it's the right length can you let me have the details please and I'll get one ordered whilst the 'iron is hot' so to speak :)

Andres

Morning Andres. It’s a wee bit too long if anything - but available at Stein Dinse now:

IMG_3131.JPG

I aim to please. I also got a decent crimp tool and it’s a lot quicker and easier than my accustomed method.

One more Q please :) What did you end up getting, I'm after a decent one and got very confused looking at the various sorts on-line the other day............

Andres

I got this off Amazon:

Meterk
4.4 out of 5 stars 383 Reviews
Wire Crimper Stripper Set Meterk Multifunctional Crimping Tool With Carbon Steel Support 0.1-6mm² Adjustable Crimping Range Comfort Grip Terminals Connectors Ratcheting

But any ratcheting crimper with interchangeable jaws would do I expect.

A bit of a breakthrough today - I’ve spent over a day of my time trying to a Japanese switchgear into Italian wiring. It worked fine for the kill and start switches on the RHS but proved a challenge in the LHS multi function switch.

88bea6dfb289f7929bf0d0c6d4cc9ad2.jpg

Chores permitting we’ll get that puppy fitted today, and start the final improvements to the wiring - which basically involves taking most of the amperage out of the switch gear by introducing some direct fused circuits to the heavy loads, via 5 new switched relays.

Whilst I do hate wiring, I have over the years wired up several boats so kinda know what I’m doing. No solder will be harmed from henceforth mind.

I fitted R1 switchgear on my LM2 cafe,

But I wired that from scratch rather than using the original wiring loom,

My convert has LM1 switchgear, which is odd because it’s a 1979 model, that is unobtainium, but still working, though with fixes to the light switch.

It’s taken me an absolute bloody age to get to this point, but finally the switchgear is wired up, fitted and ready.

IMG_3151.JPGIMG_3150.JPG

Right. You can sit under there for a bit and have a good long think about your behaviour. Sigh.

IMG_3190.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Did I mention how much I dislike wiring? Well just further confirmation, if it were needed today.

I fitted the loom connected everything up as per the wiring diags, added the battery - and oh the horn works then without pressing anything or even switching the ignition on, great.

And dip turns on the LH indicator, and no the starter doesn’t turn and FFS everything is either not working when it should, or working when it shouldn’t.

Bollox.

I did have some concerns about the loom, it’s clearly been messed about with in the past and while Ive been over it and continuity tested everything, I can’t be absolutely sure.

So it’s back to first principles. But before then I need to step away from the project for a while to get in the right frame of mind.

Watch this space (but not too closely for the next couple of weeks)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom