The ‘79 California Rebuild Thread

Yeah I’m coming round to your way of thinking on that headlight.

Carbs aren’t quite set up right either yet. There might be a bit more wear in them than meets the eye.
Try dropping the needles one clip groove.
A bit of wear on them added to wear on the needle jet might be making the transition from idle to mid range a bit much.
Edit,,
Big twins need to be balanced on the idle and throttle take up,
Lot more critical than 4 cyl bikes

Yeah it’s all balanced on tickover and pickup. But transition from idle to main is not as good as it should be, and one side is running hotter than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all

I’ve decided I’m putting this bike on the block for sale, it’s up on the moto guzzi club FB page now if anyone is interested.

I’m consolidating to two bikes, and this won’t be one of them sadly.

Thanks for tips on getting the carbs right, it’s pretty much there now.

Hi all

I’ve decided I’m putting this bike on the block for sale, it’s up on the moto guzzi club FB page now if anyone is interested.

That's a bit sad but good luck :)

Try also Moto Guzzi MG UK on Face Book.

Andres

Hi all

I can't find it!

One last shot for the fans

95b8ed0245aa55961ee7ff54a6af3005.jpg

It’s off to the local Guzzi doctor tomorrow for a quick check over before heading off to its new keeper.

Lovely, a proper job
:beerjug:

(Please straighten up the headlamp glass for me Simon :p. )

Lovely, a proper job
:beerjug:

(Please straighten up the headlamp glass for me Simon :p. )

Weird camera effect. I lined it up proper but you’re right that photo makes it look slightly off.

Fabulous resto. and a great thread.
I've followed it almost from the start and reread it twice when you offered the bike for sale. At which point I gave serious consideration to making contact, having previously wondered if it might be for sale in a couple of years once you'd had some time to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Unfortunately, for me, the timing was off as I'd already stumbled across a great deal on a near new v85tt, a bike I'd decided I was going to buy at some point. For a brief period I nutured the fantasy of having two Guzzi 850's - one old, one new - side by side in what I laughingly refer to as the garage. Would have been a beautiful thing. Unfortunately there was the small matter of finances, and no matter how I did the sums I couldn't make them add up...
Hopefully it went to a fellow tosser who will, I've no doubt, get a great deal of enjoyment from it and I get to pick up the v85tt next week, which I'm really looking forward to. The Cali will just have to be the one that got away (actually there's been a couple of those). C'est la vie
And, BTW, so glad that LED monstrosity has gone - great on a modern bike but just jarred on the Cali

Thanks Vulpine. The old girl kept me sane over lockdown, and that was the main purpose. I’ve had one short ride and decided, good as it was, to stick to the Adventure type bikes.

I’ve added up everything I spent which was a mistake. I’ve taken a mental health check and decided it really wasn’t a mistake, this project got me and the family through some really dark times - it gave me somewhere to go.

Thanks all for watching, and for all the practical help, supportive comments, advice and PMs. You all know who you are so I won’t list ‘em.

I’ll close the thread now.

Nin

(Airhead adv build is just about to start in anger ...)

Ah go on then, some photos in its new home.

IMG_1088.JPGIMG_1087.JPGIMG_1080.JPG

Back
Top Bottom