K1600 main stand

Rick 1600

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Main stand looking a bit tatty so had a quick look to see how easily I could remove it for painting. I noticed that if I put it on the side stand and push the main stand UP, the springs come loose and can be removed no problem at all. That can’t be right though? It’s possible then for the bike to hit a bump, main stand jump up, springs to come off and the main stand hit the ground?
Anyone check their bike to see if there’s a “stop” or to see if their stand his held ridged against the bike ?
Just when you have a spare minute during lockdown.... Rick

Main stand looking a bit tatty so had a quick look to see how easily I could remove it for painting. I noticed that if I put it on the side stand and push the main stand UP, the springs come loose and can be removed no problem at all. That can’t be right though? It’s possible then for the bike to hit a bump, main stand jump up, springs to come off and the main stand hit the ground?
Anyone check their bike to see if there’s a “stop” or to see if their stand his held ridged against the bike ?
Just when you have a spare minute during lockdown.... Rick

Well, as you've just given a speculative problem,

I can only give you a speculative answer :)

Quick tip - Exact model & year of production work wonders in others assisting you ;)

Looking at the parts diagram for your bike, (thats if the 1920 version is the correct one )

There is a bump stop (part 9) on the side of the centre stand

Is it there on yours or missing?

it may be it was added or removed prior or later than your model / manufacturing month / year - but as i dont know that i cant say

(your in luck, it would appear the stand hasn't been revised from the launch to present day :) )

The other thought is that the springs or mounts have sworn / stretched which has over stretched the springs

:blast :blast . Ok, solved the problem..... The bump stop is there. It pressed up against the exhaust .... but the exhaust isn’t there so it doesn’t! Thanks for the help, you can all come back inside now....:blast

:blast :blast . Ok, solved the problem..... The bump stop is there. It pressed up against the exhaust .... but the exhaust isn’t there so it doesn’t! Thanks for the help, you can all come back inside now....:blast

Ahh schoolboy error 101 then :)

don't worry we've all done something like that at one time :)

I’ve put it somewhere. Anyway, if you want to remove your main stand and your worried about getting those pesky springs off and on, just pull the exhaust off and it’ll probably fall off..

Question and needless fear of the year award :D

But hey, an exhaust might fall off when riding (forgive me, hooning) and the first a hapless bikermate would know would be the descent of his centre stand. The thought is too much for one man to carry.

:beerjug:

Thanks for bringing it up again Wapping, I thought it might have slipped under the radar now.
I’ve found and fitted said missing pipe and gave it an extra tweak on the ratchet. It now bangs up against her exhaust no problem whatsoever.

"Banging up against her exhaust" is one of my favourite pastimes. And something that can continue during lockdown too. Win win.

Back
Top Bottom