Travelling in Portugal - Web access - Bank accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

WC2000

Reaction score
a question regarding travelling in Portugal, I've googled around and I've seen that there are a lot of restrictions for the web there, at the same time I've seen people using this to access their bank etc. Has anyone had any experiences with the app or were unable to connect to their bank? I won't travel for some time for obvious reasons now, but I really don't want to have a shitty experience without being able to pay for things

I have cut and moved this post from the thread about gps routes in Portugal. WC2000, when posting please try to think whether the post you are making has anything to do with the topic. It helps to keep things on track. Thanks, Richard.

Can you clarify if your struggling to connect with your UK/Irish bank from Portugal, or are struggling to connect to a Portuguese bank from the UK/Ireland??
As I can still connect to my Portuguese bank from the UK/Ireland using either the app or online banking without a vpn

I'm not struggling atm, I was planning to fly to Portugal this week, but for obvious reasons, I will not. So once covid will be a bit less "active" I'm planning to go there. What I was worried, that I won't be able to access Ireland bank from Portugal because I've read quite a few comments and reviews that some websites in Portugal are restricted. As an example being in Portugal you won't be able to access websites that are originally from UK/US/China or whatever, if such restrictions are in place, you can easily bypass them with a VPN. I will probably buy a subscription for it anyway, as it's not expensive and I won't have to worry about this.

I was in Portugal in 2018 ( was also due to go back in July this year, this time on the bike (but that’s not happening). Anyway didn’t have any issues with web access to my bank over in UK or paying for things getting money out of ATM either with UK bank card or Post Office travel card.

WC2000, Portugal is not a third world country. OK, it might not be Eire but it’s not the jungles of Papua New Guinea, nor the slums of Rio.

The internet will work as well there for 99.99% of regular day-to-day usage as it does in the wilds of Ireland. Quite how much shopping on (or visiting of) Chinese websites you’ll be wanting to do on your holiday, I have no idea. But, I guess not much.

PS I guess what you might have been reading about is bods trying unsuccessfully to use an internet connection to access their Sky TV account from outside of their home country. That is true but it does not mean there is anything wrong with the internet connection, per-se. It is simply that Sky themselves (not the internet provider) put a blocker on it. A way around is to connect via a VPN, to trick Sky into believing you are actually at home.

a question regarding travelling in Portugal, I've googled around and I've seen that there are a lot of restrictions for the web there

No, there is none.

I've seen people using this to access their bank etc

That is a VPN system.
It is "fashionable" now to use VPNs by most. Also most don't really understand how "the internet" works and when/where they'd need a VNP connection (very seldom).

What I was worried, that I won't be able to access Ireland bank from Portugal because I've read quite a few comments and reviews that some websites in Portugal are restricted.

They are not.
When connecting to your banking services, or to most sites nowadays, your data is encrypted. Just use it as you would do from home.

Also, Portugal is a country in Europe. It's not some obscure Asian dictatorship :D Everything there works pretty much in a similar way as the rest of Europe.

WC2000, Portugal is not a third world country. OK, it might not be Eire but it’s not the jungles of Papua New Guinea, nor the slums of Rio.

The internet will work as well there for 99.99% of regular day-to-day usage as it does in the wilds of Ireland. Quite how much shopping on (or visiting of) Chinese websites you’ll be wanting to do on your holiday, I have no idea. But, I guess not much.

PS I guess what you might have been reading about is bods trying unsuccessfully to use an internet connection to access their Sky TV account from outside of their home country. That is true but it does not mean there is anything wrong with the internet connection, per-se. It is simply that Sky themselves (not the internet provider) put a blocker on it. A way around is to connect via a VPN, to trick Sky into believing you are actually at home.

Yeah but, can you drink the water there? Is it safe? Do they speak English? Can I get English/Irish food there? Will they accept my Visa/debit card? Can I exceed the speed limit with impunity? Is the petrol safe for my steed ? So many things you have missed Richard :D

I guess the OP will by now have received the message, which (as he believes everything else he hears) he’ll be happy to accept.

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom