Recommend a SIMPLE printer...Please.

jonnie comet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like our three in one printer is about to spit it's guts. It's a ten year old H/P thing that doesn't owe me a penny.

I'm looking for a SIMPLE printer/scanner/copier. Nothing fancy, it's just for documents, I don't print photos or anything in fact it doesn't even have to do colour so I might consider a mono laser thing. It won't get hard use but needs to work with Mac' and W10.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations.....Please..:)

We bought a Mono Laser printer (Brother DCP) after the inkjet cartridges kept drying up from lack of use, just sits in standby until you press print then it coughs out a copy. Although black/white only it will scan in colour which can be useful. It's not shown on the PC World website so assume it's been superseded by this one but it was only £100-120ish from memory and they have alternatives. Only note of caution is that all the pics show them with the feed tray closed, which it isn't when you put paper in it; might not be a concern for you depending on where it sits.

HP Envy for A4 or, I've just bought one, an Epson XP-970 for printing colour in A3.

We bought a Mono Laser printer (Brother DCP) after the inkjet cartridges kept drying up from lack of use, just sits in standby until you press print then it coughs out a copy. Although black/white only it will scan in colour which can be useful. It's not shown on the PC World website so assume it's been superseded by this one but it was only £100-120ish from memory and they have alternatives. Only note of caution is that all the pics show them with the feed tray closed, which it isn't when you put paper in it; might not be a concern for you depending on where it sits.

Brother Mono Laser is the best, cheap at £100 or less

Do a search on the bay or freecycle for an old HP laserjet 4000 or similar

There old office grade mono printers (think size of an old 26" tv ;))

i bought one at a carboot sale years ago, cost me £8

10,000 prints from one black toner cartdrige

old, cheap as chips, and when it does breakdown, you just chuck it away :)

Brother mono laser scanner + canon scanner. Been trouble free for years. So glad to be shot of endless hp colour this that and the other cartridges.:thumb2

Looks like our three in one printer is about to spit it's guts. It's a ten year old H/P thing that doesn't owe me a penny.

I'm looking for a SIMPLE printer/scanner/copier. Nothing fancy, it's just for documents, I don't print photos or anything in fact it doesn't even have to do colour so I might consider a mono laser thing. It won't get hard use but needs to work with Mac' and W10.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations.....Please..:)

I use a local Karbon Kopy shop for my infrequent printing needs - just email the file/weblink/Dropbox folder to them then cycle round to collect and pay. They are of course now closed so am looking at online printing services such as https://www.doxdirect.com/

Canon Pixma. Ours is a model MG 4250. £40 ish and never let us down. Printer, scanner, copier. Does photos to an acceptable standard, too

I bought an Epson XP3600 a couple of years ago. It's one of the "Ecotank" ones that has big ink tanks that you refill from squeeze bottle. It does literally thousands of pages between fills, and you can buy a complete set of ink bottles for under £20.

Way better than the expensive cartridges that always run out. The printer is more expensive, but overall the costs work out much lower.

Highly, highly recommended if you don't want to spend much on ink over the life of the thing. Not idea what the current version model number is though.

It depends on how much you are prepared to spend

we have a particular nee for working from home so fast efficient and quality are important we have a Toshiba studio 408S for this and so far it has been brilliant

Laser type thing with doc feed etc etc and plenty pages per minute wasn't cheap at about £500 but for us its needed. a £50 Robbie from Pc world won't cut it

I bought a Brother mono laser printer that works via Wi-Fi or lead, easy to use and set up and very quick printing.

Back
Top Bottom