Boot Cleaning.

Moisture wicked through the inner Gortex layer inside a boot does not pass through the leather at all, but rises between the inner liner and the outer ( leather) shell of the boot. This is why they are separate. Any substance, polish, dubbin or leather grease (Leder Gris) creates a barrier against water, either way.
If you place a piece of Gortex and a piece of Cordura over your mouth and blow, air will pass. Try breathing though leather, best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s gone tec.

Nutty will be off trying to breath through the leather of his gimp mask :D

Very nice

All my work and bike boots get cleaned under a tap with a scrubbing brush and then treated with Scarpa leather cream. I took a picture :aidan how sad is that. I've used it for years.

Not sad at all. Lovely looking boots.

Always use Kiwi boot polish and a pair of ex MoD brushes my father bought me when I left home in 1963 to join the police cadets :thumb

Brushes still going strong to this day and showing no signs of wear!

i-9xhJq6T-M.jpg

i-JRtjrB9-M.jpg

:beerjug:

Remploy,

Now there's a name i haven't heard in along time.

They are still going today, which is very good to hear,

I suspect not a lot of people know what they do.

I would suspect for them at this time it's going to be doubly difficult

If you've still got the brushes, and there going strong, shows how well made they were :)

Remploy,

Now there's a name i haven't heard in along time.

They are still going today, which is very good to hear,

I suspect not a lot of people know what they do.

I would suspect for them at this time it's going to be doubly difficult

If you've still got the brushes, and there going strong, shows how well made they were :)
Do they not employ people less fortunate than ourselves

Not much point having the moisture from you foot pass through a goretex membrane only to find it can’t get out through the pores in the leather!

I haven't used dubbin for at least 40 years when the wisdom was that it rots cotton stitching in the boot. Nikwax replaced it for me but nowadays I stick to Leder Gris or the Daytona stuff from a tube which smells like honey.

Exactly. In the same way a goretex jacket will work better if it is clean and the moisture can pass through the gore tex and then out through the outer layer. It is not the leather treatment on a goretex lined boot that makes it waterproof, it is the goretex. No point in slapping stuff all over the boot at all....all you need to do is stop the leather drying out and cracking.

But, since apparently I am wrong, we'll maybe leave it the experts...

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/base-camp/the-right-care-for-gore-tex-footwear/

I've worn Daytona boots for 11 years now, and will continue for many to come.

Cleaning: sponge & warm water

Drying: microfibre cloth

Proofing: Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather (black); this can be applied to both wet & dry leather

My boots have remained in perfect condition & 100% waterproof.

I am afraid you are wrong. Gortex is the material liner on the inside of the boot, as with a Gortex liner in a jacket. Whatever you put on the outside will not affect the Gortex. However, the Gortex on the inside of a boot will have a finite life and once reached will then be ineffective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's a bit more complicated IMHO.

The GoreTex liner is indeed on the inside of the boot (and may or may not be bonded to the actual leather depending on the boot). So whatever you put on the leather will not affect the GoreTex at all. However - it may impact the ability of the GoreTex to allow moisture out of the boot.

So if you clog all the pores of the leather, your feet may get damper through sweat not being able to evaporate through the membrane.

In practice however, you would probably never notice this - unless your boots were perforated leather (which is unusual, but not unheard of in a waterproof boot) and you had clogged the holes with dubbin/polish/wax/whatever.

Back
Top Bottom