Lowering Quest / Unwelcome grinding / Getting toes down / Touratech Extra Low Seat

oddjob

Reaction score
I hope my personal experience may perhaps be of some benefit to any vertically challenged fellow R 1200 GS riders whom may be about to embark on an elusive expensive quest to get their toes down without unwelcome grinding. BTW, not :ymca grinding you dirty buggers!

My height is 168 cm with an inseam @ 27.5 inches. My previous R 1200 GS TU 2012 twin cam was a "factory low" which was fitted with a BMW low seat. This combination achieved a seat height @ 800 mm. However, despite the standard shock preload being correctly adjusted, moderate enthusiastic riding immediately resulted in grinding of the main stand legs, together with the gear change and brake lever. Not good. :eek:

My current R 1200 GS TE LC 2018 is a "standard" height variant. Moreover, extremely enthusiastic riding only results in grinding my boots. :)
Naturally when stationary, my decision of which toe I'll place down is ultimately dependent upon the incumbent road camber.
However, despite the seats being adjusted to the "low" setting, I've spent very many pennies on a variety of practical options in my quest to consistently get a toe down,
without resorting to "Herman Munster" type platform boots! :jes

a) BMW Standard seat (unsuccessful solution);
b) BMW Low seat (unsuccessful solution);
c) Wunderlich Rider seat lowering kit - black Part No. 42721-002 (AKA lowering bobbins) (unsuccessful vertical and horizontal solution that merely painfully moved my "crown jewels" against the tank);
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r-series/r-1250-gs/ergonomics-comfort/seats-accessories/wunderlich-rider-seat-lowering-kit-42721-002.html

d) Touratech GmbH (successful solution) :thumb2

The Touratech extra low seat is absolutely perfect in every possible way and achieves a practical seat height @ 790 mm even with the Dynamic ESA set to AUTO.

Comfort seat rider Fresh Touch, for ALL BMW LC's from 2013.
R1250GS/ R1250GS Adventure/ R1200GS (LC)/ R1200GS Adventure (LC),
Extra low Part Number: 01-045-5949-0
€329.01 / (£299.56) Including Vat @ 20%

https://shop.touratech-uk.co.uk/comfort-seat-rider-fresh-touch-for-bmw-r1250gs-r1250gs-adventure-r1200gs-lc-r1200gs-adventure-lc-extra-low.html

However, I placed a wanted add and thankfully managed to buy an immaculate used one @ £232.34 from a member of this parish whom resides near Geneva. :thumb2

I hope my personal experience may perhaps be of some benefit to any vertically challenged fellow R 1200 GS riders whom may be about to embark on an elusive expensive quest to get their toes down without unwelcome grinding. BTW, not :ymca grinding you dirty buggers!

My height is 168 cm with an inseam @ 27.5 inches. My previous R 1200 GS TU 2012 twin cam was a "factory low" which was fitted with a BMW low seat. This combination achieved a seat height @ 800 mm. However, despite the standard shock preload being correctly adjusted, moderate enthusiastic riding immediately resulted in grinding of the main stand legs, together with the gear change and brake lever. Not good. :eek:

My current R 1200 GS TE LC 2018 is a "standard" height variant. Moreover, extremely enthusiastic riding only results in grinding my boots. :)
Naturally when stationary, my decision of which toe I'll place down is ultimately dependent upon the incumbent road camber.
However, despite the seats being adjusted to the "low" setting, I've spent very many pennies on a variety of practical options in my quest to consistently get a toe down,
without resorting to "Herman Munster" type platform boots! :jes

a) BMW Standard seat (unsuccessful solution);
b) BMW Low seat (unsuccessful solution);
c) Wunderlich Rider seat lowering kit - black Part No. 42721-002 (AKA lowering bobbins) (unsuccessful vertical and horizontal solution that merely painfully moved my "crown jewels" against the tank);
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r-series/r-1250-gs/ergonomics-comfort/seats-accessories/wunderlich-rider-seat-lowering-kit-42721-002.html

d) Touratech GmbH (successful solution) :thumb2

The Touratech extra low seat is absolutely perfect in every possible way and achieves a practical seat height @ 790 mm even with the Dynamic ESA set to AUTO.

Comfort seat rider Fresh Touch, for ALL BMW LC's from 2013.
R1250GS/ R1250GS Adventure/ R1200GS (LC)/ R1200GS Adventure (LC),
Extra low Part Number: 01-045-5949-0
€329.01 / (£299.56) Including Vat @ 20%

https://shop.touratech-uk.co.uk/comfort-seat-rider-fresh-touch-for-bmw-r1250gs-r1250gs-adventure-r1200gs-lc-r1200gs-adventure-lc-extra-low.html

However, I placed a wanted add and thankfully managed to buy an immaculate used one @ £232.34 from a member of this parish whom resides near Geneva. :thumb2

Kahedo ? do one as well

might be the route i need to go ... ive taken 20mm out of my current low seat but need a bit more ;)

Kahedo ? do one as well

might be the route i need to go ... ive taken 20mm out of my current low seat but need a bit more ;)

Owner of Kahedo has retired, taking his seats with him.

I would be interested to know how comfortable is the seat over long journey. I am happy with the BMW low seat, hard but comfortable. I used this lowering kit and it works :thumb2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2236445269...03vS20lQ5hcdyC20LsiEjQqKluSycPURoCMO8QAvD_BwE

Ive got those with a low seat .. there allright but .... mmmm

I'm in the middle of going to have another play about with the seat,

I noticed the seat in the earlier posts is completely different to my low seat, so is there another one for another market that is lower prehaps ?

If were talking mm reductions, i can see 5-10mm straight away ... if not more, but more will require engineering expertise

I had an extra low, non adjustable Kahedo seat fitted to my 2012 R1200 Triple black and it was a fantastic seat to do long rides on.
Bike now gone and seat is in the garage - any good to anybody? Send a pm if interested.
Sorry for jumping in on your thread :beerjug:

I had an extra low, non adjustable Kahedo seat fitted to my 2012 R1200 Triple black and it was a fantastic seat to do long rides on.
Bike now gone and seat is in the garage - any good to anybody? Send a pm if interested.
Sorry for jumping in on your thread :beerjug:

Hex head or LC,

If LC yes please can we discuss further

OK,

Been out and did some measuring

2106 Wethead,

Factory low suspension & low seat

All measurements ignition off

Base seat height - measured from seat midpoint to ground - bike on sidestand blocked to near on vertical

Seat adjusters set to low & low bobbins at front

Seat low -with an additional 20mm removed = 780mm ( so assume 800 with seat in normal conditions- is factory spec lol )

Removing the seat and measure from the midpoint in the seat area - 720 mm so 80mm for seat & foam

So with the additional 20mm ive taken out of the seat, im on 60mm of seat & foam

Width of seat, this is the one most people dont take into account

Current wethead - low seat width at narrowest part - 290mm

Old Hexhead - low seat width at narrowest part 270mm

so they've made the seat almost an inch wider which in some ways wipes out an inch of lowering :blast ??

Yes you can trim foam off to aid the thigh angle, but you cant make the seat base any narrower ??

as its always going to be bound by the rigid seat base (there isnt a lot of foam in that area anyway )

you can get another 5mm off the middle of the seat base by removing the rubber bump stops & the same again by trimming the legs

at the rear (haven't gone down that route yet)

You can get the front way down by removing the bumpstop bar, looks like the seat sits on the frame rails that way, but its not secure

prehaps a modified bumpstop bar would work

So if you trim 20mm out of the seat you have to remember that its 60mm left all over so the back which is taller than the front is still

60mm higher, you may need to take another 20mm out of the rear to give you a level seat position

I would be interested to know how comfortable is the seat over long journey. I am happy with the BMW low seat, hard but comfortable. I used this lowering kit and it works :thumb2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2236445269...03vS20lQ5hcdyC20LsiEjQqKluSycPURoCMO8QAvD_BwE

I'm so glad that you are happy with your combination of BMW low seat and lowering bobbins. :)

FYI and for those whom may not possibly be aware:
a) Touratech is merely the retailer and kahedo was the (former) manufacturer;
b) Since Touratech are still offering "their branded seats" for sale, it would possibly suggest they may indeed have broadly completed the transition to source an alternative manufacturer; :nenau

Critique of my Touratech extra low seat:
a) The padding is most definitely hard, however the ergonomic profile is absolutely superb and consequently provides total comfort with no aches, pressure points and numbness. Suffice to say, a 300 mile day in the saddle or 3,000 mile tour over two weeks is an absolute joy; :thumb2
b) Because the seat is physically lower, there was a brief preliminary sensation of sitting within the bike, rather than upon the bike.

My broad Comparisons:
a) The BMW low seat padding is indeed softer, however there is a complete absence of any semblance of ergonomic profile. The rear of the seat is merely scalloped, whereby padding is crudely removed to reduce height. Consequently, due to the pronounced rear step, it is not physically possible to readily charge position by simply moving backwards. After a couple of hours, I constantly find myself attempting to shift towards the rear of the seat to reduce pressure on my thighs and posterior. Therefore, for me this seat does not provide all day comfort. :(

b) In Sep' 2016 I test road a number of alternative bikes to replace my R 1200 GS TU including: Triumph Tiger 800; Suzuki VStrom 650 and the Yamaha MT09 Tracer. The original iteration of the Tracer was fitted with a seat that can only be described as a tortuous plank. I vividly remember after riding less than 20 minutes I was in absolute agony and after 40 minutes this transcend to complete and utter posterior numbness. :eek:

I'm so glad that you are happy with your combination of BMW low seat and lowering bobbins. :)

My broad Comparisons:
a) The BMW low seat padding is indeed softer, however there is a complete absence of any semblance of ergonomic profile.

I would describe it as flat, my seat set up is: the rear of the seat is slightly higher then the front. So my thighs suport my weight and I am tipped slightly forward. For the record my inside leg is 29". Ergonomically the bike now is perfect me, especially after I had the handlebar conversion.

Well as the weathers nice,

I thought i'd revisit this

I took the seats off and made up a new seat using 15mm melamine ( all i had handy lol)

I used the rear seat locator bar as the back, and had to fit it using the fuse holder as the front stop

( i removed the small loom and tucked it out of the way )

This give me a new seat height of 740mm near on 29" which given i have an inside leg of 29"

I could get both balls of the foot on the deck :) and it felt like i was sitting in the bike not on it if that makes sense

so looking at my original measurements, i need to loose 40mm about another 1.5",

And slim the seat width to 240 - 270 270 we know already works

Question is, am i going to get another 1.5" out of the seat, and keep it long distance comfy

Would be handy if the OP could get some good pics and measurements up of the new seat :)

The trouble with all this seat lowering is you are reducing the seat/footpeg distance making the bike less comfortable, just get a lowered GS and keep the standard ergos,
I have a 28" inside leg and love my factory lowered bike.

The trouble with all this seat lowering is you are reducing the seat/footpeg distance making the bike less comfortable, just get a lowered GS and keep the standard ergos,
I have a 28" inside leg and love my factory lowered bike.

Read post #9 again very slowly ;)

The seat / peg relationship was fine on my trip to Scotland and back, just stretch them when i need to :)

Read post #9 again very slowly ;)

The seat / peg relationship was fine on my trip to Scotland and back, just stretch them when i need to :)

Don't let your ego get in the way, go and read the OP nice and slowly, std height GS.

I have a factory lowered 2015 GS with a low sergeant seat. I,m 171 tall and this works for me. The seat is also very comfortable, proved when riding the NC500 last year in three days due to bad weather. Found this easier that my previous Tiger 800 due to the weight distribution being lower on the GS.

I have a factory lowered 2015 GS with a low sergeant seat. I,m 171 tall and this works for me. The seat is also very comfortable, proved when riding the NC500 last year in three days due to bad weather. Found this easier that my previous Tiger 800 due to the weight distribution being lower on the GS.

Hi Rascal,
Unfortunately height has nothing to do with getting your feet down,

it's your inside leg & radius curve than are the factors that matter.

I have a friend smaller than me, and he can get his feet down on a GSA, i'm a good 2 inches off the floor ;) I'm 5'5" ;)

Back
Top Bottom