Apple....Bastids

To be fair Windows has done the same over many upgrades in that older hardware was incompatible with the new edition and hardware manufacturers just wouldnt rewrite the drivers to suit, a real waste which just makes landifill for no reason.
The is a freeware version of VMware and a couple of other emulaters you can run windows on via the desktop as suggested, if its more convienient.

I had an issue doing an update on my Cardo Packtalk with my MacBook Pro. I downloaded google chrome and did it via that and it works fine.

Down grade

Did you know you can down grade your OS from Catalina to the previous OS ( or even further back ). Plenty You tube videos on that subject.

I have run boot camp on my Mac and it worked just fine. Bear in mind that you have to allocate a portion of your drive to accommodate the windows OS. If you are short of space that may be an issue.

Again lots of video's on the subject. Make sure your back up is current before attempting any alterations. I use an old HDD as my time machine. Saved me a number of times when things have gone tits up.

Did you know you can down grade your OS from Catalina to the previous OS ( or even further back ). Plenty You tube videos on that subject.

I have run boot camp on my Mac and it worked just fine. Bear in mind that you have to allocate a portion of your drive to accommodate the windows OS. If you are short of space that may be an issue.

Again lots of video's on the subject. Make sure your back up is current before attempting any alterations. I use an old HDD as my time machine. Saved me a number of times when things have gone tits up.

Yes i have a 2TB external HD as my backup and it gets backed up frequently. Plenty space on my Mac so that wont be a problem. Didn’t know you could step back with the OS, will have a look at that. Im in no way any sort of expert on these things, after all im an old cnut and remember a time when you wanted to make a phone call while out and about you had to find a piss stained red box with a phone in it, and if it worked you had to feed it with coins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had zero compatibility issues with Catalina. And how is Apple trying to monetise your scanning? Who is asking you for money?

It's your scanner company not keeping up with the latest Apple software - which BTW is open to developers to work with way before you or I get it. Pure laziness and prioritising the Windows dollar. Apple is what? Maybe 10% of the laptop/desktop market these days and yet hardware companies can't be arsed to write the correct drivers?

Iphone 11 custom ringtones are quite easy. Here's one of hundreds of web pages on how to do it:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2017/10/how-to-set-song-iphone-ringtone-ios-11.html

But really? Even my 15 year old has grown out of of stupid ring tones these days....

Doesnt work with latest OS because there is no longer iTunes on latest phones.

What somebody else said, don't keep "upgrading" mac OS, I'm still on Yosemite (so 8-9 years old) but can still use iPhoto (catalogue) and Aperture (editing and RAW's) all works really well still but if the bastids stop support for it I shall be very cross:mad: Mind you I don't upgrade my cameras very often:thumb Cheers:beerjug:John B

So, im just wondering where you managed to see my ringtone list :nenau You got some sort of private access or something :rolleyes: And yes Apple monetise everytning they can, just go to the app store and look. The free apps are not worth having and im buggered if im paying anyone to use an app, i pay enough for the bloody phone in the first place (a mistake i wont make again) Developers cant see ahead of time can they ? you seem to be an "expert" so explain that to me. Printer BNIB last summer, then Catalina comes out and suddenly the flatbed doesnt work as it should. Apple says there is a problem and its being worked on, to date....ZERO solution. :nenau

To be fair, the entire purpose of a corporation is to return profit to the shareholders. That's exactly what companies are for. Of course they will try and monetise everything because that's the whole point.

So you want free apps - but you aren't prepared to pay the developers for their work? And the phone is expensive? Yes it is. Do you have any idea of the technology packed into that little thing. It's not all that long ago that it would have cost well over 10 grand to get the same amount of computing power. 30 years ago, probably in the millions.

But back to the printer. Apple doesn't write the drivers for your printer, that's the responsibility of Canon/HP/whoever. If they were on the ball, then their developers would be getting advanced access to the next OS release candidate and writing compatible drivers so that they are ready when the OS gets released.

My scanner is an Epson and it works just fine on Catalina. Have you gone to your printer manufacturer's website and checked for updated drivers? With the Epson, it just tells me there's a software update available, one click and it downloads and installs.

Doesnt work with latest OS because there is no longer iTunes on latest phones.

Try this one then:

https://www.howtogeek.com/469085/how-to-add-custom-ringtones-to-an-iphone-from-macos-catalina/

That's your IT support ration for the day done.

Did I mention that I hate custom ringtones yet? ;-) There's always some Cnut out there who's phone plays some shite tune really loud when all it really ends to do is vibrate in his pocket. And no, I don't know what ring tones you have and they might well be fucking awesome. But this is really a first world problem. If the phone rings when someone calls you, that's probably good enough to get by.

I use the VMWare Fusion app.

You can have the MS Windows window, open on the Mac desktop and can access both platforms.

With the boot camp, although free, you have to start the computer with the OS you want to use.
Agreed. Depends whether the hassle of rebooting outweighs the cost and hassle of virtual machine software.

I don't even dual boot anymore, can't find anything I need for which I can't obtain a Mac OS X equivalent.

To be fair, the entire purpose of a corporation is to return profit to the shareholders. That's exactly what companies are for. Of course they will try and monetise everything because that's the whole point.

So you want free apps - but you aren't prepared to pay the developers for their work? And the phone is expensive? Yes it is. Do you have any idea of the technology packed into that little thing. It's not all that long ago that it would have cost well over 10 grand to get the same amount of computing power. 30 years ago, probably in the millions.

But back to the printer. Apple doesn't write the drivers for your printer, that's the responsibility of Canon/HP/whoever. If they were on the ball, then their developers would be getting advanced access to the next OS release candidate and writing compatible drivers so that they are ready when the OS gets released.

My scanner is an Epson and it works just fine on Catalina. Have you gone to your printer manufacturer's website and checked for updated drivers? With the Epson, it just tells me there's a software update available, one click and it downloads and installs.

Haven’t looked for a while, but HP are aware of the problem and were “working on it” last time i looked. Need to check to see if there has been any progress. Printer works just fine, its just the scanner flatbed wont work with HP easy scan. I have to resort to feeding any docs into the scanner the old way where it sucks the doc in and spits it out after its scanned. Flatbed is useless with Catalina although it worked just fine with Sierra.

Never understood the appeal of Apple. Just another company screwing as much as they can from their customers at over inflated prices.

Plenty of people seem to love their products though.
You pay more for a superior operating system.

In my experience and as a company we run both systems, the MACs are far less troublesome than the windows machines, the biggest problem of integrating is when windows updates.

Parallels was a massive PITA, I wished I’d never come across it, as soon as AutoCAD became available for Apple, parallels was removed. AFAIK there are two programmes that’s don’t work SAGE & MS Access, my office uses a virtual desktops so on the few occasions I need them I logon.

Our aged Epson printer at home works great with Windows (daughter has a surface pro) iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro I don’t think I have ever updated it, maybe it does it automatically.

Windows 10 Pro now on my Mac. My printer works perfectly now and i didnt even have to do anything the computer found all the drivers et al and did it without my biding. Flatbed now working perfectly. A £3 licence key was purchased and all is well. Thanks for any advice you gave, no matter who you are :thumb:bow:D

Windows 10 Pro now on my Mac. My printer works perfectly now and i didnt even have to do anything the computer found all the drivers et al and did it without my biding. Flatbed now working perfectly. A £3 licence key was purchased and all is well. Thanks for any advice you gave, no matter who you are :thumb:bow:D

You could have saved your £3 and installed without a key it still works and only has a few limitations like desktop background and such.

Back
Top Bottom