XT - Hand held walk test - No spoken or visual navigation - Help anyone?

jfheath

Reaction score
So today I ventured about 200 yards down the road. 4 Test routes loaded into the Zumo XT. Simple 3 point route. Start about 20 yards down the road. Walk to the T juntion, routing point to the left, finish point to the right. I turn right, deliberately missing the routing point. My 4 test routes were to do with the missed routing point - what the XT would do if it is a Shaping Point, a Via Point, A Waypoint placed as an alerting Via Point, A Waypoint placed as an alerting Shaping Point.

Simple - I should have had the answers in a few minutes.

Instead the satnav gave me a single instruction - Please drive to highlighted route.
It gave a message on the screen that I was arriving at my start point 20 yards down the road. No recognition that I had reached it though. No other commentary. No other messages.
It did show the white direction arrow on the map at the road junction where I was supposed to turn left.
When I pressed the skip button to see what was the next point, it showed my start point, that I had walked past. I continued. It didn't tell me to turn back, (screen or sound) it did nothing.

This is the behaviour when the ZUmo 590 was set to not automatically recalculate, but my XT is set to Off Route Recalculation - Automatic.
In Volume Sounds, spoken navigation is set to enabled. All volumes are up.
The start point was correctly placed in the road that I was walking along.

I disabled all of the maps except the current (North Europe). I know when I had my OSM maps enabled on my 590 at the same time as the Europe maps, the satnav didn't work properly. But that made no difference.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like navigating unless it is in a cradle.
Or - for some reason it did not recognise my first point - the start of the route. Yet it told me when I was approaching it.

Has anyone got any other ideas ?

Thanks

Could it be the route is to short, or not enough satellite coverage for it to pinpoint a small area, or maybe as you say the cradle. just guessing.

From my experience you need to get out and ride a decent legnth route to get a feel for the XT's behaviour
I have played with short routes that work fine but plan a 100 mile route and ride it then things can change
I had one of the first XT's in the UK and had a good chance to test it before the lockdown on some 200 + mile routes

Thanks for the comment - I'd love to be able to get out and see what it does on the bike, but I can't. But I am pretty sure that 'getting a feel' for it isn't the issue in my case. This is just basic navigation at a single junction - and my unit isn't doing what I reckon it should.

I did strip out all of the foreign language speech files, so I will put those back again, just in case I deleted on by accident. But the unit simulates the route with all spoken comments and navigation prompts perfectly OK and other visuals exactly as I would expect.

I will need to put it in the car and go to the shops just to be sure it is not to do with not being in the mount. That was never an issue with the 590 or 660 though. The XT is much is the same as the 590 but certainly some aspects are a bit different and there are some big changes which relate to how this XT deals with the transportation mode and route profile transmitted from Basecamp, as well as the satnav vehicle mount which will doubtless catch out the unwary. But that's another complex topic.

I just want to see my unit recognising that it has reached a route point !!!

I did a slightly longer walk this morning and was able to more closely observe what was happening.
The magenta line was showing the turns up ahead as a superimposed white arrow. There were no spoken instructions. There were no written instructions.
It alerted on approach to the next Via Point, but not as a direction - just as a piece of information (eg North Street Ahead), rather than Approaching North Street. When I pass the route point, it doesn't acknowledge the fact. I skipped and observed the approach to the Via Point. I put the data display on the right of the screen which showed the distance to the Via Point. It got down to zero and then started increasing as I continued to walk past.

Throughout all of this there was never any symbol appearing in the top left corner of the banner to indicate what was coming next. The route was active, it knew where the points were, it just did nothing as I approached and reached.

I think I need to talk to tech support. But I will have to get it into the car this weekend and see what it does then just to cover that base.

Throughout all of this there was never any symbol appearing in the top left corner of the banner to indicate what was coming next. The route was active, it knew where the points were, it just did nothing as I approached and reached.

I’ll accept that it’s not the same exactly but that is not dissimilar to the way my Nav V and VI sometimes functions oddly.

I have auto-recalculate off. If I ride off my pre-planned route (ie away from the magenta line) and then navigate myself back onto it and head in the correct direction, it will will sometimes take the device a while to realise I am back on the route.

The turn by turn directions in the top left corner of the screen will vanish, whilst (from memory) a banner across the top will read ‘Navigate to xyz street’. Meanwhile the positional cursor will show me riding along correctly. This can go on for some distance, when suddenly the two will ‘snap together’ and the device will function perfectly. In its ‘unsnapped’ state I simply use the device as a conventional paper map. I can’t remember if the map still scrolls, keeping the position cursor in the centre of the map as I ride along but I think I can still zoom in and out, just like normal.

I don’t know what causes the ‘snap together’ to happen or why the ‘unsnapped’ phenomenon does not happen every time I ride off a route and rejoin it. I do know that on the move I can stop the route, summon it up again and restart it, the two joining perfectly and the device functioning as it should.

I do not use voice prompts, but I assume they cease too.

As I recall, none of this used to happen with my Nav IV or other Garmin devices. I have got used to it now.

Oh. That's odd. But at least it is reassuring to know that it is not necessarily my device.

Back
Top Bottom