Wildlife, shooting, ownership and all that stuff

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
Riding off road in Scotland is illegal unless you have specific approval from the land owner or manager, can't really put it any other way I'm afraid. The land reform act of 2003 gave rights of access way beyond what other parts of the country don't enjoy the down side of that act was that no unauthorised vehicular access.

Most of us have done it and if they are like me, possibly slightly nervous every time we do. From recollection there is two forest drives, one in the Galloway forest and one by the Dukes pass and hardly worth the trip tbh but that's about it legally.

Riding off road in Scotland is illegal unless you have specific approval from the land owner or manager, can't really put it any other way I'm afraid. The land reform act of 2003 gave rights of access way beyond what other parts of the country don't enjoy the down side of that act was that no unauthorised vehicular access.

Most of us have done it and if they are like me, possibly slightly nervous every time we do. From recollection there is two forest drives, one in the Galloway forest and one by the Dukes pass and hardly worth the trip tbh but that's about it legally.

In one. Unless you're related to the Duke of Buccleugh or yon Dutch billionaire who owns half the Highlands AND can get their permission, forget it.

Riding off road in Scotland is illegal unless you have specific approval from the land owner or manager, can't really put it any other way I'm afraid.

Oh fuck. Didn't know this at all.
That's why I couldn't fine any routes.

I really don't want to get into a heated argument with angry Scots. :D

Cool, Cornwall it is then.

And this was the main reason I didn't marry a particularly beautiful woman when I lived in Scotland :beerjug:

This foreign ownership of vast tracts of land in a foreign country is almost medieval, little different to the Plantagenet kings owning vast areas of western France.

Its an interesting one. Anders Paulsen, a Danish billionaire, has bought up estate after estate mostly with a view to 're wilding' He now owns tens of thousands of acres....more than 1% of Scotland. Unfortunately a side effect of rewilding is depopulation, as his intended purpose means killing thousands of deer....those deer being one of the only sources of income...therefore jobs.
His proposals resonate with the Scottish Government who don't like sporting shooting, so the usual wails of cursed foreign ownership seem to be remarkably absent. Had it been a wealthy Arab, buying land to create sporting estates, jobs and income, you may be sure there would be an enormous outcry.
Funny old world.

As an aside, Anders Paulsen lost 3 of his children in the Sri Lankan bombings. A dreadful tragedy....cannot imagine the effects on him.

I don't buy this losing jobs rubbish.

Had a guy in my car a while back who defended such actions of killing wild animals for sport cause it creates jobs, when I asked him how many jobs it creates he could hardly give me a double figure, don't be fooled by blood thirsty estate owners saying they create jobs, it's nonsense, it creates wealth for them and very few jobs.

I'd be interested on facts in regards re-wilding having to kill tens of thousands of deer and when I say facts I mean NOT spin.

Thank you for your valued opinion.

Fergus Ewing, (SNP MSP and Cabinet Secretary for Rural Economy), on the other hand;

Mr Ewing said: "Our tourism sector is a vital strand of the rural economy and country sports represent a significant proportion of this.

"Field sports are a huge draw, with both domestic and foreign audiences enjoying the wealth of world-class opportunities available in Scotland.

Forecasts suggest this area is set to continue to grow over the coming years, which will bring further gains to rural communities in terms of employment and economic benefits."

But what does he know compared to the bloke in your car?

in terms of employment and economic benefits."

Did he forget to mention how much employment it would bring ?

As for the economic benefit, that reminds me when I was stopped by a gamekeeper when on my trials bike, he said, amongst other things "you're scaring the wildlife" my reply was "I bet not as scared as they are of your shotgun"

Well done! We are all very proud of you!

The difference between Fergus Ewing, explaining that fieldsports is a £155 million part of the Scottish rural economy, supporting 11,000 full time jobs, as well as many part time, and you, is that Fergus Ewing's opinion is well informed and educated by facts. Yours is ill informed and ignorant of the facts. Albeit that Ewing is SNP, I'm afraid that of the two opinions, there can be little doubt about which is more relevant and worth considering.

But thank you for taking the time to express yours.

You're clearly a lover of so called "blood" sports or in a slightly different manner "the killing of innocent animals and birds for pleasure" unlike myself, we will NEVER agree on this subject.

I don't buy this losing jobs rubbish.

Had a guy in my car a while back who defended such actions of killing wild animals for sport cause it creates jobs, when I asked him how many jobs it creates he could hardly give me a double figure, don't be fooled by blood thirsty estate owners saying they create jobs, it's nonsense, it creates wealth for them and very few jobs.

I'd be interested on facts in regards re-wilding having to kill tens of thousands of deer and when I say facts I mean NOT spin.

What would you want done with the land if it wasn't managed?

And in the Highlands you only need a few jobs in the area to make a difference to a village and community. We don't have large populations in many places , or work opportunities, so what would you suggest the local keepers do for a living in Strathspey if they cease to be keepers?

Killing a bird that's gone missing. Wouldn't you need to find it first?

Theres 2 in the galloway forest ,,the carrick forest drive which is 6 miles long and the raiders road drive which is 11 miles long,but theres plenty of side tracks that dissapear into the forest that were made for logging access that are doable on a adv bike ;)

Back
Top Bottom