Wildlife, shooting, ownership and all that stuff

A good start for the keepers would be to stop killing the birds of prey that mysteriously go missing.

I certainly don't agree with killing birds of prey but mentioning that doesn't answer the questions?

A good start for the keepers would be to stop killing the birds of prey that mysteriously go missing.

Couldn't agree more....anyone convicted of illegal killing should go to prison.

I would however like to see a licensing system whereby I can shoot buzzards in order to protect my red squirrels. Buzzards are not endangered. Or ravens to protect my curlews. The mechanism exists but the authorities won't use it.

I suspect it would be if Man hadn't intervened with the likes of introducing grey squirrels in the 1800s

....or significantly reducing the area available for curlews to breed by removing rough pasture, traditional hay meadows and wet patches..

....or significantly reducing the area available for curlews to breed by removing rough pasture, traditional hay meadows and wet patches..

I can send you some of the many we have round here...very busy year for them judging by the noise they make all day long. A wonderful thing to hear.

I can send you some of the many we have round here...very busy year for them judging by the noise they make all day long. A wonderful thing to hear.

Good to hear...guessing it's keepered ground? Nationally they are at 'Red' status....50% decline over last 50 years. I love their calls.

Lots of Curlews, Oystercatchers, Hares, and other "threatened" species around my way too - Bowland Fells and their margins. Guess what, it's all heavily keepered ground.

I think that some of my favourite bird sounds come from Snipe and Lapwing...neither of which we have many of here in the Middle East unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom