R1200RT LC pannier lid damage

Roymundo

Reaction score
Last year the bike fell over on its right side in an unevan carpark. The pannier lid suffered light scratches. Not very pleased but this sort of thing happens. The bike is a 2015 R1200RT LC.

The lid is very lightly textured in what looks like a gunmetal colour. So far I have rubbed the damaged surface down to loose the scratches but it looks a mess. Not wanting to pay out for a new lid (over £200)I was thinking if the lid could be spray painted with a matching colour and textured finish. Rattle can and do myself or a spray company.
Has anyone done this with good results?
Thanks, Roy

Had some scratches resprayed on my old 2014 bike, £145 thank you very much, professional company. Was about the same cost as the dealer wanted to knock off my trade in price :)

Find a local car body shop if there is one open at present. Unless you are very very competent you may be disappointed with a rattle can finish. Then there is trying to match the colour with a rattle can as well. Not the answer you may want but if you want a decent job take it to a professional body shop

Buy a new one, sell the old one on Ebay , you will unlikely to be happy with a repair job.

I had my top box resprayed to match my new bike colour by the same company, very good and pleased. Problem previously I had with local spraying companies, was BMW were using water based paint, and most car spray outfits were not and weren't interested

Agree with the above comments. Top box resprayed (with low-temperature bake) by back-street body shop with good results and cost me £75.

Once finished cover with Ventureshield Paint Protect film.

Sounds like you have a Callisto Grey matte finish bike....

I had a nasty scrape on one of my cylinder head covers repaired and repainted by a local mobile 'smart repair' guy - he did it on my drive, perfect colour match, very reasonable price at, I think, around £40....and the only inconvenience to me was playing tea-boy for an hour or so!

Pete

Go new honestly, the instant pain of paying for new is nothing against the lingering pain of keep looking at a bad repair !!

I have vinyl wrapped the damaged right hand pannier lid only,, the finish is just the same as existing fine texture. I would insert pictures but not sure how this is possible.

I plasti dipped my boxes in black matt and looks good plenty of protection I can take it off when I don't want it and can re spray if it gets damaged and its a cheap fix

I have vinyl wrapped the damaged right hand pannier lid only,, the finish is just the same as existing fine texture. I would insert pictures but not sure how this is possible.

So is it the painted finish that is damaged or the plastic part ??

The plastic lid part which is a black textured finish.

I read on a facebook page of a rider who had it smoothed and painted at a body shop. Not sure where .But if it can be painted it wouldn't be much of a job. Anyone else tried to paint the plastic part ??

Back
Top Bottom