Fly Killer UV Tube Replacement

Stevie4scoops

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I bought our house in 2011, I installed a fly trap/killer with two 15 watt UV tubes in the kitchen area because we have a stream running through the garden which attracts a lot of pests.

It's become frustrating to have flies buzzing around the windows completely ignoring the fly catcher trap. The UV tubes are lit up but they're not attracting the pests as they should.

Please could someone who has knowledge of these devices let me know why my trap is being ignored?

Will changing the tubes cure the problem and if so to which type are the best to use?

Are LED tubes available in place of the old style fluorescent type?

It's great to hear another flying pest meet its end by being caught in the high voltage pylon which is in front of the UV tubes

I'd like to see the same set up (high voltage traps) used to protect our bikes from theft but I'll concentrate on the fly killer for now!

Thanks

UV fluorescent tubes degrade over time. If they’ve stopped attracting the bugs then they’re goosed.
Change the tubes. Yes, you can get led units which don’t degrade over time. Don’t know if they do replacement led tubes for your version.

UV fluorescent tubes degrade over time. If they’ve stopped attracting the bugs then they’re goosed.
Change the tubes. Yes, you can get led units which don’t degrade over time. Don’t know if they do replacement led tubes for your version.

Thanks for that

Are there suggestions for discrete versions of these or alternatives that can be left in situ, suitable for an open plan lounge/kitchen, we have a lot of trees and nearby water and get a lot of those bigger flies in summer, must have zapped over 100 with ‘the executioner’ last year, great fun hitting them with an electric tennis racket tho and hearing the crack!

Are there suggestions for discrete versions of these or alternatives that can be left in situ, suitable for an open plan lounge/kitchen, we have a lot of trees and nearby water and get a lot of those bigger flies in summer, must have zapped over 100 with ‘the executioner’ last year, great fun hitting them with an electric tennis racket tho and hearing the crack!

When looking online for replacement tubes, there are some much more discrete looking versions to the one I have. Mine's OK but I would prefer not to have it.

Cheers Steve where online were you looking? Amazon / ebay etc? They are a menace flies i hate the things

If they get caught in the mesh, and you keep the power on, they smoke, some whine! and then they all go bang, the downside is the smell of burning :)

If they get caught in the mesh, and you keep the power on, they smoke, some whine! and then they all go bang, the downside is the smell of burning :)

I quite like hearing them crack and sizzle and would love to hear scumcnut bike thieves do the same!

My replacement tubes arrived today but sadly it's wet so I won't get any flies to try them out.

When I bought our house in 2011, I installed a fly trap/killer with two 15 watt UV tubes in the kitchen area because we have a stream running through the garden which attracts a lot of pests.

It's become frustrating to have flies buzzing around the windows completely ignoring the fly catcher trap. The UV tubes are lit up but they're not attracting the pests as they should.

Please could someone who has knowledge of these devices let me know why my trap is being ignored?

Will changing the tubes cure the problem and if so to which type are the best to use?

Are LED tubes available in place of the old style fluorescent type?

It's great to hear another flying pest meet its end by being caught in the high voltage pylon which is in front of the UV tubes

I'd like to see the same set up (high voltage traps) used to protect our bikes from theft but I'll concentrate on the fly killer for now!

Thanks

Hi, have you found the alternative already? I am already looking for a new fly trap to install at home and in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom