Breakdown Cover

dr nosh

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of knocking BMW warranty on the head this year and put equivalent amount of money into a separate account to cover.

As it also includes breakdown cover I will want to replace that, just for UK use.

Looking for suggestions and recommendations for motorcycle breakdown cover.

(Use Green Flag for the car, but cannot say if they are good or bad, never having to call them out at all...ooops thats torn it!)

Do you want UK only or Europe?
If you only want UK, can you upgrade the Green Flag to personal for a reasonable price? Green Flag gets good reviews.

You can get a standalone UK policy for under £30 and a European one for under £70. I'm currently using a policy via https://www.comparebreakdowncover.co.uk/ but like you not had to test it out. There was a discount code but it does not seem valid now so does not look so cheap this year. Also, check https://www.moneysupermarket.com/breakdown-cover/
I've used Startrescue in the past and they continue to get good recommendations.

A lot of these policies are entirely dependent on the luck of the draw as they use local agents and you might get a good one or a dodgy one. That could be the call centre person and/or the actual roadside bod, each of you with a different first language.

Auto Aid for me. :thumb
Personal cover, so it does all my bikes and cars as well as anything else I'm a passenger in.
I've had to use them once, and they were very efficient on the phone, and the recovery was quick and hassle free.

Thinking of knocking BMW warranty on the head this year and put equivalent amount of money into a separate account to cover.

As it also includes breakdown cover I will want to replace that, just for UK use.

Looking for suggestions and recommendations for motorcycle breakdown cover.

(Use Green Flag for the car, but cannot say if they are good or bad, never having to call them out at all...ooops thats torn it!)

I took out the Greenflag one last year, not had to use so no personal experience on a claim however when I read the policy document to cover it offered looked excellent.

I have had Britannia Rescue Personal cover for years. Covers self and wife whatever vehicle we are in (driver or passenger). Covers bike as well. Over more than 40 years have been brought home to Suffolk many times.

Carlton Estate and caravan from Sussex, electronic ignition failure.
Passat estate (twice), water pump and fan belt.
Another Passat estate, wife driving, fan belt again.
MkIV Cortina, blown engine
Skoda Yeti, battery.
R1100RT unrepairable puncture just outside Abergavenny. Garage couldn't find another tyre so they brought us home.

Like most of these companies they sub contract to local garages to recover/sort you out. I have never had a problem.

Was with friends in Holland many years ago. On the last night of the holiday their brand new Honda Blackbird was stolen from the hotel car park. Hire cars were sorted, Heerlen to Ostend and Dover to their home. Britannia Continental.

We were with Britannia Continental travel insurance in July 2002 when the wife slipped and broke her ankle nearly 2,000 metres up a French Alp. She was winched up off the mountain (got a photo somewhere of her hanging in mid air) and taken to Bourg St Maurice hospital. Once I phoned it through to the call centre they took over. Ankle operation, four nights in hospital, taxi to Geneva airport, three seats on a scheduled BA flight to Heathrow and a taxi home to Suffolk. Our kids took over till I came back on the bike a couple of days later. When I got the bill for the helicopter (1800 euros) I just sent it to them and never heard any more.

As you can gather I am more than just a satisfied customer.

tom

Back
Top Bottom