Leather walking boots advice

Thing that pisses me of , doesn't matter what brand or how much you spend the eyelets on these type of boot come out and always end up chewing the laces up !

Thing that pisses me of , doesn't matter what brand or how much you spend the eyelets on these type of boot come out and always end up chewing the laces up !

Never had an issue with my Scarpa, eylelets never gave up. The soles departed on my first pair after 1000s of miles, could have got them resoled, but decided on a new pair

Have had many pairs of textile books, they all leak eventually, especially if your walking through wet grass or common land. The Scarpa leather boots with Gortex lining have never leaked and mine get used for at least 6 miles every day.
I think they're predominantly a fashion brand.

Have had many pairs of textile books, they all leak eventually, especially if your walking through wet grass or common land. The Scarpa leather boots with Gortex lining have never leaked and mine get used for at least 6 miles every day.

I've still got a pair of Karrimor KSB Gore-Tex that I bought in '94. They've seen a fair bit of use, including a few Munros, over the years and they've never leaked.

I finally replaced them in 2018 with a pair of Lowa Renegade Gore-Tex. https://www.lowa.co.uk/shop/product-13-renegade-gtx-mid-2018

I've still got a pair of Karrimor KSB Gore-Tex that I bought in '94. They've seen a fair bit of use, including a few Munros, over the years and they've never leaked.

I finally replaced them in 2018 with a pair of Lowa Renegade Gore-Tex. https://www.lowa.co.uk/shop/product-13-renegade-gtx-mid-2018

In the last 30 years, i've had one pair of textile boots that never leaked until the soles fell off. Every pair since then (all makes) eventually started to leak, exchanged at least two pairs at Cotswold because they were leaking and each time upgraded to a better pair, same result. Eventually moved back to leather and all has been good. The Salamon rep even told me, textile boots will all leak if you are walking through wet grass, as it forces the water through the vortex. So leather it is for me now. I do think Altberg boots are brilliant, wore them for years in the Military, its just easier to try boots on in places like Cotswold.

textile boots will all leak if you are walking through wet grass, as it forces the water through the vortex.

There's your problem, right there. You need to try ones with Gore-Tex. :augie

I do think Altberg boots are brilliant, wore them for years in the Military, its just easier to try boots on in places like Cotswold.

I'm lucky, the Altberg factory is a fab motorbike ride away across the North Yorks moors :) Always a pleasure

I’m not sure about being a fashion brand but I do think they’re a bit over hyped if you know what I mean?

I’ve used various pairs of Scarpa boots for rock climbing, summer rock scrambles, low level winter walking and high altitude mountaineering and they’ve done me proud in every instance :thumb2

I live in walking boots 6 days a week and tried most good quality brands miendl altberg and the like which are good boots but my last half dozen pairs have been Scarpa and for me they're best. I have a pair of SL Actives and a pair of Delta gtx.If you use their leather cream they last for years (they last me 1 year which is more than i get out of any others )

I have Altberg, my wife has Altberg. We have totally different foot shapes obviously.

“You have a woman’s foot, m’lord. I’ll wager that foot has never been planted in.....”

ef41888cceec7ce4a2a69222fa5c9018.jpg

Altberg are a great boot, very comfortable, i just wish the vibram soles were not made of cheese, i get about 4 months max, of walking 6-7 mile a day, of mainly hard surface (roads, pavement), apart from that a really good boot

Meindle ... without a doubt.

Best pair of boots I've ever had, wide fitting so my bunions aren't a problem :D

Issued to the German Army :thumb

Dey R di best :thumby:

Mine ....

They were over £200 in 'Go Outdoors' when I went, made the girl cry :eek:

The first pair she brought were these, I tried them on, they fitted beautifully and were so so comfortable. Tried some cheaper boots but they all felt like bloody clogs! Said I'd probably end up buying them because they'll probably be that last pair of boots I'll be buying. She burst in to tears and splathered out "Don't be saying that, please don't say that" and sobbed ...

I said that my Berghaus had lasted 24 years (don't be expecting the modern Berghaus to last) and if these last 24 years I'm kinda out of here :D

With discount card and Caravan and Camping Club discount card they came out at £175.00 Money well spent I can tell ya :thumb

:beerjug:

Altberg are well made but I can’t get a pair that fits me well. Scarpa are good quality boots. Having said that I’ve got a pair in the garage that I bought pre millenium for mountaineering. They’re in the garage because they rip my feet to pieces. Magnet got hold of a pair of Lowa boots 10 years ago and rates them really highly. She’s just replaced them with the same. Personally I’m using Meindl now and they’re in truth the only really comfortable boots I’ve ever owned.

I think the key is to find a good independent outdoor shop, try a few, and listen to advice. There are a few in my part of the world but if you’re shopping near to home you’ll have to seek one out.

On the positive side I didn’t rate Brasher so the change will probably be an improvement.

Altberg make proper walking boots not just the military style, they have a new last shape as well as the original, their walking boots are in a different league to the tactical stuff check out the website.

Back
Top Bottom