Leather walking boots advice

Altberg are well made but I can’t get a pair that fits me well. Scarpa are good quality boots. Having said that I’ve got a pair in the garage that I bought pre millenium for mountaineering. They’re in the garage because they rip my feet to pieces.

Best go to the Altberg factory and get a fitting service. The socks you wear also make a great difference (I like Smartwool or Thorlo)

I purchased some Berhghaus Hillwalker 2 goretex boots a while back, amazingly comfy for my wide feet (and didn't Berghaus consume Brasher).

bl_179257_a

RBW.

I got these for £150 after discount. Not given them any serious use yet.
bl_074769_a

Blacks are always sending discount codes.

Apparently I have a pair of Meindl. I've been out for a little walk in them today for a whole 90 minutes. Went to the local woods.

Saw nobody else as it was raining.

Best go to the Altberg factory and get a fitting service. The socks you wear also make a great difference (I like Smartwool or Thorlo)

I did. I’ve been a number of times for my Hogg boots for the bike and I’ve been through the fitting service. They have a number of width sizes but they’re not made to measure unless you pay them to make you a last which doubles the price. My current pair, which I think are Tethera’s or similar, are okay in winter for a 3 or 4 mile walk but they’re not comfortable. Now they’re expensive gardening boots. Well made though!

That’s why I’ve moved on to Meindl.

I went up to Altberg with the intention of having a pair made, they measured me up.

So good so far ...

But my bunions would necessitate a bit of loose around them? "No Sir, you'll need a size larger for that"

"So they're gonna be larger than I need overall, a slack fit, but good across the bunions?"

"Yes Sir"

Actually they didn't call me sir, they were taking the piss .... so I bought the comfiest boots I've ever had .... Meindl :D

:beerjug:

I've used Altberg boots continually since 1996, starting with their Field & Fell with the Gore Tex lining. They lasted years and were refurbished at the factory before carrying on for some more years. I have used their Clubman Roadster on the bike also for many years, also refurbed once and still good. Nowadays I use the Defender for working in and they usually last me about two years. But for walking, I don't think you can beat Meindl. I'm about to go on to my third pair of the Borneo. This boot is not Gore Tex but doesn't need to be, kept waxed I have never had any water ingress, and that is why they get recommended over the Gore Tex version, which can make your feet feel damp on a long trek. All day comfort straight out of the box, great foot and ankle support with the memory foam system around the top of the boot. Go to a walking shop and get fitted for them though, because in the size I would take in other shoes/boots, the toe box on the Meindl's can be a bit 'close' which can become a problem on a long walk. Best I've had by far.

I've had my Meindl leather boots for a couple of years now,was even measured by the guy in the shop to make sure I got the correct size.Absolutely lovely,comfortable and same as what other people on here have written about them.

Another vote for the Scarpa gtx's. Which ever boots you choose Go Outdoors will beat onlines prices by 10% and as Blacks are currently advertising them at £120 you'd get the for £108 rather than their advertised price of £140 if Blacks have your size. I got mine for £88 18 months ago:beerjug:

I'd love to have a go with half the boots you all go on about ;)

Unfortunately if you have small feet, all the major chains don't want to know, they treat there start size as a 7 or in some cases 8

If you want smaller its special order, so you have to wait ages for them to come in, that's if they can or will be arsed to order them.

bought a pair of alt berg hogg microlites in 2013. Wore them on the bike to work and in work for 7 years, still going strong. Waterproof once you use their product, comfy.

Back
Top Bottom