Leather walking boots advice

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know it was covered some time ago, (12 years) but am interested in opinions on current leather walking boots. My last pair, (Brashers) were great but are no longer made. I am not interested in the modern textile boots.

Altberg make some very good kit. When I was in there last year getting measured up, there was Special Forces Major getting fitted for his second set of leather boots from them.

Probably don’t get much of a better recommendation than that if you want some “tactical” boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If I were you I'd just go to a decent walking/outdoor shop and seek their advice. Then find a pair that fit properly. A £100 pair that fit well and are comfy will be way better than a £200 pair of ill-fitting ones.

I have Altberg, my wife has Altberg. We have totally different foot shapes obviously. Brilliant boots

Another vote for Altberg.

I have walked literally thousands of miles in a pair of their boots - superb fit and day long comfortable. Clean with their Leder Gris (use nothing else) and they are as waterproof as leather boots can be. I specified mine without a waterproof membrane and they don't need one if you give them a blast of Leder Gris every now and again.

I had mine made to measure which is the obvious route if at all possible. They are now approximately ten years old and they are still in very good condition.

They will need a resole soon which Altberg do no problem. TBH I don't intend to buy another pair of walking boots......ever.

I go through a pair of walking boots in about 18 months.The soles wear out and every make I've tried fall apart.I currently have a very comfortable pair of Brashers which were 130 quid from memory.Interested in the Altberbs lasting so long.I wear them twice a day everyday to walk the dogs so they do some miles.

I go through a pair of walking boots in about 18 months.The soles wear out and every make I've tried fall apart.I currently have a very comfortable pair of Brashers which were 130 quid from memory.Interested in the Altberbs lasting so long.I wear them twice a day everyday to walk the dogs so they do some miles.

Your ideal would be two pairs of altbergs. Wear them alternative days and after perhaps 4 or 5 yrs you'd be looking at re-soles, so send 1 pair in while still having the other...then vice versa...then keep walking for another 4 or 5 yrs and repeat. Looking back in 10 yrs I suspect it'd be a cheaper way. Just a thought

On my second pair of Scarpa TREK GTX, brilliant boot. They are not cheap, but they are apparently hand made in Italy. I would also recommend Altberg, but have been so happy with the Scarpa went back to them for my latest boots. Scarpa will also do a sole replacement if required.

Scarpa are an excellent brand with many styles of boots and decent prices too.

Also to be considered are Raichle and Meindl.

Don't forget the UKGSer discount at Cotswolds too! :thumb

+1 for Altberg. Worn nothing else in the hills (for non-Alpine or ice routes) for at least 7 years.
Perfect 3-season boots, and a visit to the factory shop is a great day out (combined with a ride in the Yorkshire Dales :))

A cheap option is to get the ex-forces ones, the "Defender". Not as well made IMO as the civvie ones but great deals to be had on ebay...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-...=16279556014413e69bc435c8413a9c721bd1815991da
The forces ones don't seem to do half-sizes (I believe they vary the sizing by changing footbeds?), and the linings don't seem as good (I have both)

I’d always go for Scarpa boots but try them on and walk around the shop for at least 10 minutes because I’ve found that they’re a touch on the small side in their sizing though they do give a bit over a couple of hundred hours use :D

After my last boot fiasco,

I purchased a set of Altbergs in there wide fitting ;)

For me they needed a lot of breaking in, there starting to get comfortable now :)

Lets see how long this pair last ;)

Altberg are excellent, as is their customer service. I’ve bought direct over the phone no issues. There maybe some supply issues due to where the boots are made. I wear their Sneekers as work boot, superb! comfy out of the box, though maybe a bit “high” for some? The lacing is very good, and easy. It depends on what you like and what use you need. Altberg do not spend money on advertising, they don’t need to!

Surprised no one has mentioned Meindle boots. Many different models to suit most people. Very popular with professional users who do a lot of walking each day.
Top ones for me are Douvre plus and Glockner if you prefer a shorter boot. The island is well thought of but one I have not tried yet.
They also make military Boots, and chainsaw boots (woodwalker),which you can also walk in all day.

If you need them for quasi-tactical purposes then Altbergs might be appropriate, but if you want them for walking modern textile boots will out perform them comfortably.

Just compare the weights.

Surprised no one has mentioned Meindle boots. Many different models to suit most people. Very popular with professional users who do a lot of walking each day.
Top ones for me are Douvre plus and Glockner if you prefer a shorter boot. The island is well thought of but one I have not tried yet.
They also make military Boots, and chainsaw boots (woodwalker),which you can also walk in all day.

I would have agreed with you whole heartedly once....until first my Meindl Burma Pro leaked and then my Meindl Dovres!

I replaced them with a pair of Lowas...

https://www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk/clothing-and-boots/lowa-hunter-gtx-evo-extreme

They have done 2 seasons at Fettercairn, and although I will not be as hard on boots as you, I do have to wander across rivers burns etc....so far they have kept me dry. Pleased with them.

Once I would never have contemplated anything but Meindl.....

I must agree that my Altberg walking type motorcycle boots have done very well, and I took them into Altberg to be refurbed last year. Some of the moorland keepers in and around that neck of the woods were given some and they didn't last very well....

I mentioned Meindl. I collect my £5. :thumb

If you need them for quasi-tactical purposes then Altbergs might be appropriate, but if you want them for walking modern textile boots will out perform them comfortably.

Just compare the weights.

Have had many pairs of textile books, they all leak eventually, especially if your walking through wet grass or common land. The Scarpa leather boots with Gortex lining have never leaked and mine get used for at least 6 miles every day.

Back
Top Bottom