Macbook air - who are the 'other users'?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's not me...seems to take rather a lot of memory but I've no idea who the 'other users' are.
Is there a way to delete the other users safely and without deleting vital folders?

I've looked on the interweb but still baffled.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 11.26.00.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 11.26.00.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 179
Do you have a backup system in place?
TimeMachine or some other? Sometimes those can be snapshots.

I had a problem with the memory on my MacBook always approaching capacity. Taking advice from an IT person I purchased CleanmyMac X and I now regularly have 40-50% or the memory available whereas before it was around 10-15%.

The 'other' is still a big chunk but much less that it was

https://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

The subscription is £30 per year but this is probably less expensive than a new Mac or extra memory

I would advise against using cleanmymac. However its personal choice.

Other users means there is another user folder somewhere on your drive.

I have you checked in Users and accounts to make sure you are the only one?

If you download DaisyDisk, it breaks down all of your files and tells you what they are in a nice graphic display which you can drill down on.

It's rather good.

If you download DaisyDisk, it breaks down all of your files and tells you what they are in a nice graphic display which you can drill down on.

It's rather good.

From a lay persons point of view, the breakdown of the files is not always much use as some knowledge of what is and isn't needed/important is required

From a lay persons point of view, the breakdown of the files is not always much use as some knowledge of what is and isn't needed/important is required

It helps to provide insight as to what the files are, then a decision can be made whether you need it or not.

I would not like to use software that tells me what to delete off the computer, especially if I wasn't IT savvy.

I’d need to check with my IT literate son

Ok let me know.

Also a screenshot, or just a list of what is inside your Users folder might be handy.

Macintosh HD/Users

Snpashots are... well... "snapshots" of your hard drive done by the system before a backup.
Usually they are not counted in the allocated disk space, but it might happen. They might appear as another user, but it is rare.

I'll advice too agains installing clean my mac and other bloatware like that.

Daisy disk is very nice.
But you can also use OmniDiskSweeper from the Omni group. It is free, does the same thing, just in a slightly less fancy form :)

am I doing something wrong do you think?

No, you are not doing anything wrong.
Just, clean my mac is pretty shite software (bloatware) that sits there slowing down your computer and prompting you to pay for some very basic operations you can learn yourself in 2 minutes.

Trash is kept within the user's folder (~/.Trash), so anything into the trash will come out of his data.

Another vote for DaisyDisk. I've been using it for years and it does a visually very nice job of showing you what it taking up space.

Sorry if I insist: https://www.omnigroup.com/more
It's free!

Monsieur did you manage to check about backups?
In case, do this: open the Terminal (don't worry, super easy), and copy/paste this command:

sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

press return, type your password when prompted.

See if it lists any snapshots.

Back
Top Bottom