Misfire, carbs or coil?

Don't know how far you have got, but the carbs should have the rubber bung on the balancing port. If it idles ok the idling jet side of things must be passing fuel ok. Similarly for the blipping, the intermediate jet is passing fuel. That balancing port might upset the main jet (unlikely) but vacuum leaks anywhere are not good news. If someone's tried to balance the carbs with that missing, you'll need to rebalance them when the bung is replaced. Anything that securely stops the flow should do until you get a new one (or 2).

Conclusion

Hi all,
several times I thought I had it sorted, balancing nipple blocked and new diaphragms for good measure, went for a short spin, and misfire returned. Put in new coil, and carb floats/valves. Went for a 50k spin, going possible better than ever until about 2k from home, then misfire again. Got ignition control module from local motor factors, ( FEBI, with modified heat sink, €25 ) and spurious plug leads. About 80k on Sunday with no problems.
I am still not sure what the original problem was, balancing bung was definitely missing, and maybe for some time previously, so maybe as simple as plug leads or intermittent ignition control module / black box.
Looking for nipple bungs, usual bmw online sources don't list them.
Sorry de crowe, not original colour, resprayed in Switzerland before I bought it in Germany, but very close to a R 65 colour I used to have.

Back
Top Bottom