KTM 500 EXC-F dual sport Mod thoughts

Thanks for the photos Andy, nice set up, looks like something I would choose.

Todd, I too have Rade Garage parts on my 690, including the aux fuel tank and foot pegs and brake lever. I like the carbon tower of the Rade Garage, but think the lights on the Nomad are a better option.

I’m doing research on Adventurer Rider to see if anybody has fitted the Rade tower to their 500, there seems a few with the nomad stuff. The Motominded tower looks good, but have seen reports that the screws and fasteners corrode (not great in our weather) also its in the States and would have to pay customs.

Andy, did you beef up your electrics for the extra electrical stuff on your bike?

Todd, I too have Rade Garage parts on my 690, including the aux fuel tank and foot pegs and brake lever. I like the carbon tower of the Rade Garage, but think the lights on the Nomad are a better option.

I've got the pegs and brake lever, but have been thinking about the aux. fuel tank - what do you reckon to it, and was it easy to fit?

Andy, did you beef up your electrics for the extra electrical stuff on your bike?

Mine still has the standard battery which would give me concerns if the bike was left outside in sub zero temperatures (not as unlikely as it sounds) and while normally you’d warm the battery up by simply turning on the ignition so the lights drew power and warmed it on mine nothing happens until the engine starts so you need to give it a quick prod of the starter, wait hen give it another quick prod before holding the button in. I know it sounds odd but even in a garage it doesn’t like the cold.

I’m still toying with the idea of putting a second battery in the tool box but have it on quick release plugs so I can put it somewhere warm at night when I’m away acting the fool :doris

Todd, I fitted the aux tank by just connecting it to the breather of the fuel cap. It works really well, syphons the fuel through, quiet a few owners have done it this way.

Cheers Andy, I’m speaking to Mark71 about upgrading the electrics, he runs 2 batteries on his 525. Also been chatting to Richparker about his 500 build.

Ive put two Antigravity 4 cell lithium batteries in parallel and that gives me so much more torque for starting the bike and with the stator upgrade to a 3 phase stator it is so much better to run everything however to get the best of it all I have also created a new wiring loom as the original EXC loom isn't sufficient for a rally/adventure bike at all.

Is fitting a 3 phase stator a plug & play type of job or something best palmed off to someone with more than very basic electrical competency?

Changing the stator is not a huge job as long as you understand electrics and if your going to do that you may as well upgrade the wiring look as this will allow you to get much more from the bike and still a lot lighter than the 640 adv but different horses for different courses having had both of the bikes I can say that they are very different machines.

Changing the stator is not a huge job as long as you understand electrics and if your going to do that you may as well upgrade the wiring look as this will allow you to get much more from the bike and still a lot lighter than the 640 adv but different horses for different courses having had both of the bikes I can say that they are very different machines.

I have a 520 as well and it's partially transformed to be used as a travel bike , yes the 500 will still be a bit lighter when everyone's finished spending their thousands of pounds but will that make it a better bike especially compared to a sorted 640?
That's the $1m question or the 1 Dime question with the 640 :D ;)

If KTM did a newer version of the old 640 there’d be one in my garage now but whatever they make will be bloated and full of what I’d consider unnecessary crap that just add weight. Even the 690 and 701 half brothers are heavy lumps compared to a 500 or 501 and the smaller bike will run rings around them once you’re off fully made up roads if you put equally competent riders on the bikes.

I’m happy with my bike even though they’re rapidly turning into the latest clit bike :green gri

Yes it's only banter ;) if I was starting to build a bike and 'had' to use a newer model it would be the 500/501.

If we’re ever in the same area you know you’ll be encouraged to have a go on it so I can get another opinion but from someone who’s had a 640.

525 MXC Desert

Hi Guys

I am looking at selling my 525 MXC Desert which has been stripped and rebuilt from the ground up and has all the below including some other bits I have forgotten about and replacing it with a 790 and a Rebel X front end but the question is what is it worth?

Rear wheel with Cush drive
Highway dirt bikes front end
Baja designs Squadron LED Lights
Skeen headlight dimmer
Titanium large rally footpegs
Easy access clutch side casing
New front and rear wheel bearings
SM Pro wheel rims and s/s spokes
Acerbis 25 litre rally fuel tank
Akrapovic full exhaust system
Additional rally rear light
New brake pads front and rear
New rally bash plate
HDB rally hand guards
380 watt 3 phase generator & Full DC regulator rectifier
Larger KTM battery box
Uprated large capacity battery
Ignition switch (keyed)
Carbon fibre fork guards
Carbon fibre frame guards
Rally routed new front Venhill brake line
Shorty clutch and brake lever
USB charger
Rally Raid Road Book Mounting plate
Koso oil and coolant temp gauge
Koso time and voltage meter

Give me a clue what you think that it is worth for someone who is looking for a ready to race ally bike or a very well sorted adventure bike

Attachments

• Gib Rally 2018 - 01.jpg
    Gib Rally 2018 - 01.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 360
  • KTM 525.jpg
    KTM 525.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 415
I wouldn’t like to even have a wild guess at what you should ask but good luck with the sale, it’s a lovely bike for lightweight adventure touring.

I would think that it is probably worth a great deal more to you than what you will actually get for it. People buying don't take into account the time and effort that goes into building something like this. It's an old bike now and in there eyes that will be their excuse to hammer you on price.
I would keep it and get the 790 aswell. Make a decision once you know the bigger bike does all you want it to do.

I would think that it is probably worth a great deal more to you than what you will actually get for it. People buying don't take into account the time and effort that goes into building something like this. It's an old bike now and in there eyes that will be their excuse to hammer you on price.
I would keep it and get the 790 aswell. Make a decision once you know the bigger bike does all you want it to do.

Talk sense he does, agree with him I do.
Mark

As above. There’s lots for sale where the owner has thrown a catalogue at it and hopes to recover it all plus their time.
Unfortunately they won’t get near that price unless someone is specifically looking for that exact spec.
Almost always it’s better to strip to OE and sell the parts with the bike as an add-on package or in separate lots.

As above. There’s lots for sale where the owner has thrown a catalogue at it and hopes to recover it all plus their time.
Unfortunately they won’t get near that price unless someone is specifically looking for that exact spec.
Almost always it’s better to strip to OE and sell the parts with the bike as an add-on package or in separate lots.

I'm sure the owner will strongly disagree a catalogue's been thrown at it, this is a proper bike thats evolved into a tool....like all the best bikes :)

I'm sure the owner will strongly disagree a catalogue's been thrown at it, this is a proper bike thats evolved into a tool....like all the best bikes :)

I'd agree with that.

Mark 71, find some way of keeping it, looks reet proper.

Back
Top Bottom