KTM 500 EXC-F dual sport Mod thoughts

I’m also on the lookout for one, if you get offered something and are not interested, send them my way please.

Pretty sure you can get a kicker conversion on later bikes and the change for 16 to 17 and on bikes is huge

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.

Just can't believe the price they are going for... all EXC range tbh.

Seems as though the market for dirt bikes is out performing everything.

Was toying with the idea of flogging my 990r, and going g for one of these :p silly question, can you put a aftermarket ignition on these beasts, they always appeal to me, but the security side of it, whilst out and about.
Puts me off.

Was toying with the idea of flogging my 990r, and going g for one of these :p silly question, can you put a aftermarket ignition on these beasts, they always appeal to me, but the security side of it, whilst out and about.
Puts me off.

Many fit either a keyed or hidden ignition switch to trail bikes, this would be no different.

Not sure why everyone wants the 500. They are a bit of a "thug". I tried one for a couple of days... damned thing was ripping my arms off! Then I tried a EXC350F. Just as much grunt,doesnt want to dismember you and is lighter.

So I bought one - and I'm so glad I did!

Attachments

• IMG_5343.jpg
    IMG_5343.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 726
Never ridden anything in the 350 - 500 KTM range but i would argue the 500 offers more potential as a dual sport conversion than a 350 with soft luggage racks and an aftermarket tank on it. Don't doubt it would be a brute though in its standard form.

Had a brilliant but heavy 1150 for years (perfect on the highway and dry gravel roads maybe) and a 990 now and even the 990 in the dirt is a handful. However better bigger riders perhaps can manage it better than I (5,11 / 11.5 stone)

Cheers for your thoughts.

Puts me off.

You can put one on new Husqvarna 501s so I don’t see why not.

Phone Mike at Nomad and he’d almost certainly either sell you one or tell you where to get one from.

https://www.nomad-adv.com/

I think this depends on what your expectations are they still have a smallish sump and require regular changes. Have a read of Andrew Dalton on his Husky 350 did thousands of miles but oil changes every 20 hours the 500 will be the same.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have no doubt. RTW Paul I think plans to extend the oil change intervals through a combination of gearing mods and riding it more economically i guess carrying a litre of oil with him at a time. However in its stock form and used as a dirt bike regular oil changes every 20 hours as you say seem to be norm. At least everything is relatively accessible.

Puts me off.

I think from 2017 onwards they come with an ignition.

I have no doubt. RTW Paul I think plans to extend the oil change intervals through a combination of gearing mods and riding it more economically i guess carrying a litre of oil with him at a time. However in its stock form and used as a dirt bike regular oil changes every 20 hours as you say seem to be norm. At least everything is relatively accessible.

I’ve fitted a larger clutch cover on my 501 on the grounds that the extra capacity will give the oil an easier time and when I finally get the chance to use it as a travel bike I’ll probably change the oil every 2k miles.

I’ve also changed the gearing and fitted a rear wheel with a cush drive which should give the clutch an easier life. Changing the tyres to dual purpose ones and fitting a more comfortable seat helps but it’s an expensive project once you start :blast

Everything I’ve done to my 501 is detailed in the Husqvarna section and everything I’ve done would be the same on a KTM.

CCM using the BMW 450 engine (.9 L Oil capacity) have a several thousand miles between oil changes - The modification they make is to limit revs.

The 500EXC has so much grunt through self discipline you can do the same that plus which a new clutch cover it will hold 1.4 L oil so it’s not or unsafe to extended the range and that range can be based on what’s available - Need to do some big miles before you can get some good oil then just peg it back on how you ride it.

I changed oil half way around on Mark/Tim’s Morocco trip - I needn’t have bothered it came out very clean but thinking back that’s not surprising as most of the riding is on the pegs bumbling along at 40 - 50 MPH

That’s the other great thing about the 500EXC, fuel economy - Getting 70 mpg plus is not hard

In fact when I was looking for a KTM it was Martin at Torque Racing who recommended the 500 and that was one of the reasons - When he services bikes on Rally’s one of the jobs is filling up - He said it’s very noticeable how little fuel a 500 uses compared to a 450 and others.

Yes the can be brutal but they can also bimble

Back
Top Bottom