Usual Corrosion

Mine was spotless when I put it away nearly 3 years ago. :blast

It’s at the back of my storage unit somewhere. Bought loads of farkles through the years and just chucked them in there with it. :blast I’ll probably never use it again but it’s too good to sell. If you know what I mean.

Just spent 3 hours, no exaggeration,removing baked on XCP rust protector layer from my 1100 rear wheel with petrol. It did the job but never again do I want to do that - the hub is so intricate. From now on will use power wash to spray down after winter rides.

As a serial bike purchaser I frequently muse about replacing the trusty carbed 1100 with a shiny faster more recent version. Then I ride it back to back with a 2018 RT Blood bike and recognise once more how the engine delivers its lesser but sufficient power in a much more satisfying way which just feels right for an adventure bike. and yeah it polishes up well. So I'm not going to waste money buying an old bike to do up during lockdown but try and tackle a few of its 20 years old 70 k rough edges.

Just spent 3 hours, no exaggeration,removing baked on XCP rust protector layer from my 1100 rear wheel with petrol. It did the job but never again do I want to do that - the hub is so intricate. From now on will use power wash to spray down after winter rides.

As a serial bike purchaser I frequently muse about replacing the trusty carbed 1100 with a shiny faster more recent version. Then I ride it back to back with a 2018 RT Blood bike and recognise once more how the engine delivers its lesser but sufficient power in a much more satisfying way which just feels right for an adventure bike. and yeah it polishes up well. So I'm not going to waste money buying an old bike to do up during lockdown but try and tackle a few of its 20 years old 70 k rough edges.

Let’s see a pic

Mine was spotless when I put it away nearly 3 years ago. :blast

It’s at the back of my storage unit somewhere. Bought loads of farkles through the years and just chucked them in there with it. :blast I’ll probably never use it again but it’s too good to sell. If you know what I mean.

Don’t sell it, let me take care of it for you. :augie:augie:augie

How about this old girl.....looking forward to getting her out of the back of the garage and blowing the cob webs off her once we are out of lockdown :)

Over Winter I've fitted a new MRA screen , a decat centre exhaust piece and a new Remus end can and a few other farkles

I'll post some new pictures once its out of the garage

A thing of absolute beauty.
How about this old girl.....looking forward to getting her out of the back of the garage and blowing the cob webs off her once we are out of lockdown :)

Over Winter I've fitted a new MRA screen , a decat centre exhaust piece and a new Remus end can and a few other farkles

I'll post some new pictures once its out of the garage

They do scrub up, though this only has 35k on and rides like it was 2yrs old.
abc699e646b942b4091c4e15f01c6f31.jpg
d39b7c853bdd36c664aec45497b294cd.jpg
cf7ea011392cdbd7a1d9fc9464195c4f.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Great thread, love these immaculate 1150s, if anyone is thinking of selling one I could be tempted (again).

Really really good bikes once their setup right, I've just put some iridium's in and k&n, lifting front in 3rd now, prob will never sell it (said that before)

Really really good bikes once their setup right, I've just put some iridium's in and k&n, lifting front in 3rd now, prob will never sell it (said that before)

You need to take some weight out of the top box, makes them handle a lot better too.

Products

What cleaning products do you guys use to get them to that standard???

Can you send me details of what you’ve fitted please!!!

What cleaning products do you guys use to get them to that standard???

Standard car shampoo then wiped over with a WD40 soaked cloth in the early days, now use ACF50. Key has been to rinse it off after any winter rides then a shampoo wash every week. Mine was my daily commuter, 110 miles per day, for the first 18 months (2001 - 2003), did around 45,000 miles during that time. Then reduced to around 6,000 miles pa mixed commenting & leisure. Still a very nice bike to ride. Original suspension which is way past it’s best is still way better the the suspension on brand new FJRs. Thinking about changing the shocks but that would cost half what the bikes worth, so not sure if I’ll bother.

Back
Top Bottom