Newbie thinking of buying

Does having the factory lower suspension change how the bike rides or feels in any way?

No, rides the same, you just have to be aware that if you crank it right over it will ground 30mm before its std sibling ;)

and if you stick your foot out as you turn you are 30mm closer to the deck , so you may catch your foot -

Answer to that one is dont stick your foot out lol :)

For me with the factory low settings & ultra low seat feel like i'm sitting in the bike, and not on it. if that makes sense

with the low seat its fine, but i was happier that bit lower.

The best thing to do is ask the dealer for a ride on a low version and then see how you feel. If he still has his commison neggy head on, go elsewhere

Does having the factory lower suspension change how the bike rides or feels in any way?

I am a similar height and weight and used the standard setting and seat. 3000 miles and yes I’ve dropped it once. Low speed hairpin in town and had to slam on the breaks just as I turned. I lost the end of the gear lever. That’s it.

I would consider the factory lowered option and keep the more comfortable standard seat to start with. If it still feels high you can change it out.

The higher bike is teaching me to ride properly, anticipate stops, move around, sort my balance out. I came from a tiny Ducati 696 and I’m being tested but no regrets. None. It’s a great bike and I would recommend finding one that fits.

I guess these dealers will try to suggest whatever it suits them to sell you.

Not many dealers will have the various height options in the showroom so it can be difficult to decide because you can't try them out.

I was put off the factory lowered option on an 850 for a few reasons :

No centrestand
No electronic suspension
Resale

I’ve now lived with a standard Sport 850 with the low seat for a while and think :

I need the centrestand
Maybe i dont need the electronic suspension
Low seat is not very comfy after a while
I’d still worry about resale but not a lot.

Loving the f850 for short and longer rides, have trip booked to Spain but that’ll be cancelled as its only in two weeks.

Hth

Steve

Get a Honda CB500X :) Much cheaper, light, fun and unless you're a hooligan, enough speed/power.

Back
Top Bottom