Newbie thinking of buying

Jako999

Reaction score
Hi all sorry newbie with some questions before I buy.
I’m 5’5” with a 29” inside leg. I was away from bikes for 15 years then got the itch again last September, I used to have sports bikes and had a 900 fire blade for a short time which was just to big and heavy for me I finished up with a 400 baby blade which I loved then as I said a 15 year gap, so back to now I no longer want knees around my ears in fact at 53 there’s no way I can get them there or the 150 mph so bought a KTM Duke 390 last October and I have to say it’s great fits well and goes pretty well for my odd ride outs but it needs a little more overtaking power and it’s very lumpy at low speed and Im not the most confident rider. My brother used to have 1150 and it was so off putting I think I only sat on it once and never tried it out.
IÂ’ve been looking at upgrading it and the main player is a Duke 790 still very light at 170kg but it’s also called the scalpel and hooligan bike, no sure if that’s really what I want. I really like the look of the 750 GS and the reports are very good. I can’t get to demo yet due to the lock down but will have to wait and give it a go my main concern is it’s weight and physical size I want to feel confident, I know the suspension can be lowered and the seat changed but is that stil comfortable for a 200mile day out?
I know nearly all on here will love their bikes but any advice for a slightly shorter person with a little less confidence wold be much appreciated.

Is the sport worth the extra cash as it’s just going to be a ride every now and then bike and always on the road.

I live 10 miles south of Birmingham and don’t mind travelling so any recommendations for a good dealer will also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

I have the 750GS. It’s a great bike and is light on its feet when on the move. However it can be a bit heavy pushing around the driveway. It’s going to be more powerful than your 390 Duke bit the 790 will be a better bike if light weight is what you’re after. I believe the BMW with low suspension and low seat would be more than low enough for your height - you’d probably be fine with the std seat. It a comfortable enough - I tend to put an air hawk cushion on the std seat and good for all day riding. I’d possibly drop the pegs a bit as they feel a touch high, and you will get buffeting unless you go for a tallish screen. Clutch lever can be sticky when new but it goes away over time. It takes the std 1200GS luggage and I’d get the best-spec’ed version you can if you do go for one as they’re easier to find and will hold their value better (I got all the options as the price wasn’t much different to a regular sport model and was available within the dealer network).
Don’t let any of the above put you off - it’s the bike I’ve enjoyed the most for everyday riding of all the bikes I’ve owned (and I’ve had over 40 in the last 10 years!). Plenty of power, can sit at 70mph+ all day, a pleasure to commute on, comfortable and well-built.

Not a 750gs but I have a lowered F700gs. I also had a low seat F650gs before. Regarding all day comfort, the std GS twin seats can be a bit board like. Hence the aftermarket sector Kahedo Touratech Corbin and even BMW themselves selling “ comfort “ seats.

With any of the above or a std seat plus an airhawk as suggested by Matty above you will be fine.

Also I don’t know on the 750 but on the 650/700/800 you can remove the footrest rubber inserts which drops the footrest position down by appx 1/2”

Hi - I am a similar size/inside leg to you and I had a 750GS last year. I found that a standard bike with just the low seat option was fine and still comfortable for 200 mile-plus days. The issues I had with the bike were that the screen is rubbish - no protection and turbulence and I ended up trying the 850 screen and then an after-market one before I got something that worked for me; I found it quite top-heavy to move around, especially loaded with luggage, and I was unimpressed by both performance and braking - to be fair both were OK but nothing special. I thought handling was good though. Having said all that I have now gone back to a lowered 1250GS which, for me, is better in all respects and the extra weight is not really noticeable.

I'd go ride the 790 Duke as well, just because 'they' state its's a hooligan doesn't mean it needs riding with it to the throttle stop. :beerjug:

I've also had both the 390 and 790 Dukes - the latter is just like the former but on serious steroids. If you really like the 390 you will like the 790 as well but it is not an all-rounder like the BMW.

Hi - I am a similar size/inside leg to you and I had a 750GS last year. I found that a standard bike with just the low seat option was fine and still comfortable for 200 mile-plus days. The issues I had with the bike were that the screen is rubbish - no protection and turbulence and I ended up trying the 850 screen and then an after-market one before I got something that worked for me; I found it quite top-heavy to move around, especially loaded with luggage, and I was unimpressed by both performance and braking - to be fair both were OK but nothing special. I thought handling was good though. Having said all that I have now gone back to a lowered 1250GS which, for me, is better in all respects and the extra weight is not really noticeable.

It’s funny you should say that - I have both a 750 and an 850, and even though they use exactly the same callipers, the 850’s brakes are noticeably sharper. It could be a touch of air in the system but I’d probably attribute it to the braided steel lines on the 850. However, when you consider the new F900XR has proper 4-pistion mono bloc callipers (as does the 790), and the Tiger 900 comes with Brembo Stylemas (!), BMW really need to up their game. Offering no adjustment to front suspension on a £12-13K bike is also poor form and not in step with the rest of the market, ESA or no ESA.
Re the 1200/1250 - I agree that pushing around its no more difficult but if you’re stuck in traffic the big GS can be a right old barge. It’s 250Kg, low down weight I’ll grant you, but it’s a big old lump nevertheless. I had several and came to the conclusion that I wanted something smaller, lighter, more economical and without that horrendous drone from the boxer engine. The 750 fits the bill perfectly for me.

Hi Matty, interesting comments as I went for the 750GS (rather then the 850 which is just too tall for me) as I also thought a lighter, more nimble, bike would be good. However, I found that in the real world the 750 actually felt heavier than the 1200/1250GS (unless you are pushing it up hill!!) due to the way it carries its weight higher up and it is still not a particularly light bike; I tried a static 900XR before the lockdown and felt that also suffered from a similar feeling of weight as even getting it off the side stand was a struggle. I also love the boxer engine and the sounds it makes, although I agree the twins do sound good - but each to their own.

I'm a dwarf rider too,

don't be fooled ;)

anyone who try's to fill your head with small person small bike is an agent of Saruman, and one of the corrupt rings :(

The council of Elrond decreed that in order to take the "One" ring back to the magical land of Mordor

All options must be used ....

The R1200gs is the only pony of choice my friend.

it will take you to Mount doom, Hobbiton (literally), Rivendell and most of middle earth .

Like any pony, it needs a period of breaking in, its a shire horse at low speed, but give it the reins and Arod will carry you in comfort & speed with all your belongings

Think outside the box my little friend ;)

I’m going to disagree with those that think the 750 is underpowered it not up to all tasks. It did the job on a three day NC500 in terrible weather and I can still use it quite happily for a 10 min commute to work. In the current climate and with the lack of sales I’m sure you can pick up a good one nearly new for small money too. My regret is that I should have got it lowered for confidence and low speed, but as they say once you are going it’s perfect. Some minor changes over the winter have customised it for my preference and I have no interest in any other bike now having tested most of the competition at the time. I would choose the fully loaded gs sport. Seat is fine and you can always get an aftermarket at a later date. Screen essential. Wait for a rest ride and you’ll be amazed at handling and in my case performance too.

I’m going to disagree with those that think the 750 is underpowered and not up to all tasks. It did the job on a three day NC500 in terrible weather and I can still use it quite happily for a 10 min commute to work. In the current climate and with the lack of sales I’m sure you can pick up a good one nearly new for small money too. My regret is that I should have got it lowered for confidence and low speed, but as they say once you are going it’s perfect. Some minor changes over the winter have customised it for my preference and I have no interest in any other bike now having tested most of the competition at the time. I would choose the fully loaded gs sport. Seat is fine and you can always get an aftermarket at a later date. Screen essential. Wait for a rest ride and you’ll be amazed at handling and in my case performance too.

It’s only underpowered if you really want a hooligan/sports bike, tour two-up or you want the very dubious cachet of having the 1250 (it took 6 or 7 of them to realise I just don’t like that Boxer engine or the under-damped, seasick suspension). The 750 will happily cruise at fast motorway speeds all day. From the moment I test rode one it had noticeably more go than the 700. With a lower profile and a 19” front wheel it’s better than the 850GS, but the GSA is better for longer journeys, just that bit more plush suspension and comfortable.

go taller... I hand a rally raid shock put in my HP2e which was tall to start with it after that it was like sitting on a wardrobe afterwards that really improved my riding skill...

Demo update

Update time.
Well I had a demo on a 750 sport today with all the toys. First off I have to say I loved it really smooth, plenty of power and great in the bends, I felt a lot more confident on it at speed and slower cornering and I’m sure I rode better.
Then the confidence all went every time I came to a stop it just felt to heavy and very big. When I got back we were able to switch the seat for the lowered version which helped a little but I didn’t get to ride it with this seat on may be I will book another ride with the lower seat but that won’t overcome the weight.
It not easy getting the bike out from where it lives and I’m not sure I could do it easily.
If only it was a bit smaller and 30-40kg lighter. There’s nothing in the pipe line for a 600/650 version is there?

I need to grow a bit and get stronger but at the wrong side of 50 I can see that happening, this is going to take some thinking about 😁🙁😁🙁

Update time.
Well I had a demo on a 750 sport today with all the toys. First off I have to say I loved it really smooth, plenty of power and great in the bends, I felt a lot more confident on it at speed and slower cornering and I’m sure I rode better.
Then the confidence all went every time I came to a stop it just felt to heavy and very big. When I got back we were able to switch the seat for the lowered version which helped a little but I didn’t get to ride it with this seat on may be I will book another ride with the lower seat but that won’t overcome the weight.
It not easy getting the bike out from where it lives and I’m not sure I could do it easily.
If only it was a bit smaller and 30-40kg lighter. There’s nothing in the pipe line for a 600/650 version is there?

I need to grow a bit and get stronger but at the wrong side of 50 I can see that happening, this is going to take some thinking about ��������

Im the wrong side of 50 and ride a 1200gs with an ultra low seat, once you get used to it it's fine

And I'm the wrong side of 60, 5ft 6inches and 60kg and managed a std 750GS with the low seat OK and find my lowered 1250gs even easier to manage. As Santa says, you will get used to it although the lower seat will make a big difference but the "top-heaviness" of the 750 will still be there. I am with you though as to why manufacturers can make sub 200kg sports bikes capable of managing 200bhp but otherwise bikes keep getting taller and heavier.

Update time.

I need to grow a bit and get stronger but at the wrong side of 50 I can see that happening, this is going to take some thinking about ��������

you need a vstrom 650.:thumb

Thanks
We are not that far apart 5’5” and 65 kg the problem is my inside leg is around 28” and I’m not very strong. I had big sports bikes years ago that were just to big and heavy like a fire blade. I only came back to biking last September after 15 years away and I bought a KTM Duke390 it fits me perfectly but I need more power and a being a single it’s very lumpy under 4500revs I fount the gs really smooth and much easier at low speed apart from being scared or should I say intimidated by it in town traffic.
I’m Going to try and get another demo with the low seat, I did think about the low suspension but the sales guy said steer clear if possible as they are hard to sell after.
I really like the bike and I want one.
I’ll let you know how I get on

Thanks
We are not that far apart 5’5” and 65 kg the problem is my inside leg is around 28” and I’m not very strong. I had big sports bikes years ago that were just to big and heavy like a fire blade. I only came back to biking last September after 15 years away and I bought a KTM Duke390 it fits me perfectly but I need more power and a being a single it’s very lumpy under 4500revs I fount the gs really smooth and much easier at low speed apart from being scared or should I say intimidated by it in town traffic.
I’m Going to try and get another demo with the low seat, I did think about the low suspension but the sales guy said steer clear if possible as they are hard to sell after.
I really like the bike and I want one.
I’ll let you know how I get on

I hate to say it, but your dealer is talking utter shite, lowered bikes are no harder to shift than normal bikes, if anything they dont hang around long at dealers!

I bought my lowered 1200 from a main dealer with 2 year warranty.

I'm 5'5" and 28" ish inside leg ok i'm a tad heavier but no beefcake.

My first 1200 was a hexhead with a std seat. in the low position, i could tipitoe it but wasnt really happy.

The factory low seat made a huge difference. and then getting 30mm lowered Wilburs made an even bigger difference-

Ive dropped it. :) twice, its not hard to pick up, it's more the fear side that makes it appear difficult

At low speed it is a big bike, but above walking speed its light as a feather. and as chuckable as a 125 ;)

I'm on my second now, it took some working out, as it now requires an ultra low seat, but again no different or difficult to ride than the one it replaced.

Buy the bike you want! not the one the dealer can do the best deal (get the most commision on) .

if needs be, try all the bikes you want, with the configuration you want (low seat etc) . If the dealer wont play ball, walk away. go to a dealer who will help you.

Back
Top Bottom