Newcastle - Amsterdam Suspension Extended

Grizzly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got an email last night to let me know the DFDS crossing to Netherlands had extended the suspension of sailings up to, and including, the 3rd June:blast - we were booked outbound for the 3rd June.

We half expected this - we've been advised we can re-book for sailings from 4th June onwards:rolleyes: - not sure it's worth the bother/risk until it becomes a bit clearer how much Europe will open up again in near future - especially for travel and accommodation etc.

Also noticed on the DFDS booking website that prices for 4th June onwards were way higher even though bookings must be very low at the moment - a sign of things to come I think?

Cheers.....................Grizzly:beerjug:

Just got an email last night to let me know the DFDS crossing to Netherlands had extended the suspension of sailings up to, and including, the 3rd June:blast - we were booked outbound for the 3rd June.

We half expected this - we've been advised we can re-book for sailings from 4th June onwards:rolleyes: - not sure it's worth the bother/risk until it becomes a bit clearer how much Europe will open up again in near future - especially for travel and accommodation etc.

Also noticed on the DFDS booking website that prices for 4th June onwards were way higher even though bookings must be very low at the moment - a sign of things to come I think?

I think Borders are closed, except for essential travel

Afraid I've written this summer off as far as European travel is concerned. It's just not going to happen.

I would guess that leisure/tourist hotels and accommodations will be among the last to resume normal

Aye scrap this years trips,
If it lifts, plenty roads in Auld Alba tae tank roon

Aye scrap this years trips,
If it lifts, plenty roads in Auld Alba tae tank roon

Just now reading an analysis that says exactly that....there will be a boom in domestic holiday making, and not in the major towns, but in the country. The lack of euoropean motorhomes will be more than compensated for by UK ones! Whoopee! Fine as long as they buy stuff here rather than bring it all with them!

You and I are lucky because we can wheel the bike out of the garage and all the good stuff is on our doorstep!

Mind you judging by the noise off the A93 in the last few days of sun, there must be a lot of essential travel up and down!

We were booked to sail on the 8th, we had booked in december with a deposit only, balance was due in March but Ive being putting them off due to Covid etc, finally they sent me another balance reminder and I told them to cancel and I would not be paying the balance under the circumstances, to cut a long story short now have a voucher to value of the deposit (£70) which I may use next year.
Somehow I doubt very much we will get to go touring around Scotland anytime soon either.

Afraid I've written this summer off as far as European travel is concerned. It's just not going to happen.

I would guess that leisure/tourist hotels and accommodations will be among the last to resume normal

Think your probably right - but still keep hoping it eases off a bit sooner.

Can't get too excited about touring in Scotland these days - roads are in crap condition and getting worse, accommodation is way overpriced (especially Skye:hide) and it's generally all too busy these days.
It's fine for short breaks and out of season to fill-in between bigger trips:thumb
But if that's all we can do this year then we're stuck with it.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Bought a campervan last year and booked for Misano this year as our first trip!

F***; don't think it's happening now!

Shit!

No MotoGP races for spectators I believe - that's four I'll miss!!!!

Not a happy camper!

First decent day after travel restrictions are removed I'm offski oop north for about a week, I've got a shit load of wild camping spots I have my beady eye on, will require some slightly illegal riding but hey ho.

I've just spoken to my mate who has a wee hotel in Germany. He has no idea when he will be open for business or what measures will be in place

Hi George, just to test the water, I put in two dates in Sepember with the same car details and same Commodore suite as last year and the quote I got was roughly a £300 increase on what I paid in 2019. Ouch

Hi George, just to test the water, I put in two dates in Sepember with the same car details and same Commodore suite as last year and the quote I got was roughly a £300 increase on what I paid in 2019. Ouch

Yep Ronnie, thats what I was finding.
We were due to sail out on 3rd june and back on 30th June. It's now cancelled up to 3rd so I just moved dates back a few days each end to check prices and our usual package - bike, 2 people and inside cabin was up over a £100.

I suspected very little would be opened up in Europe any time soon but I was just curious to see how DFDS prices were looking post-Covid19 and it doesn't look great:rolleyes:

As others have said, this year is probably a write-off - but we live in hope:bow

DFDS have now extended the cancelation of the Newcastle-Amsterdam ferry until the 17th June.
I know everybody's possibly written off this year - so it's just for information purposes:rolleyes:

Cheers................Grizzly:beerjug:

Think your probably right - but still keep hoping it eases off a bit sooner.

Can't get too excited about touring in Scotland these days - roads are in crap condition and getting worse, accommodation is way overpriced (especially Skye:hide) and it's generally all too busy these days.
It's fine for short breaks and out of season to fill-in between bigger trips:thumb
But if that's all we can do this year then we're stuck with it.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

There are still some brilliant roads Up north George and that's avoiding the shit show that is the NW500. As for Skye being expensive i could'nt agree more, it's actually embarrassing.

There are still some brilliant roads Up north George and that's avoiding the shit show that is the NW500. As for Skye being expensive i could'nt agree more, it's actually embarrassing.

Hi Rab,
Your right, and I'm still all around Scotland when I can - even sections of the NW500:eek: I still love and enjoy Scotland and my post was really a bit tongue-in-cheek, but, compared to years ago:rob it really is too busy - and accommodation prices in general are crazy for what you get?
As we all know, the roads are in fairly poor condition and after Covid-19 costs there's even less chance of improvement?

When we're away in the summer these days it's usually for a month and you can plan a decent trip in Europe with that timescale:thumb

Cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

Remember the days when Glencoe was only busy during July and August, it's heaving in February nowadays. As for the NC500, I almost cry when I see how busy that is now compared to years ago, that's progress I suppose.

Remember the days when Glencoe was only busy during July and August, it's heaving in February nowadays. As for the NC500, I almost cry when I see how busy that is now compared to years ago, that's progress I suppose.

I guess the B and B owners and the shopkeepers have a different opinion

Back
Top Bottom