Alternatives for an Arai shaped head?

Tricuspid

Reaction score
I seem to have an Arai shaped head, at least every time I go to buy a helmet I end up with an Arai. That’s not a problem for me as it’s generally good kit, but I’m wondering about alternatives. Only non Arai I’ve ever had was a Shoei TXR 20 years ago.

When I bought my last helmet I tried on various things - Bell, AGV, Caberg - nothing fitted like the Arai, they all seemed right at the front and back and loose at the sides, suggesting I have an oval shaped head.

However, Arai is one of the top selling brands so I can’t believe they are only made to fit mutants, so why does nothing else fit? Anyone else find the same?

I was always an Arai kinda guy, until I went Shoei NXR a few years back as I preferred their graphics at the time. Next I fancy a GT Air2, but the flip down sun shade means a reduced safety rating. Still, it looks like a decision that can be deferred until we are released into a post Covid-19 Utopia.

Frankly though, it's a decision only you can make & whether your conclusion will be driven by looks, cost, comfort/fit or safety test results remains a uniquely personal thing IMHO.

Just make sure you ignore the sales patter gently massaging the price-point upwards - oh sorry, what was I thinking; just noticed you are north of the border.

I have a Shoei shaped head. Tried / bought other brands, always returned to Shoei, sometimes after very little use. Expensive

If "nothing fits like an Arai", then stick with Arai

i've had Bell,Griffin,Simpson....tried an Arai , fitted perfectly , never had anything since , from '85 onwards. they just work.

Shoei helmets will provide different internal pads for different shaped heads but you need to go to a bike shop that carries the said pads. Recently bought a Shoei from Motolegends. They do a full head measuring and fitting service and carry all the different sized pads in stock - no extra charge and the helmet was the same price as Sports bike shop.
It’s a bit far for you to go :D but maybe there’s a shop that provides the same service in Scotland.
:beerjug:

Proactive Frenology.

Terry Pratchett said that if the character of a person could be determined by the lumps on their head, then it could be modified with a hammer.

I have a Shoei shaped head. Tried / bought other brands, always returned to Shoei, sometimes after very little use. Expensive

If "nothing fits like an Arai", then stick with Arai

+1. I won't buy an Arai because they don't make flip helmets.

So in my case - If "nothing fits like an Shoei", then stick with Shoei.

Look at Nolan. Their quality far outweighs their cost. I was always an Arai man but now on my second X551 and have also bought an N87 which is unbelievable value.

Shoei helmets will provide different internal pads for different shaped heads but you need to go to a bike shop that carries the said pads. Recently bought a Shoei from Motolegends. They do a full head measuring and fitting service and carry all the different sized pads in stock - no extra charge and the helmet was the same price as Sports bike shop.
It’s a bit far for you to go :D but maybe there’s a shop that provides the same service in Scotland.
:beerjug:

This
There is a video somewhere busting the myth of aria Vs Shoei shaped heads that basically just explains that the makers use different pads and that if you pad the helmet correctly a shoei can be made to fit just like an Array and vice versa

+1. I won't buy an Arai because they don't make flip helmets.

So in my case - If "nothing fits like an Shoei", then stick with Shoei.

Arai refuse to make a flip up as they claim it compromises the safety and to some extent they might have a point if you think about it as the hinged section has to be weaker than a fixed

You would think in this day and age your head could be scanned and the internals of the helmet replicated for a perfect fit.
They do it with teeth...

Sent from my Eriba Triton 1978

You would think in this day and age your head could be scanned and the internals of the helmet replicated for a perfect fit.
They do it with teeth...

Exactly!

I, too, have an oval shaped head and usually have to shave the forehead liner to get it to fit and I an still get my hands between the sides and my ears!
I like flip helmets and used to use Roof but now use Shark.

I've always had an "Arai head" and couldn't find another brand to fit as well, tried various Shoei helmets. 3 years ago tried on and bought a Shoei Neotec and I have to say it fits brilliantly, but so does my Arai RX7GP. Maybe my head has changed shape over the years!

They do it with teeth...

They can and do for F1 drivers but it is unique to Bell Helmets in the USA and quite possibly why F1 drivers seem to mostly wear Bell helmets

I have been making enquiries on a yearly basis as to when it will get to the UK but so far no answer

Have a look here https://www.webbikeworld.com/bell-star-custom-fit-helmet/

I've always found that Arai seem to fit me best for some reason. Can't get on with Shoei or AGV at all. I also have a Nexx helmet which is the closest comfort fit for me to Arai. I also use a Schubert C3 pro as I wanted a flip helmet, I find this a bit uncomfortable after a few hours riding but I'm persevering with it. I guess we've all got different bumps and lumps on our head so it's personal choice :thumb

Back
Top Bottom