Belfast - Dublin - Kinsale

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance and advice, all very much appreciated.

I will now looking at some guidebooks to see what ‘attractions’ might lie between Belfast, Dublin, Wexford and Kinsale. I don’t want to include everything that’s possible (always a danger) but just pick out a small few to break up or add to the whole jaunt. Whatever I do create I’ll share it here to hopefully get some more useful criticism of it and then tweak it again.

Richard

That area is known as the Copper Coast and you will see old mines dotted along the route. As TK says it offers a fine ride topped off with a stop in Bunmahon for an ice-cream.
For anyone in the area, check out the magic road.
GPS COORDINATES: 52.215811,-7.529755
Watch out for the fairies :aidan

My take - some previous suggestions accord with my personal prejudices.
A24 Newcastle
A2 Warrenpoint
Ferry Omeath
R123 Carlingford
R175 Dundalk
R132 Casleebellingham
R166 Termonfeckin
R167 Baltray / Drogheda
R108 St Margarets
M50 (Dublin)
R115 Sally Gap / Laragh
R756 Wicklow Gap / Hollywood
N80 / 81 Tullow / Bunclody
R741 Kiltealy
R702 Scullogue Gap
R703 Graiguemanagh
R729 New ross
R733 Arthurstown
ferry Passage East
R685 Tramore
R675 Dungarvan
N72 Lismore
R668 (The Vee) Clougheen
R665 Mitchelstown
R639 Cork
R600 Kinsale

Yes there are compromises here - you can't hit everything but that is my take.
Speaking of take - @ least 2 days, better still 3. :rob

O K - I'm bored & am condemned to doing virtual journeys.
A bit shy of 400 miles - 10 - 12 hours with minimal stops.
2 long days give a bit of time to stand & stare.
Do enjoy - I have in reality many times & hope to do so again. :beerjug:

Attachments

• B - K.png
    B - K.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 150
Excellent, thank you.

My Green Michelin Guide to Ireland has turned up, along with the DVD of Fergal Keane’s History of Ireland from the BBC. Plenty to keep me going.

Feck, there’s a lot to see and do....

2c5b6785bf78953624c6de480720df69.jpg

As regards the time taken Belfast > Kinsale via wherever, I see no point in rushing it unless you have to.

Belfast - Newry via A1 is boring dual carriageway. If time permits, travel Belfast - Newcastle via A24, then A2 to Newry. This takes in the Mourne Mountains coastal route, very scenic. Good chippies and ice-creams in Newcastle too :thumb2

Beat me to it, as I was going to suggest something similar.

Maybe another thought to cut out some of the main road (A1)

If you do the above suggestion, turn left at the canal and head out of Newry along the Omeath Rd to Carlingford then back towards Drogheda

Just my tuppence worth :cool:

Enjoy your tour
Some great suggestions. I have ridden lots, and many like the Copper Coast, I have yet to visit.
My 2 cents would be to bypass Dublin.
Woah, don't all stone me!
Born and bred here, just my opinion.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

A ride through Dublin on say a Sunday morning is pleasant, with time to take in the elegance of the old architecture, but in "normal" traffic, not much fun....

Pass through Dublin... but maybe don't park your bike anywhere out of sight... born & bred here too (albeit in the 'burbs), but a fact's a fact...

If modern military history is of interest then South Armagh “Bandit Country” is worth a visit.

The roads are great too.

There the infamous Crossmaglen, Forkill, Newtownhamilton, Bessbrook “Box”

You can see where the old observation towers were, the 3 Steps where Robert Nirac went missing, IRA memorial at Fords Cross, Cullyhanna gun club, etc etc.

Fascinating stuff and great roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If modern military history is of interest then South Armagh “Bandit Country” is worth a visit.

The roads are great too.

There the infamous Crossmaglen, Forkill, Newtownhamilton, Bessbrook “Box”

You can see where the old observation towers were, the 3 Steps where Robert Nirac went missing, IRA memorial at Fords Cross, Cullyhanna gun club, etc etc.

Fascinating stuff and great roads.

And all within a few miles of my home.

You will be more than welcome to a guided tour if you want Richard.

Back
Top Bottom