Belfast - Dublin - Kinsale

Wapping

Reaction score
I am looking to create a loop of Ireland route that joins Belfast to Dublin to Kinsale. This, when added to the Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route, will complete the loop. What I have tried to do is use non-motorway roads but not every little goat track and left, right, left, left, left, right right roads across the country. In short, something rideable and reasonably enjoyable enough for a bod of unknown but reasonably average riding ability on a GS or on a FireBlade.

So far I have come up with:

Belfast

A1 Newry

A29 / R177 Dundalk

R132 Drogheda

R108 / R122 / N2 Dublin

N81 / R114 / N81 / R726 Carlow

R448 Thomastown

R448 / R669 / R699 / R701 / R697 Carrick-on-Suir

R676 / N25 / N72 / R666 Fermoy

R639 / R616 / R615 / N27 Cork

N27 / R600 Kinsale

That is about 300 miles, which looks reasonable enough.

I have assumed that a visitor to the Republic would always want to see the capital, Dublin.

I do though wonder if I should make the route go: Belfast > Dublin > Wexford (to complete the bottom SE corner) > Waterford > Cork > Kinsale? Which looks to me like a better circle of the island, when added to the Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route.

Thank you for any suggestions as to where I have fecked up and missed the bleedin’ obvious.

Sláinte!

Richard

I created something similar last year. We ended up going to Scotland instead, but had been considering doing a loop of Ireland this year... :blast

IME, not all east/south east coastal roads are particularly exciting to ride, pass through quite a few towns, and don't all feature the type of scenery that makes dull roads worth it. Another more local Tosser may offer a contrary suggestion, but I brought my route inland a bit, to include the Sally Gap / Wicklow Gap, and The Vee - fabulous roads.

I can email you my gpx files if you like.

The green route on the west is basically the WAW that everyone knows, but IIRC, I included a little spin through the ford at Bunlahinch clapper bridge.

The red route is what I came up with (poaching some sections from various www sources) - I've ridden or driven maybe 50%-60% of these roads over the years.

Ireland Loop.jpg

Thank you. I will PM you my email address.

I notice that you too missed out Wexford and Waterford? Was this due to time available or just because you had ‘done them’ or because they are just not worth visiting for the casual tourist?

It all depends on what you want to see and the time available. Wexford Waterford and Kilkenny are wonderful medieval cities and Wexford is a town. All with very interesting Viking and Cromwell history. It might be worthwhile using motorways to bypass some areas and R roads most of which have a 80 kmh speed limit. JJH

Thank you.

I have been looking at Waterford and Wexford on Google. Certainly interesting enough places. I’ll put them in.

I don’t think time taken is of an issue. I hoped to create it as much as anything else as an idea on how to make a loop of the island, not dissimilar to the loops I rode around France and Germany on. I can always see a value in hopping on a motorway to cut bits out or if time constraints mean that distances A to B to C have to be reduced. Only the very stubborn refuse to touch faster roads in favour of buggering around all day.

From Waterford I'd suggest heading to Tramore and following the coast to Dungarvan. Real roller coaster ride with fabulous sea views.

From Waterford I'd suggest heading to Tramore and following the coast to Dungarvan. Real roller coaster ride with fabulous sea views.

That area is known as the Copper Coast and you will see old mines dotted along the route. As TK says it offers a fine ride topped off with a stop in Bunmahon for an ice-cream.

I have a couple of comments that might be of interest:

No point going via Fermoy.
And if you do .. just take the motorway to skirt Cork quickly via the tunnel and south ring road - unless you plan to stay in Cork of course. (1€ toll - I know it's the principle! ) .

N25 N72 around Dungarvan is mundane main road. I've heard R666 (Lismore - Fermoy) recommended but I can't understand why. It does look good on a map.

So my suggestion - and not the first time I recommended: Clonmel- Lismore - Tallow -Midleton
If you visit Copper Coast you could still include Lismore-Tallow-Midleton. Unremarkable country road but a very pleasant ride. Much better than Fermoy-Cork and avoids suburban congestion.
Worth looking at Lismore Castle from the river-bank location along the way. (Earl of Devonshire's gaff I think.)

Dungarvan is well worth a visit. Lovely town square with pubs dotted around it. Old English garrison town with a harbour.

You’ve got to call into the Waterford Crystal visitor centre if you’re down that way. Fantastically impressive place! :thumb2

I did a detour on my way back from the Kinsale peninsula after dropping off a huge septic tank on a low loader.

Belfast - Newry via A1 is boring dual carriageway. If time permits, travel Belfast - Newcastle via A24, then A2 to Newry. This takes in the Mourne Mountains coastal route, very scenic. Good chippies and ice-creams in Newcastle too :thumb2

Good shout Arthur. :thumb2

After Newcastle head for the Carlingford Ferry which will take you across Carlingford Lough and deposit you safely on the Cooley peninsula missing Newry altogether.

If you are landing in Belfast i would go anti-clockwise round the Island. In your original post you mentioned the Causeway Coast but you mention in your list of places Belfast then Newry which takes you south so you would be missing the best road in the best direction.

If you are landing in Dublin then i would still do the Island in an anti-clockwise direction.

I would have a look at the miles you think you will be doing . You mention 300 miles however I would think it is something in excess of twice that figure.

Pansmiker, thank you for your post. A slight misunderstanding, I simply wanted a check a way to join Belfast to Kinsale, in a southerly direction, which I make to be 300 miles in the route in the opening post. It’ll change a bit when I add in Wexford.

Interesting that you suggest doing the combined Causeway / WAW anti-clockwise, irrespective of whether you land in Belfast or Dublin. I have a completely open mind on it. I guess that if I landed in Belfast, I might want to get straight on with it, so anti-clockwise. Dublin, is between a rock and a hard place in relation to both routes but other bods seem to suggest keeping the sea on your left, ie clockwise.

Back
Top Bottom