Nav 5 Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxpayer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just bought a 2nd hand version, to fit my GS TE 1200 14plate. I would like to know is it better to reset/return to factory settings for a clean start, or trawl through & reset individual things as I go along.comments & advice would be helpful.

Btw I have looked on YouTube & looked in various posts, & printed off the owners manual which is daunting!!! There is a micro sd card 2gb inside & appears to have the previous owners data visible on the device. Thanks Phil.

Hello all, I have just bought a 2nd hand version, to fit my GS TE 1200 14plate. I would like to know is it better to reset/return to factory settings for a clean start, or trawl through & reset individual things as I go along.comments & advice would be helpful.

Btw I have looked on YouTube & looked in various posts, & printed off the owners manual which is daunting!!! There is a micro sd card 2gb inside & appears to have the previous owners data visible on the device. Thanks Phil.

Personally I would do a factory reset and start from there. Most defaults are ok for most users then you can change settings to your likens as you learn.

Ian

Advice

Thanks for replies, it seems a factory reset is required. Please can someone advise how to do this or where to find it, cheers.

In this order:

1. Charge the device fully.

2. Ditch the previous owner’s sd card in the bin.

3. Restore the factory settings. There are two ways, here’s how:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sc8VPJkZsA8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I find the second way the most reliable.

4. Put a brand new, decent quality sd card into the slot. 8gb will be fine, unless you intend to load a heap of music or a shed load of Open Street maps. Don’t use some shonky old card or cheap crap off eBay.

5. Update the device’s software and / or firmware, using Garmin Express.

6. Update the device’s maps, using Garmin Express.

7. Install the latest maps onto your home computer whilst you are at it.

Job done.

Sometimes even a full factory reset does not remove all the previous owner’s old tat. If you find it does not, return here.

Why charge the device first? The software / firmware update(s) - there may be more than one - may require you to unplug the device from your PC and restart it. You will not be able to restart it if it is flat. A big software / firmware update might require a couple of restarts, just follow the instructions on the device’s screen and / or on your PC.

Then get used to using BaseCamp. It’s not that hard. You will then be able to exploit all the truly wonderful things your Navigator V can do.

I have done a successful factory reset but awaiting a new 32gb micro SD card previously ordered & installed Garmin express before I I can continue. Thanks Wapping

2Gb memory card, hell was the previous owner a miser ;)

Garmin's website will list the max size card you can use.

A 32gb Sandisk card is about a tenner these days

buy big , buy once :)

And then listen to Wapping :)

I'm at work now but card due today so will update both maps & software. Btw will the 32gb need anything doing before I instal Many thanks to all helpers 👍

The card (assuming it’s a decent quality one) should be fine, straight out of the packet.

Well updated software & maps & transferred copy to laptop. Had a problem with wonder wheel but Wd 40 fixed it. Will investigate Basecamp later but many thanks to all especially Wapping 👍

The card (assuming it’s a decent quality one) should be fine, straight out of the packet.

No it wont ;)

any SD card over 16gb will be formatted Exfat, so will require formatting to Fat32 and MS no longer supports formatting Fat32 lol

so you need a 3rd party app to do this

Garmin really needs to come to the party on this one lol

In recent years, memory cards have gained more storage capacity; 4GB and above. The file format FAT32 is now commonly used in memory cards between 4GB and 32GB.

As a storage device.... SD cards of larger capacities usually use a format that differs from the cards of smaller capacities by default:

SD (micro SD): 128MB - 2GB, FAT16 (default format)
SDHC (SD High Capacity): 4GB - 32GB, FAT32 (default format)
SDXC (SD Extended Capacity): 64GB - 2TB, exFAT (default format)
SDUC (SD Ultra Capacity): 2TB - 128TB, exFAT (default format)

:beerjug:

But hey, that’s just me. Let’s ask the ‘hands on’ OP....

Did your spanking new 32GB card work straight out of the packet or did you have to reformat it to FAT32 first? The entire future of civilisation hangs by your answer.

Did your spanking new 32GB card work straight out of the packet or did you have to reformat it to FAT32 first? The entire future of civilisation hangs by your answer.

Exfat, I only found out, when i plugged it into Garmin express, and it couldn't mount the drive, and kept asking to correct the drive

I put the card into a reader and it was Exfat - formatted via Easus partition maker and back in to the Nav Vi and Garmin express was fine

I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise ;)

Happy to have saved the day again :bow

May be in your world :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom