Michelin Green Guide to Ireland

Wapping

Reaction score
The guide arrived this morning, via the Amazon.

As is common with all their guides, it really is very good. It breaks down the entire island into easily managed areas. Within them it gives things to see and do (including walking jaunts) and suggested driving routes to join them all up. Are they the ‘best’ roads for a motorcycle rider? Maybe yes, maybe no but that is not the book’s chief purpose. That being said, it is noticeable that several of the suggested roads do match exactly the ones suggested in other threads and / or in the Irish section.

It also gives an easy to digest potted history of ‘Ireland’s story’ with bits on the climate (“What will the weather be like, mate?") and other snippets of possible interest dotted about in the book, relevant to the area. For example, I never knew that the first woman ever elected to the Houses of Parliament was also a staunch Republican (unlike her estranged husband) who never took her seat.... echoes of today or maybe there is nothing new under the sun.

For the price of three pints of London Pride, it’s worth the investment. It will certainly last longer.

b3ea2f3ff1e6bdfedfff9e0c78033a22.jpg

fb9a605c987ecef62c936cbb3436c7dc.jpg

I should have been in Ireland this week ... my first big solo trip. Bollocks, I shall console myself by buying a copy of this and refining my plans for next year. Cheers

I can’t say that I was surprised by the quality of the book, simply as I have always been pleased with Michelin’s regional books for France and their countrywide publications for Spain, Italy and Germany. They are a company that has never altered the way that their guidebooks (or indeed their maps) are set out. In short, they have never been ‘mucked about’ in an attempt to ‘improve’ them. Clear, concise and interesting, is how I’d describe them.

The Michelin green guide app (it is still free) also works well on an iPhone and iPad. It, along with its sister app (also free) will give anyone a no cost set of maps, along with things to see and do for nothing.

33220ee18b91f77e93b84b70b9ca3c62.plist

ca244aabe8f5baa228004a0b6899dd5f.plist

All recommended.

I agree , Michelin’s make the best maps, I never go to Europe without a detailed Michelin map for the area. the nav is great to get you there and back, but much prefer planning off the map when there.

I don't care what anyone else says Wapping. I like you. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom