The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland book - J.G. Fergusson

Another thing the Kurviger app did was to include into a route something that was not actually active. In the 01 route there is an optional excursion to see a site. This is a separate route, coloured green. On my Mac the little excursion route is shown but its not bold ie. it's not active. Similarly, if I wanted to ride it, I'd have to import it into my Garmin GPS device and run it separately. Kurviger clearly sees the data that the non-active route brings with it and blends it into the main route.

0fad31a31dfa83bd45c36aa3efeeac89.jpg

It's in the top north west corner, where it says Firth of Clyde in the Garmin version, marked by the camera. Had the green route been active, it would have stood out bold, like the magenta line.

Just imported the 4 day route into TomTom Go app on smartphone and it shows the routes as AM/PM :D

Just need to check it reproduces what you did in basecamp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 19.29.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 19.29.49.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 263
Just imported the 4 day route into TomTom Go app on smartphone and it shows the routes as AM/PM :D

Just need to check it reproduces what you did in basecamp

Pleased to say that (without checking) that looks pretty good. The book breaks down the four days into eight sections, one morning and one afternoon ride for each day. I simply copied the eight, just as the author set them out, numbering and naming each as appropriate. TomTom has labelled then accordingly by the look of it.

Interesting that you use the TomTom Go app. I will give it a whirl.

Out of curiosity I just uploaded th entire list to the BMW Connected app, it looks like it worked.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200608_222033_com.bmw.ConnectedRide.jpg
    Screenshot_20200608_222033_com.bmw.ConnectedRide.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot_20200608_222118_com.bmw.ConnectedRide.jpg
    Screenshot_20200608_222118_com.bmw.ConnectedRide.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 254
With some quick assistance from Malcopopolo (thank you for that) I have got a route from my Mac into my iPhone and displayed using TomTom’s ‘My Route’ app.

20528d485b2d212579fb5ed206462f75.png

Unlike an app like Kurviger (excellent as it is) the My Drive app does not - as far as I can see from a quick look - tamper with the route. In short, it should run it perfectly.

Will I be ditching my Garmin / BaseCamp / Open Street Map? Not for a while, not least as TomTom do not offer a device that will fit in the bespoke space on my 1600. But as a back up on my phone, it should be excellent.

Just got a new iMac , I've never seen Apple doing 0% over 4 years finance before so finally replaced the 10yr old Mac that's still running OSX 10.6. So ive just downloaded basecamp for the first time ever and imported one of the routes. Excellent stuff , thanks :bow:thumb2

I need to get my head around Basecamp now, for some reason the online tutorial links have been removed :(

Thre's plenty of good advice and links in the GPS section. It's not the monster some would have you believe.

Just got a new iMac
‘Twas the change to a MacBook that forced the change to BC for me too. There’s some short / easy to follow stuff on YouTube that helped greatly.
As the Wapping fella says “try it, you can’t break it” ;)

Enjoy your holiday, courtesy of J.Fergusson (and a little bit from me)

Thanks for the gpx work, Wapping. You're doing my job for me - and I'm grateful. And thanks for the kind words about the book that folk have written on this site. I owe a few of you a pint.

John (Fergusson)

John, I got a copy of your book on the recommendation of a few on this site, very good it is too. Thank you Wapping for the GPX files.

I bought the book too.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I’ve never had so many chuckles for a long time.

Scotland’s a small country. I live right in the middle so reckon all the roads in this thread and The Book are simply my own private playground, especially when I can’t go abroad for a longer ride.

Ignoring the fact that Scotland is totally fucked right now due to overcrowding and disgustingly filthy tourists of all kinds from everywhere, home and away, it’s really not as hard as is being suggested to get from A to B to C. Or maybe even take a wee diversion to D along the way before eventually getting to C for your overnight bunk. You can’t get lost. Especially up north on a single track road.

Yer over eggin’ it all folks. K.I.S.S. every time.

Over several years I’ve come to enjoy planning my trips, short or long, using a good old fashioned bolt on bike GPS and wrestling with Basecamp to achieve the goal. Mr Wapping and others on the GPS threads have been a fount of much knowledge and I’m not so much “wrestling” with Basecamp these days as simply treading carefully and methodically.

One throw away tip I found useful - never, ever, ever update your device with new maps or software the day before you travel.

I also really enjoyed the book and think the author is a top bloke. One great tip, if your too stupid to use a map, don't even attempt to use a sat nav.

.....and I’m not so much “wrestling” with Basecamp these days as simply treading carefully and methodically.

That's the way to do it.

One throw away tip I found useful - never, ever, ever update your device with new maps or software the day before you travel.

Indeed and add in...... always check everthing before you leave the comfort of your home computer. Mending tings on the go is not always straightforward.

As to the rest? You are spot on, from what I saw on my ventures northwards last year.

Now then ..... how about a similar book for Wales?

Currently out of stock web-wide it seem, been hoping these would return before my departure. Oficial Tarmap website suggesting stock arriving and will be fulfilled on or after the 9th of September 2020.

Really would love to get hold of a copy by Friday the 11th of September. If anybody has one they no longer need and willing to part with it, Then please PM me with your option.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom