Schefflemaier oil cooler

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
However you spell the 'insert many cursing words here' thing!

Oil drained, tank drained, oil filter housing off, the old filter is jammed solid into the housing/cooler thing. No, I don't have a standard cover I can put the filter in with.

Is it a permemnant filter does anyone know? Or is it a special way to get the filter out? Or do you think someone before me has used the wrong filter and it is simply jammed on over the oilway stub?

I have left it in bits on the drive and thrown a trantrum at it, but it still didn't come off. I have tried gripping the flange with pliers, it is well and truly stuck fast. There is something holding it in, it is a far cry from the simple, take out old filter canister, pop new one on and do up the cover.... :blast

It's the same filter as standard, as far as I know.

I had one on my F650.
It was held on the casing with the three OE bolts.
Inside is an 'extending shaft' - just a push fit onto which a standard filter fits
There is a recessed drain Allen key 'bolt' underneath the cooling 'fins' which you need to open to drain the oil within the oil cooler itself.
Never had to use force.

Turns out the wrong filter was fitted. It was filtering OK, but was a little bigger in circumference, so was jammed in tight to the recess at the bottom of the cooler can. A heat gun on the bottom of the cooler expanded it enough so it just fell out. I couldn't shift it with leverage or pliers... not enough Weetabix.

All sorted and the correct filter installed. Oil level at top of the hash markings when screwed in, there is still oil on the dipstick when left resting on the lip, so all dandy.

Turns out the wrong filter was fitted.
Ahhhhh one of those D'Oh moments - bless!

but...
"Oil level at top of the hash markings when screwed in, there is still oil on the dipstick when left resting on the lip.
If you are talking about a F650 Dakar (old school) then the oil, when HOT- should be at centre of view window aka lower half full.
Can't fathom which moto you have

X Country and a X Challenege.... if I could see the oil level there would be a big problem. :aidan

Attachments

• DSCN9517.jpg
    DSCN9517.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 195

Back
Top Bottom