Skip waypoint function

Jersey_GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cut from a parallel thread, as the answer might come quicker....

Richard

A quick question.....is there a skip feature (skipping a waypoint) on the new XT device. Am i correct in thinking that Garmin have removed it on the XT?

I did a Google search and cant find anything about skipping a waypoint relating to an XT other than the unhelpful answer from GPScity below.

https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=78082

The short answer is 'Yes'.

View attachment 448741

---------------------------------------------

View attachment 448742 View attachment 448743

The long answer is more precise:

Waypoints as such do not necessarily form part of a route, although they can be added and be made into Via Points (alerting) or Shaping points (non alerting).

But there is a Skip facility which allows the skipping of any route point that forms part of the currently active route - whether they are Shaping or Via points.

There are two ways to Skip a route point on the XT.

1) Skip Button. The navigation screen on the right hand side has two buttons on display permanently. One is the skip button. This is also the side of the screen that displays things like media player, route data, traffic, weather, turns ahead etc. If you have one of these displays open, you have to close it (click cross in bottom right hand corner, which makes the skip button visible.

Pressing the skip button then displays a check - eg Skip Hunters Quay, Argyll ? - Click 'Yes' and the Zumo removes the next route point and calculates a new route to the next route point. Having the name displayed is really useful, but that confirmation check can be turned off, in which case it does the same thing but without displaying the confirmation screen, or letting you know which point it has just deleted.

By 'route point' I mean that it seems to treat Shaping Points and Via Points exactly the same for this function.

2) Edit Route. Click the 3 dot menu in the bottom right corner of the screen. This is the screen that allows you to choose which items to display down the right hand side (traffic, weather, trip data etc). At the top are 3 large buttons. Stop, Edit Route and Mute.

Edit Route allows changes to be made to the current active route, and the first two items in the list of options are
'Skip Next Destination' by which it means 'Via Point'
'Skip Next Shaping Point'
In both cases, the name allocated to the route point is also displayed, but there is no indication as to which of the two is the next on the route.

Suppose you have 3 shaping points ahead, a Via Point and another Shaping Point. And these are conveniently named S1, S2, S3, V4, and S5.

The Zumo will give options
* Skip Next Destination - V4 ?
* Skip Next Shaping Point - S1

If you choose to skip S1, the same happens as in the previous example.
If you choose to skip V4 - that is way down the road, and isn't going to affect the route at present. Nevertheless, the Zumo will go away for a little while as it removes V4 from the route and calculates a new route between its two adjacent route points - S3 and S5.

I am not sure how useful this last option is, unless the route points are sensibly named**. But maybe something will occur to me.

**nb You cannot sensibly name anything except a Waypoint. Waypoints can be used in the route and made into Shaping Points or Via Points, but only the ones that started life as a Waypoint will have their new name recognised by the Zumo.

Attachments

• 45561.png
    45561.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 828
  • 120630.png
    120630.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 767
  • 121239.png
    121239.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 761
There are another two ways to Skip a route point on the XT.

3) Auto Skipping a Shaping Point.

You don't have to do anything for this. Just ignore the nagging voice until you eventually rejoin the magenta line after the missed point. If recalculate is turned on, the magenta line and instructions will be taking you back to the missed point. If it is turned off, the unit goes silent and the original route stays where it is until you get back on to the route.

This is really useful for putting in a possible coffee stop into the route. You can choose to flow the guidance ot get to the café, or ignore it and carry on the road, knowing that you will pick up the route further along. Especially if you have put in another route point to rejoin the route after a stop. (I make this one a Via Point, then if I have to restart the Zumo, I can choose it as the next destination. If you create that as a Waypoint first, you can name it anything you like to be displayed on the Zumo screen).

4) Auto Skipping Via Points.

This feature was introduced with the 595, and it has continued into the XT. If you do not want to visit a Via Point, then just like the Shaping Point, you can ignore it on the Zumo XT. It will continue to navigate you towards it (that is its job, after all), but the second time that you ignore the instructions it will display a message on the screen.

View attachment 448844

If you say Yes - the Via Point is skipped. If you ignore it, or can't press 'Yes' before it disappears off the screen, it will try another 2 attempts to redirect you. Ignore those and the same thing happens again.
If you choose 'No', from my brief experiments, you do not get another shot at this - it will continue to nag you forever, and the only way to stop this is to manually skip the point, as described in 1) or 2) above.

If you happen to touch - don't show me this again, there are no prizes for guessing what happens. To turn the feature back on, head to Settings -> Map & Vehicle.

Attachments

• 119436.png
    119436.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 776

Back
Top Bottom