Something a bit different in central Spain. Madrid, Zamora, Salamanca, Segovia etc

Wapping

Reaction score
The latest edition of Tourenfahrer magazine (6/20) has a suggestion for some tours much close to Madrid, Zamora, Salamanca, Segovia and Soria. It apparently takes in lots of the Spanish castle. At a total length of just under 2,500 km (1,500 miles) it might be worth a look, particularly outside of August.

182a5b65b28281af3ca0491ac98d0adc.plist

It is not yet on the Tourenfahrer downloads website https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/ but it should be reasonably soon. When it is, you’ll find it listed (along with loads of other good tour suggestions) in the column on the left.

Not showing on the map in the original post, but easily doable from Segovia is the castles at Coca and Iscar:

https://www.castles.nl/coca-castle

https://www.castles.nl/iscar-castle Like many on a hill but stunning vista as you get to the edge. On my to do again list when the ability to travel gets back to normal.

And that site looks like a castle spotters heaven.

Are you sure that's not an escher drawing!

Ha! Yes, it does look a bit like that. What I can say is that those slopes and stairs are very steep and extremely hot.

We stayed there twice for four nights each. On the first evening of the first stay I rode the bike (K1600) up to the upper car park (black car and white car in the photo). Worrying about riding it back down the very steep, very narrow hairpin bend the next morning resulted in a fitful night's sleep. From day two onwards, I used the lower car park (where the white pick-up is) and we traipsed up the slopes.

On the last morning of the second stay, as we brought all the luggage down from room to reception to check out, the nice man asked why we didn't use the lift down to the car park...

Stayed there a couple of times while watching the Catalunya MotoGP. Fantastic place.

Had a few more castle Paradores planned for this June... Check out Alarcon. I can tell you for a fact that the big suite will be vacant on the 9th & 10th June.

Only stayed the one night at Cardona, but a good base for heading up towards the Pyrenees. Much prefer the old converted buildings to the ones that have a great view eg Salamanca. But there was a festival on when I was there, and we had a ring-side seat for the fireworks.

Alarcon wow that's a fantastic one, done a few in the Picos and surrounding areas, and the standout one for me was Leon.

I've done much of that and, yeah, they are all fantastic routes, especially in spring and Autumn. They are, however some of the hottest and dryest parts of Spain in the summer months, so be sure to hydrate regularly; a Camelback is a good idea and well vented gear essential. If you go in leathers, you will regret it, not least because if stopping off to see castles, it will be very uncomfortable.

Without doubt there is much more to Spain than the Picos. Possibly the biggest difference, though, is the quality of the road surfaces. The greatest danger is if they become damp after a period of hot weather; having a completely different composite and enjoying far less periodic rain-washing than they do in the north, they can be treacherous. Even in hot weather, the "sheen" that developes due to the heat doesn't grip like the sandpaper surface of the northern roads.

On the plus side, traffic at most times of year is virtually no-existent although you do have to be mindful that local drivers are neanderthal.

I've done much of that and, yeah, they are all fantastic routes, especially in spring and Autumn. They are, however some of the hottest and dryest parts of Spain in the summer months, so be sure to hydrate regularly; a Camelback is a good idea and well vented gear essential. If you go in leathers, you will regret it, not least because if stopping off to see castles, it will be very uncomfortable.

Without doubt there is much more to Spain than the Picos. Possibly the biggest difference, though, is the quality of the road surfaces. The greatest danger is if they become damp after a period of hot weather; having a completely different composite and enjoying far less periodic rain-washing than they do in the north, they can be treacherous. Even in hot weather, the "sheen" that developes due to the heat doesn't grip like the sandpaper surface of the northern roads.

On the plus side, traffic at most times of year is virtually no-existent although you do have to be mindful that local drivers are neanderthal.

All very good advice, especially to respect the heat and dress accordingly and drink plenty of water. The road islands when wet can be like glass having not been resurfaced in twenty years, in the south at least, and most have a adverse camber just to make life interesting.

As Enginerelight says be mindful of the locals, down here only about 50% use their indicators. All that being said Spain is a fabulous country for riding a motorbike, it's so diverse. Enjoy it as there is so much to see inland.

A bit of encouraging news for those hoping to visit Spain this summer. Yesterday Spain lifted all restrictions on the frontier with Gibraltar, allowing free movement for Spanish, Gibraltar and E.U residents who are residents in Spain to cross over. The frontier was closed on the 14th of March. So hopefully the Portuguese and French frontiers will open soon, so you bods can come over. You can fly into Gib, BA are operating 4 flights a week at the moment and hopefully EasyJet flights will resume soon.

Gibraltar is a great place for a short break, it’s English speaking and the currency is the British Pound.

September Spain

Hi Guys and Gals,
So we are still hoping to get away at the end of September for an 8 day tour of Spain and Portugal, depending on Boris and Covid, fingers crossed. Definitely have a look at the Parador in Sagovia as we are staying in Sagovia for a night. I'll try and fit as many of the castles in as we can on the tour, I didn't realise Spain was so Castlecentric :)

Definitely have a look at the Parador in Sagovia as we are staying in Sagovia for a night.

The downside of the Parador in Segovia is that it's a 2 miles walk to the Alcazar or the Aqueduct, two of the top sites to see there (IMO), and almost 6 miles walking to see them both. The views from the hotel at night will be special though.

I've stayed in the Parador in Salamanca, and this has the same benefits / problem.

I'd recommend the Hotel San Antonio el Real in Segovia. It's located in a beautiful old monastery with secure parking and it's next to the end of the aqueduct :beerjug:

I'd recommend the Hotel San Antonio el Real in Segovia. It's located in a beautiful old monastery with secure parking and it's next to the end of the aqueduct :beerjug:

£12 well spent right there.. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom