Discord app

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This popped up in one of news feeds,

Apparently it's an app that was primarily used for gaming, but has seen popularity with motorcyclists rising

It get's round the incompatible comms unit when you go for a ride, as its not linked to a comms unit only a mobile phone

data usage appears to be low at about 6-8gb a month, assuming your talking non stop for that time.

If your on an unlimited data plan, your in clover

Hell even on a normal plan i doubt you could talk that much :)

It works by one user creating a chat server so to speak and inviting other users into that server

I've downloaded the app, but haven't been able to try it in real world conditions

Having that App on your phone automatically raises the interest of Law enforcement. Bit like wearing a Balaclava in a bank

Having that App on your phone automatically raises the interest of Law enforcement. Bit like wearing a Balaclava in a bank

Go on.. what revelation are you bursting to tell us,

It's one of a number of comms apps that are available for purposes like this

AFAIK Discord is being used, increasingly, for trading in 'identities' but quite why you'd get a sniff if it's found on your phone I haven't a clue?

Andres

Discord is known for use amongst the more ‘extremist’ groups in the UK and further afield. Using it doesn’t mean you’re a loon, but it’s an indicator similar to having a pack of fags and rizlas in your pocket or a wallet full of Western Union receipts.

It gives an indicator on what else the feds may want to look for. Nowt else

Discord is known for use amongst the more ‘extremist’ groups in the UK and further afield. Using it doesn’t mean you’re a loon, but it’s an indicator similar to having a pack of fags and rizlas in your pocket or a wallet full of Western Union receipts.

It gives an indicator on what else the feds may want to look for. Nowt else

There going to be in for a surprise them,

A lot of the merican bike channels are promoting it as a an alternative to Sena & Cardo for bike to bike comms

There going to be in for a surprise them,

A lot of the merican bike channels are promoting it as a an alternative to Sena & Cardo for bike to bike comms

I saw that. As I said it’s just an indicator, I thought better shared than kept to myself.

What I do know is if I’m transmitting a Port, an officer using TACT (Terrorism Act) could see it as a reason to screen you and download your phone. I don’t want that to happen to me or anyone I’m with as
1. It’s a delay
2. I’d be embarrassed them knowing of my fetish for traditionally dressed German serving wenches :D

How would anyone know what apps are on your phone, though, without looking at it? Or am I being naive?

How long would your phone battery last?
It needs to be set up before the ride, doesn't it? Faff
How do you shut it off mid ride when you want some peace, need to stop to disconnect.
The last time i saw something like this it said you only need your standard phone headset
with microphone, no BT required, not going to be much good on a motorsickle imo.
The app i saw a few months ago reminded me of Whatsapp, this does too (may have been the same one, can't remember)

Of course all the above may be bollix; it may be the next best thing :aidan

Someone else has beaten me to it.

Please be so good as to post how you use this, what headsets, how you interface etc.
Very interesting!
Myke

Right , found the video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_UXzU7fthtU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I suppose you will all be branded subversives, by watching it lol ;)

The best thing about going on a motorbike is not having to talk to anyone or pick up the phone.

We (briefly) used Discord at work as a gimmick to keep people "connected" during this lockdown phase, as the audio chat is quicker/easier than making calls on slack.
I can see how (brain damaged) people want to use it on motorbikes, but:

It get's round the incompatible comms unit when you go for a ride, as its not linked to a comms unit only a mobile phone

I guess the usage is more connecting to people that can be a bit out of range for the usual comms devices.
Also, who the fuck goes out for group rides? :D :D

I have a couple of younger friends/acquaintances (late 20ies and early 30ies) that recently got into motorcycling.

They are mostly urban animals (reminds me on when I was 14/16) but also tend to like to ride in packs, the way you see in some US videos. Motorbiking is mostly a social thing, rather than the passion for the bike itself. Most of the “knowledge” comes from YouTube or Facebook groups (debatable information quality). It is an interesting cultural phenomenon.

I think the things combined call for the Discord solution.

Back
Top Bottom