What's the difference between??

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
a Road Bike and a decent Hybrid

with regards to gearing and riding position, why are drop handlebar bikes the most popular with the Lycra clan

Can someone explain what's what and the subtleties of a good road bike

(Not talking about ebikes, of course)

For the lycra mod it's all about speed, so their bikes are lighter, generally made of carbon, stiffer frames, faster rolling tyres, the drop bars give better aero. In regards to gearing, I'm guessing that depends on terrain, for example you'd have a different cassette on if you were doing the Alps compared to Holland.

Not really explaining the difference of what you've asked have i :blast

a Road Bike and a decent Hybrid

with regards to gearing and riding position, why are drop handlebar bikes the most popular with the Lycra clan

Can someone explain what's what and the subtleties of a good road bike

(Not talking about ebikes, of course)

A road bike will have different frame geometry to a hybrid putting the rider in a head down aerodynamic position especially when riding on the drops.

For the lycra mod it's all about speed, so their bikes are lighter, generally made of carbon, stiffer frames, faster rolling tyres, the drop bars give better aero. In regards to gearing, I'm guessing that depends on terrain, for example you'd have a different cassette on if you were doing the Alps compared to Holland.

Not really explaining the difference of what you've asked have i :blast

Thanks about the gearing issue
Didn’t know they changed them

Hybrids are more sit up and beg (some with front suspension) - road bikes more leant forward/down to lessen drag. Gearing can be very similar with lots of crossovers each way. Road bikes tend to concentrate more on getting the weight down.

If you want to do big miles/go fast on the road a drop handlebar bike is the only way to go.

But then to confuse matters you then have semi off road Gravel/Adventure/Cyclecross drop handle bar bikes as well :blast

I have a Boardman Adventure/Gravel bike which has drop handlebars but being as I am mostly using for the road have replaced the 38mm tyres with more road orientated 28mm road tyres which vastly reduces rolling resistance but still allows you to take in on the rougher cycle tracks etc.

I’d say a hybrid is mostly designed and built for city use: commuting, shopping, and general pottering around. They will usually have mudguard and rack mounts for all weather use and carrying stuff. The more upright riding position makes a huge difference where speed is concerned, just moving from riding on the hoods to the drops on my road bike is worth changing up a gear, and slogging into a head wind sitting upright is plain hard work.

I just bought a cyclocross bike to use on and off road, and i find it a good compromise- the riding position on the hoods or tops is quite upright but the geometry gives a direct sporty ride. And it has mudguard and rack mounts and will take tyres up to 35mm.

Hybrids are more sit up and beg (some with front suspension) - road bikes more leant forward/down to lessen drag. Gearing can be very similar with lots of crossovers each way. Road bikes tend to concentrate more on getting the weight down.

If you want to do big miles/go fast on the road a drop handlebar bike is the only way to go.

But then to confuse matters you then have semi off road Gravel/Adventure/Cyclecross drop handle bar bikes as well :blast

I have a Boardman Adventure/Gravel bike which has drop handlebars but being as I am mostly using for the road have replaced the 38mm tyres with more road orientated 28mm road tyres which vastly reduces rolling resistance but still allows you to take in on the rougher cycle tracks etc.

Thanks for that

It’s never straightforward is it ?

i have an expensive ( to me ) Carbon Kuota Road bike, i ride with the local cycling club A team, ( pre lockdown) we all ride these in this group ,due to getting to a cafe at some distance ,45 miles or so away, and at speed , 20/21 mph Avg.

I also have a Hybrid, I use this on leisure rides, flat canal paths around here, low woodlands, and designated cycle tracks. It is a "sit up and beg" ride position, very relaxed, comfortable saddle. I have a choice of tyres which i have collected, so can fit a MTB tyre around 50mm in width ,if I am going on a loose surface, or a 30 mm tyre if I want to ride on the road. You could think of a Hybrid as a cross between an MTB and a Road bike. They are heavier, with flat bars.

Having said all that .....I have just Part exes my Hybrid for a Hybrid Ebike. It is a very similar model to my hardtail hybrid but obviously with an E-motor.

It's all down to being built for a purpose JB.

Here's two of my bikes.

First one is a hand built, Carbon Cyfac which is designed to get me from A to B as rapidly of possible. It's insanely light, stiff in all the right places (ooh err missus), and the geometry is all about being aero, with good fast handling and climbing capability. Look at the drop from the saddle to the top of the bars to get an idea of the riding position.

I used this bike a lot for big Sportives in the Alps and Pyrenees and it cost close to £10k to put together :eek::tears

The second bike is a Thorn Ripio and is built for long distance touring, on and off road whilst carrying luggage. It's made from steel (for comfort) and has an upright riding position, flat bars which all ow different hand positions, smaller, wider wheels with bigger width tyres, and low range gears for climbing. Again look at the drop to the bars, which is much less so a more relaxed ride.

So there's two extremes to illustrate how cycles, much like motorbikes, can be built for a particular purpose. So decide what you want to do and then buy the bike that's designed to do it :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 352
Blimey Toddy, you really would struggle to find two more diverse pushbikes in anyones shed than those two. Like em both.

There is also a lot of difference in the handling. Road bikes can be twitchy at slow speeds or sharp turning. Some hybrids are also more direct/twitchy in their steering but quicker than a touring /MTB bike. Think wide handlebars vs narrow sports bike bars, rake and trail..The closer the 2 wheels are together the more skill / balance is necessary and the tighter/sharper the turn will feel.

It's all down to being built for a purpose JB.

Here's two of my bikes.

First one is a hand built, Carbon Cyfac which is designed to get me from A to B as rapidly of possible. It's insanely light, stiff in all the right places (ooh err missus), and the geometry is all about being aero, with good fast handling and climbing capability. Look at the drop from the saddle to the top of the bars to get an idea of the riding position.

I used this bike a lot for big Sportives in the Alps and Pyrenees and it cost close to £10k to put together :eek::tears

The second bike is a Thorn Ripio and is built for long distance touring, on and off road whilst carrying luggage. It's made from steel (for comfort) and has an upright riding position, flat bars which all ow different hand positions, smaller, wider wheels with bigger width tyres, and low range gears for climbing. Again look at the drop to the bars, which is much less so a more relaxed ride.

So there's two extremes to illustrate how cycles, much like motorbikes, can be built for a particular purpose. So decide what you want to do and then buy the bike that's designed to do it :thumb2

Thanks Toddy

That explains a lot and makes sense

Why steel frame on the Thorn being comfier than alloy ?

Hybrid = can’t keep up

Road = keeping up

Gears are the biggest factor, if your are standard tosser sized, like me it’s all that really matters.

Rolling resistance of the tyres is immaterial if you are fat.

I love my Giant Defy, but wanted a Cervelo but it was £4,500 it was a not happening.

I’m fat, 56 and can ride 50 miles on my road bike, unlike my Hybrid.

Hybrid = can’t keep up

Road = keeping up

Gears are the biggest factor, if your are standard tosser sized, like me it’s all that really matters.

Rolling resistance of the tyres is immaterial if you are fat.

I love my Giant Defy, but wanted a Cervelo but it was £4,500 it was a not happening.

I’m fat, 56 and can ride 50 miles on my road bike, unlike my Hybrid.

I can also ride 50 miles. It just takes one of us longer...

Back
Top Bottom