Uprated battery cables not snake oil after all!

quaycrest

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after spending quite a bit of time and parts trying to improve my 2001 r1150gs battery drain I bought an Enduralast kit from Euromotoelectrics in the USA. Cost was about $20 plus whatever import duties.

So I fitted the kit a couple of weeks ago as directed without removing the existing battery cable. So one lead to starter motor and another to the main engine earth lead which is on left upper rear of engine case.

The main earth point on my bike is just accesible through a gap behind the airbox snorkel. You can just get a cutdown allen key to losen the original hex allen bolt which I replaced with a hex bolt.

Bike now starts first or second press with no strain on battery and no resetting of the clock as had been previously. I am not saying every bike would benefit but mine certainly has.

Just cleaning up the existing earth bonding would probably have had the same effect. All you have done is remove some resistance from the circuit

Engine earth point was shiney and spotless when removed as was the allen bolt and original battery earth end connector.

I added a dedicated power and earth lead to my hexhead when i had poor starting

The leads plus a new recon starter & battery meant i didn't have any further issues

The leads were standard Halfords generic stuff about a fiver each

Yeah exactly the route I took new cheap starter and brand new battery neither of which really cured my issue but probably improved the efficiency once the new battery leads were added.

Back
Top Bottom