Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Corona Virus Side Effect

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The final thing today was to set about removing the very large rear oil seal which was weeping. My major concern was drilling into the hub . I had been told the way to remove it was too to fit a small self tapping screw and then with a slide hammer ease it out. Easier said than done from my previous encounters with large oil seals, but I thought of a way to stop my 2 mm drill from going in beyond the desired depth. I drilled through the centre of a small socket and adjusted the drill in the chuck to stick out 3mm. Blimey it worked a dream .
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I think I'll give my fingers a rest for a day or so now before I tackle the dreaded multi faced nuts on the output shaft connector. If anyone has an easy way of attaching the swinging arm bits to the gearbox whilst being hindered by a large rubber boot please give me the heads up. Bye for now

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    Anyway.. The prospect of this virus to a 65 year old can do funny things.
    Good work on this job.
    As a 63 year old I feel no funny things, and so ask if I can have first dibs on the 90S please??
    Waiting................

What shall I do this morning

I woke up up reasonably early this morning and thought to myself shall I go in the garage and tap away on the g/s or go out for a ride. It was a no-brainer really and I decided to take the GSA ( Big Red) and it certainly is big compared me down to the coast. So I left at 6:30 a.m. and headed for Lulworth Cove then over the army ranges to Corfe Castle and on to Studland , where I had a little bit of breakfast of coffee and jam sandwiches. Home for 10 a.m. just as my wife was getting up. These look ridiculous, can some rotate them please

Not looking forward to this

After lunch I decided to spend a couple of hours in the garage and see if I could torque up the 4 drive shaft bolts and attach the swinging arm boot. In order to do this I had to put the brake shoes on the rear hub, attached to the rear brake pedal and mechanism and refit the rear wheel. That all took about 40 minutes . At first I thought I would just use a spanner as tight as I could turn it to do the bolts , I did a dummy run in the vice but could not get close to 30 nm, so I decided to make a tool from an old ring spanner and old AF socket. 60 minutes later the tool is ready to be tried out. Drilling out sockets can be difficult as is sawing spanners in half. A bit of a bend in the spanner and it worked a treat. I torqued each bolt increasing 5 nm increments from 15 to 30. When I finished each nut I put a tiny punch dot on the edge of each arm to show it was finished.
    I was not looking forward to attaching the one remaining face of of the rubber boot. I had add already attached it to the the swinging arm and had placed the pivots in the frame loosely. I made a small hook shaped tool with a round end to help me get the boot over the lip at the end of the gearbox. Worked a treat and fitted the jubilee clip in next to no time. Time to tidy up all the mess and call it a day.

Pictures

A couple more pictures
    Hopefully oben means top or I am fcuked

Yet another thing to sort out

I thought I would do something this afternoon a little bit more relaxing and just change the oil filter on the bike. The bike had an external filter fitted , probably when it was upgraded to 1000cc by the second to last owner in Austria . Anyway to cut a long story short when I bought it just over a year ago the previous owner gave me what he said was complete kit to service it . So feeling very confident I thought it would be easy peasy this afternoon. Silly me !!!
    I took the crash bar off and disconnected the oil filter cover and revealed inside was a paper gasket, white o-ring measuring 4.15 mm normally and a square rubber ring measuring 3.9 mm nominally. When I remove the oil filter it was the hinge type OX 36 printed on it. This oil filter only has a small rubber washer on the inside and not on both endsIt started out as a 1986 bike so what kit do I buy for it ? any help please.

Pics

Here are a couple more photos

You need an oil filter kit for a bike with an oil cooler. Snowbums article on the $2000 o-ring is worth a read. https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oil.htm . It talks about paper gaskets, metal washers and your oil pressure. It refers out to other articles which involve measurements. Also there is a thermostatic oil filter cover and a non-thermostatic. It seems like a bit of a mine-field so not worth rushing or getting wrong. Also there will be experts on this forum, thinking Mikeyboy who must change these a lot. They are a gold-standard source of advice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345