1190 Adv Tuning and Decat...

cav

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask here as there is a lot of knowledge knocking around.

I have a 2016 1190 which although I keep thinking of swapping for the newer version I should really keep it for the 10k a year commute as its such an amazing bike and add something smaller later in the year. Anyway, I have booked it in with P3 Tuning for a stage 2 Rottweiler filter kit, ECU map (or PCV) SAS delete etc but I'm unsure if I should go ahead and get rid of the cat with a set of these

https://www.dobermann-performance.com/shop/ktm-1190-adventure-208p.html

Expensive but I'm already spending a few quid and may as well sort everything, question is, is the cat that restrictive and will I see decent gains?

This lockdown has given me too much free time and it's costing me dearly!

I kept my original headers and had the cat removed & an engine remap (1290 SA-T). I already had a remus hexacone end can on the bike.

The picture below shows the inside of the cat.....the engine can now breath properly :D

d15ed7a3ec9c76cc403eeab77f1aa27c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That option is on the cards but I want to keep the original headers and the titanium is seductive:drool

That core does look quite restrictive, in for a penny and all that...

If you buy the titanium headers you’ll probably get about 50% of the cost back by removing them and selling them separately when you get rid of the bike. If you cut the original headers you’ll find any dealer will offer a reduced trade in and most private buyers will try to knock you down because of it.

I’m terrible when it comes to impulse buys so probably best ignored on matters like this :D

That option is on the cards but I want to keep the original headers and the titanium is seductive:drool

That core does look quite restrictive, in for a penny and all that...

If nothing else you should find the heat from the rear of the engine/header/cat is reduced.

FWIW I prefer the power delivery of the 1190 compared to the 1290; a bit more visceral/less refined which is more fun in my book...... I've Hilltop'd mine and fitted a DNA filter, not so much for performance but to fatten up the mid range (like it needs it :rolleyes:) and hopefully seal the airbox better. I'm happy on both counts :thumb2

Let us know how you get on :beerjug:

Andres

The DNA filter is advertised as a high flow filter so two questions :D
Can't the 1190 suck enough air with a standard filter?
And
How does a Hi flow filter 'fatten up' the midrange?
:)

The DNA filter is advertised as a high flow filter so two questions :D
Can't the 1190 suck enough air with a standard filter?
And
How does a Hi flow filter 'fatten up' the midrange?
:)

I didn't explain that very well did I...............

The reason I fitted the DNA was, allegedly, it's a better seal/fit in the airbox and it'd keep my throttle bodies nice and clean, the freer flowing bit was incidental. So far my throttle bodies are nice and clean when I do a filter change.

The midrange boost came courtesy of Mr Hilltop.

Neither is related. However, Geoff did say on the first dyno run that the bike was running weak which surprised him as he reckoned the fuelling was always pretty ok on the big KTMs, I hadn't told him about the filter. Fuelling suitably corrected I left Hilltop with a fatter midrange :)

Andres

Thanks for info guys.

The manifold is in the post and as P3 is 2 mins from work I'm tactfully collecting the rest of the parts on either Thursday or Friday (slow drive by with the boot open:D) P3 are loading a generic map to the PCV and will get it custom tuned on the dyno in a few weeks.
Currently got the wheels off and cleaned with a few coats of Gyeon Rim sealant so tomorrow I might start ripping everything out ready for the weekend

I initially just got the cat cut out of my 2015 1190S and re-welded by a stainless expert locally. Couldn't tell the difference externally but I still informed the guy that bought it. Then took it to Hilltop for a remap and dyno run. Coincidentally Geoff couldn't do a pre-tune run as he was worried it was running too weak, so I just got an "after" printout. Now, conspiracy theorists might say that the tune didn't actually improve things much and that's why he didn't want a "pre" printout but I did notice the midrange was a bit fatter, certainly smoother but lost the kick in the pants at 6500rpm. Maybe he saved my engine by mapping it to overcome the cat-less pipe I had been running for a few months, I don't know. Maybe it was smoke and mirrors. TBH I didn't notice much change after the decat, apart from less heat around my ankles.

If I had another one I don't think I'd get it done at Hilltop again. Apart from the £300 cost it was a 400 mile round trip. I don't think the 1190 runs as badly through the range as something like a 1200GS, owners of which make up the bulk of Hilltop's work and they see great results from his stuff. Just don't think the 1190 necessarily needs it.

Ming

I agree about the 1190 running well as stock but this is my third KTM and I've always said I'll do the mods that people rave about so much but never did. This time curiosity got the better of me (and my wallet).
The Dobermann exhaust has just rocked up, 14 hours from Denmark to Chester!

The old manifold, intake and SAS is already off, cleaned and on the shelf ready for the rest of the parts to be fitted. Colwyn Bay who did the valve service did a great job (too good) and used sealant between the throttle bodies and airbox, took a good hour to remove it all!

I was hoping to get a dyno run done before these mods but these lockdown rules put a stop to that, I'll stick the graph up once its done.

Fitted Doberman headers, Rottweiler air box & did the sas delete. Really good mod, haven’t been on a dyno or had a remap and find the fuelling ok.

Good to hear Jersey Bean:beerjug:

How did you find the fitment of the headers? I had to adjust the stop on my center stand as it would clash but it looks like it had been incorrectly set for a while as there were marks on both the stand and the OE exhaust.
Getting the rest of the parts tomorrow so I'll fit it all and get it booked in for mapping. Not back in work until the 26th so I wont be riding it until then.

Good to hear Jersey Bean:beerjug:

How did you find the fitment of the headers? I had to adjust the stop on my center stand as it would clash but it looks like it had been incorrectly set for a while as there were marks on both the stand and the OE exhaust.
Getting the rest of the parts tomorrow so I'll fit it all and get it booked in for mapping. Not back in work until the 26th so I wont be riding it until then.

Was well pleased with the quality and found the fit very good without any mods.

Back
Top Bottom