Google and Gumtree both think I’m a Bot!

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A number of times now, Google has not responded by taking me to my search but to another page which says it thinks I’m a Bot. I then have to click a reCaptcha button and solve the picture puzzle before proceeding.

Now Gumtree has just done the same.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas - clear cookies? History? Do I have malware? I’m on an iPad so no AV loaded.

This is what Google says

"Unusual traffic from your computer network"
If devices on your network seem to be sending automated traffic to Google, you might see "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network."

What Google considers automated traffic
Sending searches from a robot, computer program, automated service, or search scraper
Using software that sends searches to Google to see how a website or webpage ranks on Google

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas - clear cookies? History?

I wouldn't, as the recaptcha actually checks your previous web activity to understand if you are a human.

I used to get that message from the office, because of some bellend running scrapers from our office network.
Usually clears within a day.

Cheers all. Probably the VPN that I run (Nord, excellent).

Thanks for the tip re NOT deleting cookies, er-minio, useful tip. Bit annoyed that reCaptcha looks at my stuff though, I never checked THEIR cookies/permissions!

A

Bit annoyed that reCaptcha looks at my stuff though

Hm they don't really. Don't worry. I think the check happens only client side (on your machine, no data is transferred anywhere).

Back
Top Bottom